Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What is wrong with these OS's...  (Read 908 times)

morgan4219

What is wrong with these OS's...
« on: September 04, 2006, 02:10:49 PM »
I was first sent to my Orthopedic Surgeon after my family doctor had sent me to get a MRI on my knee b/c of pain that he was sure i didnt have....The MRI came back that i had torn cartilage...I went to the OS and he said I had runners knee and sent me home w/ exercises to do...A year later i was still in knee pain so i went back.  This time he said he thought it was time for a surgery..So we did it and it went good....Then the next leg was a rush to do it on...Post-Op and i know something is wrong w/ it but my OS keeps telling me it is fine...So then he drains the blood and fluid out and gives me cortosone shots...he said there that should work...Sure it worked for a WEEK...now it is swolllen again and has been for 3 weeks i know something is wrong with hurts to walk and stand for a long time seeing as though my other leg does not hurt like this....If he tells me there is nothing wrong i will be forced to get another opinion...Should I?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: What is wrong with these OS's...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:26:03 PM »
How long is it since you had the surgery and what did he do during the surgery ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

morgan4219

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 11:06:10 PM »
First surgery was last november and second surgery was 3 months ago and they did a lateral release with menisus repair...

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 02:39:47 AM »
Hello, Morgan,

It would not be unusual to have your knee drained within a few weeks post-op and swelling can persist for some time. From your post I don't know when the draining was done. If it was a month or so post-op it is concerning, especially if there was blood present.

I know what it's like when your intuition is telling you one thing and it seems that your OS is not effectively addressing your concerns. It may be time for another opinion.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:56:58 AM »
Hi Morgan,

I think you should get a second opinion if you aren't happy with what you've already been told. Most OS's worth their salt will advise you properly on how to go about doing this, and some may even recommend someone.

Bear in mind that it's your knee and only you know how much pain you're in and how much it hinders your daily activitiesetc. Go with what your head and your knee are telling you.

There is never any harm in a second opinion. It may or may not match the first, but then at least you have a different surgeon's perspective on things.

In the meantime, are you able to control your pain through pain relief, exercises, RICE etc? If not, you should go to your GP in the first instance, if only to control the pain you're in until you have another visit to your OS. Being pain free in my opinion is a must to have a good quality of life.

Let us know what you decide.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation