Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: past knee injury, grinding etc., any advice?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Josh1624

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
past knee injury, grinding etc., any advice?
« on: September 05, 2006, 02:13:12 PM »
about 5 years ago i hurt my knee in baseball, sort of a freak accident, i stepped on a ball and instead of the ball rolling away my knee did. it seemed to roll out sideways and hit the ground with my foot still planted. im sure it didn't actually bend sideways but it at least felt like it. it was difficult to walk for the rest of the day and my knee seemed to give out randomly, never making me fall but many near misses. the buckling of the knee went on a few times a day for about a month. the problem was that i never saw a doctor. i was 18 and in high school, so i guess it was a dumb young decision(i know better now) but now i still have pain sometimes while walking, causing me to limp, and if i put my hand on the outside of my knee and bend i can feel a grinding but no audible noise. also if i sit indian style or with my left leg folded inward for more than 10 minutes or so there is pain. any ideas on what my injury was and if there is any follow-up treatment i need?

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: past knee injury, grinding etc., any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 12:34:04 PM »
Hi,

It sounds as though you may dislocated your patella or at least subluxed (patella jumps slightly out of groove and goes back in again).  The grinding you're having is probably your cartilage on the underside of your kneecap rubbing against the bones underneath which, if left untreated can lead to osteoarthritis.  If you're still having pain and problems I would go and see your doc and get referred to an Orthopaedic Surgeon to get a proper diagnosis, if your patella is maltracking you need to get some advice on the best way to correct this - which may just be a course of intense PT for a few weeks.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements