Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: McConnell Taping  (Read 1609 times)

Offline newbie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
McConnell Taping
« on: September 04, 2002, 05:04:06 AM »
My OS suggested that I try McConnell taping to help with my knee pain until I have surgery (LR) in Dec.  But I am not interested in "wasting" a PT visit (covered by insurace for only a couple more) if the taping method is not going to work.  Any info you have on this method and its effectiveness would be much appreciated.

Offline newbie

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
McConnell Taping
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 05:04:06 AM »
My OS suggested that I try McConnell taping to help with my knee pain until I have surgery (LR) in Dec.  But I am not interested in "wasting" a PT visit (covered by insurace for only a couple more) if the taping method is not going to work.  Any info you have on this method and its effectiveness would be much appreciated.

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
Re: McConnell Taping
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2002, 01:43:56 AM »
newbie, your local sports club (football, netball, whatever) will probably have a "free range" physio who can show you the most efficacious method of taping your knee.  

A lot of the volunteers at the sports clubs actually have a much better intuitive feel for "running repairs" than formally qualified folks, there is normally someone on the coaching staff who everyone swears by.  I have gone to an unqualified "magic hands" bloke for years and he's had much better results than a couple of the flashest physios in my part of the world.

A word of warning though, if it involves adhesive tape, shave the area clean and smooth! :D
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2002, 01:43:56 AM »
newbie, your local sports club (football, netball, whatever) will probably have a "free range" physio who can show you the most efficacious method of taping your knee.  

A lot of the volunteers at the sports clubs actually have a much better intuitive feel for "running repairs" than formally qualified folks, there is normally someone on the coaching staff who everyone swears by.  I have gone to an unqualified "magic hands" bloke for years and he's had much better results than a couple of the flashest physios in my part of the world.

A word of warning though, if it involves adhesive tape, shave the area clean and smooth! :D
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline Cecelia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Art is good therapy
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 11:24:30 AM »
The short time that I was in PT, she did the McConnel taping of my knee and it helped with my pain tremendously. But, it's important that the person doing the taping knows what they're doing. I also believe that if you have any pain with the taping, then there's a problem. Good luck!
Fell on kneecap 10/01. My doctor thinks I have more pain than my injury warrants. I do not make this up. No surgeries as doctor doesn't think they will help me. Gives me 50/50 on TTT.

Offline Cecelia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Art is good therapy
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 11:24:30 AM »
The short time that I was in PT, she did the McConnel taping of my knee and it helped with my pain tremendously. But, it's important that the person doing the taping knows what they're doing. I also believe that if you have any pain with the taping, then there's a problem. Good luck!
Fell on kneecap 10/01. My doctor thinks I have more pain than my injury warrants. I do not make this up. No surgeries as doctor doesn't think they will help me. Gives me 50/50 on TTT.