Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthoscope behind the Patella  (Read 1680 times)

Offline LisaMarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthoscope behind the Patella
« on: September 05, 2006, 06:43:46 PM »
Hello All,

This is my first post.I'm glad I found a place online where people are having similar problems with their knees.I'll try to make this a brief history.First off,I'm a 28 year old female.In early 2005, seemingly out of no where I started having knee pains and swelling in my right knee.I would bend down and notice that I could not completly bend all the way.I am not an athlete and was not doing any kind of sports or anything strenuous during this time,just mostly working which requires sitting at a desk all day.As the months past it got worse and worse and then it started to creek and crack and sometimes the knee felt like it was catching or getting stuck then going back to position.I t got so bad that finally I went to an OS and he did an MRI and diagnosed me with having chondromalasia ( I don't think I spelled that right   ;D ) behind my knee cap.He explained physical therapy and surgery and all that and like many cases wanted to avoid surgery so sent me to PT.I did PT twice with 2 different therapists in about a year and 6 months and the knee just kept getting worse.I spent much of 2005 in the house because the pain and the swelling was just too much to walk around and to make matters worse,I'm still not exactly sure how I got it.I took dance lessons 2 - 3 times a week from the ages of 5 to 15.One possible cause,it was also discovered that my knee cap is slightly out of grove and my legs are slightly turned out which if the PT didnt point out I wouldnt have known.I suspect having a knee cap that is less then perfect and wearing a lot of high heal shoes for work and such may not have helped.The PT tried just about everything including taping the knee cap and when finally none of this worked and it got worse and worse the OS set me up for arthoscopic surgery.I had my surgery on May 1 ,2006 .After the surgery,The OS told me that it was worse in there then he had thought and surgery was the right thing because the cartilage was pretty bad behind my knee cap.Anyway,its been 4 months and I am still in PT twice a week ,exercises,ice ,etc. But I am still in pain with it constantly.It is still feeling like the knee cap is grinding and stairs are still difficult.If I walk around too much,I end up limping because i cannot put my foot down without a sharp pain going through my knee cap.The swelling comes and goes daily and the last time I saw him a few weeks ago I tried a steriod shot which did nothing but leave me in more pain for a few days.I have another appointment with him next week and he is going to give me a lubrication shot to see if that helps.I have heard of people having arthoscopic surgery that were fine in days but my OS and PT have both said that this particulcar surgery behind the patella takes a lot longer to fully recover from.More like 12 weeks.But it has been a little over 4 months and I don't feel much better and the PT seems endless.I think my doc is pretty good but now I am thinking of getting a second opinion since it seems like this isnt going anywhere.Is this a good idea?Basically,I wanted to post to see if any one else out there who has had the same surgery how long it took them to recover or what they are doing or trying to try to get their knee back to normal.I really want that!Anyway,I would so much appreciate if anyone can share their experiences with me or if they ended up having more surgeries or anything that helped them and how long it took them to get over this kind of surgery.Thank you so ,so much!I try not to get too down but I have been.Seems like its been forever that I have been an active girl in her 20's.Thanks for your posts.

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Arthoscope behind the Patella
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:23:10 PM »
Hi LisaMarie,

Your knee problem sounds similar to mine. I had a scope on June 6, 2006 to clean up the cartilage on the back of my kneecap. I ended up having a microfracture (drilling tiny holes in the bone in the damaged area) to help stimulate new cartilage to fill in the damaged area. I am currently 3 months post-op and my knee is no better, if not worse. The last time I saw my OS (about a month ago) he said that was normal and that I should really see improvement by 4-6 months. However, like you, my pain has not improved and I still have grinding, clicking, and crunching under my kneecap.

If you feel like your OS can't or doesn't know how to help you anymore, then I would get a second opinion. It definitely couldn't hurt. I wish you the best of luck.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »
What exactly did he do during surgery? Did he just debride the rough cartilage to make it smooth again? Did he do a microfracture (drilling small holes to stimulate new cartilage growth)? The kind of surgery that was done will have a lot to do with your recovery/rehab timeline and how much pain you have. If you don't know what exactly was done during surgery, get a copy of the surgical report.

