Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unable to straighten my leg  (Read 4002 times)

Offline stapleman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unable to straighten my leg
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:43:22 AM »
Hello there, new to the board. 

I woke up last Friday unable to straighten my leg due to a stiff knee joint.  I thought that it would wear off and did nothing about it.  I played golf on the Friday.  Unfortunately, this appears to have made matters worse as it remains very stiff and I am unable to straighten imy legy.  I therefore look as though I am walking with a wooden leg!

The odd thing is that this appears to have happened in my sleep. I had not done any physical activity in the preceding week. The knee itself is not in the slightest bit painful until I attempt to straighten it, when it becomes very sore.  There is also no sign of swelling and it is not tender to touch.

I was planning to give it a week or so before I visit my GP, but I becoming slightly concerned.  Any ideas as to what my problem might be?

Many thanks for any help.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: Unable to straighten my leg
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »
Hello,

It's possible that there is some loose material (commonly called a loose body) moving around in your knee. It could have been in there for years and not caused any problems, but now has just happened to move into a place that is inhibiting motion. As to where the loose body came from, it's hard to say, it could be any number of things.

Anyway, that's my guess as to what the problem may be. Probably a good idea to get it looked at fairly quickly. GP may not be able to offer much help, but perhaps can refer you to an orthopedic doctor.

Best wishes.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:17:38 AM »
This happened to me.   I strongly suggest you seeing a OS.  The OS will look at your knee and maybe send you to PT. Physical Therapy.  I do not want to say what excercises you should be doing.. However,  Keep that leg up and put ice on it if your in pain.  Trying to see a GP if you cant get into an OS office for a few weeks.  ( Also If you are in the Uk) It may be months

Offline stapleman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 04:51:41 PM »
Thanks folks.  I am still unable to straighten my leg and my knee is slightly swollen ao I have arranged to see my GP who will hopefully refer me.

Jaci, funny you should say that it may have been there for years.  I had a similar problem about 15 years ago, as a result of tennis, that has never bothered me since. Maybe it has come back to bite me!

support