Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFS - does conservative treatment work?  (Read 1457 times)

Offline kld

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
PFS - does conservative treatment work?
« on: September 10, 2002, 12:03:37 AM »
does anyone get better w/ conservative treatment?  Drs and what i read on the web say that 85% of  people w/ PFS and maltracking repond to PT etc but everyone on this board seems to be doing so badly and needs surgery= why is that- are the doctors lying to us
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 01:14:10 AM by admin »
29 year old athletic female; plica removal 10/02

Iona_-Uk

Re: --pfs success??? ever???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 12:24:48 AM »
It's not that Drs are lying to us, it probably the fact the were are a small proportion of PFS sufferes and the mjority of whom have had bad experiences, but there is some success. myself being one of them.

Yes some people will need surgery and yes some will respond to PT, it varies so much perosn to person, I don't think it is fair to make judgements based on what is said here, we all suffer from knee pain and for some of us, it won't be attributed to PFS but to something else.

Basically, every perosn on the earth is an individual and they will respond differently to treatments that are offered. You may also find if you ask around on the board that some ppl's surgeons are too surgery happy and that is why they have had surgery.

iona

Offline wendy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 01:37:54 AM »
Hi,

I agree. Many people do respond to conservative treatments. You probably won't find many on this site bc they don't need to have as much support as those of us who didn't respond and have to go to greater measures. I did respond to condervative treament when I was younger, but honestly I was so acttive that I never really gave my body a chance. I trained like a triathalete for all of my highschool years bc I loved it. Exercise was my sanity from a large family. Some OS feel that if I wouldn't have been such an avid athlete I may have gotten more results from PT.

I would not change the things I did. Even at 28 needing a PKR and possibly more soon. If I went back I would do the same thing. We all respond differenttly to treatment so I do believe the Drs are telling the truth!!!!

Good Luck

Wendy
began running long distances at age 7. Now I have two knees that have given in to my abuse! 3 scopes, LRs, Patella tendon repositionings, and years of pain. PKR on both. Diagnosed with RSD 3/4/2003.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 05:33:51 AM »
Many people who develop PFS due to a muscle imbalance can be helped by conservative treatment. I think the important thing to remember is that PFS is a syndrome and therefore has so many causes you can't count them. That would suggest that everyone will be helped by different methods. I was born with chronically mis aligned /tilting patellas and therefore all the PT in the world wasn't going to realign them.  HOwver, PT and bracing did allow me to continue with the my active childhood lifestyle!
Take care
Linds ;D
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?