Did he ever tell you what caused your chondromalacia? Chondro is not a diagnosis in itself. Do some research and you'll see that it means thinning of the articular cartilage, but there can be many different causes. There are some good articles on the Knee Guru website. Here are the links:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/cartilage.html

http://www.casebook.kneeguru.co.uk/index.php/knee/issues/the_kneecap_muddle_how_are_we_going_to_resolve_it/

http://www.casebook.kneeguru.co.uk/index.php/knee/issues/chondromalacia/

If you feel like you aren't getting better and your OS isn't giving you a good reason, it is reasonable to seek a second opinion. Good luck.

Janet
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:30:26 PM by Janet »
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline LisaMarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 03:51:20 PM »
Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for your replies.Any information I can get at this point helps.Thanks Janet for linking those articles.Very interesting.As far as I know,he just went in and filed down the cartilage and flushed it out.He never mentioned anything about drilling holes for new growth,so I'm assuming that he didn't ,but I do have another appointment with him next week so I'll be sure to ask him about that.This has been really hard.I'm a college student and my first day of classes is today and I find myself just moving so slowly.I had PT yesterday and they taped my knee cap again.They did that before the surgery but haven't tried it since but it seems like its just making my knee cap hurt more.I'm a little  confused as to why they do that.If my knee cap is out of alignment ,which it slightly is,it seems that taping it for a couple of days really won't make a difference.Also,when I go back to the OS next week he is going to start giving me a series of injections.It is a lubricant derived from chickens ,I keep forgetting the name of it so I jokingly call it "the chicken shot" . ;)  He thinks it may help.It might because it definetly feels like when my knee cap is moved that it is still grinding and crackling.I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.Has any one had these lubricant injections?If so what were your experiences with them.Did they help at all?I also decided to go and get a second opinion.I found another OS that specializes in knees so I'll be making an appointment there as well.Like you guys say,it wouldn't hurt.I really appreciate everyones feedback.It really helps to read other peoples experiences with this stuff.Thanks again,hope everyone is well today  :)

Offline carolsanavywife

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 02:10:26 AM »
LisaMarie

Did you ever get the "chicken shots" as you called them, because my ortho doc has recommended them and I wanted to talk to someone who has had them.

Carol

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Diving Diva
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 12:43:12 PM »
Hi LisaMarie

The purpose of taping the patella is to try to shift it into the correct position and make it more stable whilst exercising, its not a good idea to have your kneecaps taped for long periods of time as this WILL hurt, it should really just be used to make your exercising easier.  If your pt exercises have not helped and your kneecap is still malaligned I would certainly get another opinion as the longer your kneecap is maltracking, the more damage its doing to the underlying articular cartilage.  My story is similar to yours in that I tried all the pt, taping, bracing and injections but it didn't help align the patella, I eventually went on to have a TTT (tibial tubercle transfer) which has corrected the alignment problems, maybe you should seek another opinion on what surgical options are available to you if the pt, taping, bracing and everything else has not worked.  Good luck.

Natalie.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:45:56 PM by Natalie.D »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline chumpcj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:52:48 AM »
Hi Folks,
 I was diagnosed with Chondromalasia Patella three years ago (perhaps I should say I played a lot of Badminton untill the knee paine became a problem) I was sent for physio and he said my Vastus medialis on both legs seemed to have wasted away. I assume this was because I had started a knew jod (working in a book shop) whereby I was stood all day doing nothing. The excercises that would develope the Vastus medialis agrivated the problem, so I was told what NOT to do and sent home. I studied the mechanics of the knee and how the quadreceps work and devised excercises to develope the Medialis without agrivating the problem. The result is that I cycle to work everyday and once again enjoy badminton. If anyone wants to discus what I did and do, let me know, as Im tired and off to bed (Yawn!)
 Regards CJ (UK)