Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: the same old story i am sure..  (Read 957 times)

Offline mcardle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
the same old story i am sure..
« on: September 10, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »
but I wanted to post and see if anyone has some helpful suggestions. 

Here is my story:  I have had knee problems since the age of 12, 22 years ago.  I had a Lateral Release done in 1991.  There was a span of time with minimal pain, approx. 6 years, which I am grateful for.  Then the flare ups started.  I have had two MRIs with the conclusion of Chondromalacia, the cartledge behind the patella is gone and it is bone on bone.  Everything swells including the bone and occasionally it locks so I can't bend it.  I have had two shots within the past year to help with the swelling , countless anti inflamatory medication, and physical therapy.  I have gone to see two different doctors with the last one saying that I am just going to have to manage the pain until I am old enough to have a replacement.  I am going to see one last Dr. in hopes that there might me some other alternatives but understand that there is not much else so I am not going to get my hopes up. 

So any insight?  I am a teacher, a mother of three little ones and have a new pup.  I am always on my feet and need to keep up.  Is this all there is?

knee deep in Goo

Re: the same old story i am sure..
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 03:38:41 PM »
They can try Orthovisc injections and see if it takes away your pain. 

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 07:51:45 PM »
The visco-supplementation injections that Goo mentioned are a possibility. There are also others -- especially given your age, activity level and if the damage is confined to only the patella.

You might be an excellent candidate for any of the several articular cartilage resurfacing procedures -- ACI (or MACI, if you're in the UK), OATS, OBI plugs... and a newer procedure which places a small "button" on the back of the patella -- the name of which escapes me at the moment.

At any rate, you do have options. However, it's very likely that the doctors you've seen are minimally aware of these procedues, do not perform any of them themselves, and therefore, don't offer or suggest them. Quite a shame, really.

If you tell us where you are located, we might be able to help you find a doctor. Also, the "doctor finder" page on this site lists good docs in hundreds of locations.

You do not have to just put up with it. You also don't have to wait for a "someday" knee replacement. (You might hear from folks who will tell you that every procedure prior to a knee replacement will fail and you might as well just skip to the knee replacement -- that might be their unique situation, but it does not apply to everyone, and it likely won't apply to you.) You do have options, and the odds are favorable that you can have a functioning knee again. The key is to find the right doctor, who will do the right surgery to correct the right problem.

Let us know if we can help you find a doctor.

Meg

Offline mcardle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »
I am all for someone pointing me in the right direction of a good doctor.  I am located in Nassau County, Long Island, New York.  I am going to see a new dr. tomorrow with the hopes he will give me a cort. shot to help with the swelling. 

Thank you for caring and helping.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:41:39 AM »
I also have problems behind the patella. Because of my age (49), we have decided that a TKA is the best way to go. But my OS told me that if I was younger (in my 30s or close to 40), the best choice would have been a patello-femoral replacement. In this surgery, they only "replace" the PF compartment, leaving the medial and lateral compartments alone (hence, a "partial" replacement instead of a "total knee"). This might be something you should look into if none of the cartilage restoration procedures are right for you.

Don't give up! There must be something they can do for you!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

support