Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cortisone Injections  (Read 5038 times)

Iona_-Uk

Cortisone Injections
« on: September 05, 2002, 12:15:40 AM »
Hi all

Took my other half to PT toady-PT concerned about something but can't quite put his finger on it, something isn't right but he isn't sure what.

He recommended that my other half go back to the dr and get cortisone injections.

Could any one tell me what the effect of these are and how long they help pain for.

Iona

Iona_-Uk

Re: Cortisone Injections
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2002, 12:40:06 AM »
Also can anyone tell us what, if any the side effects are fom having these and if they are a shiort term only solution or can be used in long term pain mangement.

Thanks folks.
Iona

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2002, 06:54:54 PM »
I had the injection in my knee within a month after my injury and it didn't help in any way shape or form.  (Of course, I had torn meniscus).  Also, I'm told that there is a limit to the times you can be injected.  After a very limited number, 4-5, there is a very real possibility of arthritis setting in to that joint.  I believe a cortisone injection is only meant to be a short term fix, and one that didn't do anything for me.

Hope that helps.

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Helen_uk

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2002, 07:03:09 PM »
I have had these in my shoulders and they helped alot .
If its for reducing the inflamation a course of jabs acan help and if you are carefull not to aggravate the problem again it can work long term I still occasisionally have them in my shoulders but if the problem is all mechanical then it wont be of much help.
Before he has them he should consider finding out exactly what the problem is or it could make matters worse.
I have trigger point injections every 3 monthes but these arent directly into the joints.
Good luck
H xxx

Offline adis55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • PFS due to twisting knee, hoping to avoid surgery
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2002, 10:04:01 PM »
I had one a year ago, and I regret it. It made my knee feel very full and stiff, and seemed like right after I noticed my quad had simply shrunk. I had more problems due to weakened quads and the stiffness. Also if some thing is wrong, you probably don't want to cover up the symptoms and make things worse y not getting treated for the problem.

I think that they maybe a good option for osteoarthritic flareups, but if you have a torn meniscus or something, no point in simply trying to kill the pain. I know an older person who suffers from arthritis, and got enough relief from an injection, that she never needed another one.

Your doc should be able to advise you though...

-A
PFS in Rt knee for over a year.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2002, 11:02:56 PM »
He spoke to the GP on the telephone today and he wasn't keen for him to have this without fist addressing what could be causing the pain, i.e could be start of OA and so cortisone injects would help, on the other the GP suspected a torn mensicus so it probably would not help there.

The GP is going to consult with the PT and is ringing my os to make him an appt to be seen with him for his opinion and I will keep you posted.

Thanks all, opal- thanks for meniscus view which is exactly what we needed.

Iona

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2002, 07:21:12 AM »
I had a cortisone injection in my knee a few years back.  It was a horrible, gross experience (nothing like a HUGE needle nudging around under your kneecap).  It hurt like heck for about 3 hours afterward and didn't do a thing to help my pain.  I have heard from several people who it has helped, however, through the years.  It is cheaper and much less stressful than surgery- too bad it didn't work for me!!!
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2002, 12:11:15 PM »
Well he's been reading the replies and thinks that before going ahead with anything he will get an os opinion so is booked in with me on Thursday.

Iona

support