Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 8 days after my Lateral Release op! My knee makes a grinding noise! normal??  (Read 1443 times)

Offline prince22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
8 days post op and im now able to bend my leg slightly, but my kneecap is making a grinding noise, im abit worried, does anyone experience this??

Offline Suzeeknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi,

I had my lateral release done 1st Sept. Have been doing leg raises and bends etc since last Monday. I get a couple of clicks and feels a bit odd on the top right hand side(Had my right knee done) and wasn't having mush grind/clicks on a slight bend; however, when I try and bend past, say 75 degrees( leg off edge of bed and unsupported) that I do get slight grinding/clicking,also feel like it is kind've creaking under knee cap...

Like you, I am hoping that this is normal - I suppose the feeling odd on the right hand side might be the muscle that was over stretched.  Yesterday pm was the first time I managed it. How are you getting on with the exercises?

I have my first physio this week so I'm hoping that they will be able to tell me more; don't know about you but my follow up with the consultant isn't until the end of October, which is a long time to wait to get any answers.

Suze ;)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Give it time...
I have had a LR on both knees.. and for a few weeks, it can feel really strange. Infact mine didn't really start to feel... okay until after I had built up some muscle in physio. My kneecap would grind and clunk and click but eventually that went away... remember your knee is now trying to learn a new set of bio mechanics. And has just been through a farely tramatic surgery.
Hang in there and goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Suzeeknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks Linds,

When you hear other's who haven't been successful it is a little bit of a worry... I'm starting to look like I have a knee again rather than a leg that resembles a sausage which is always a relief! lol!

Have my first session of physio 21st Sept, but am doing the exercises the hospital have given me. Calf feels like lead sometimes though.

Thanks again for your reply.

Suze   ;D

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Hi,, you are welcome...
It's hard to say whether your LR surgery will be effective or not, for quite some time. My Os told me 8 months... 8 months to know. But it has alot to do with what you put into recovery.   The LR hasn't solved all my problems, but it has given some relief from what my OS called Excessive Lateral Pressure Syndrome.   

I couldn't do a straight leg raise until 3 weeks after my surgery on my left knee. My right knee had complications so I can't use it as a guage for anything.   

GOODLUCK and keep up the good work
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?