Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Leg length  (Read 767 times)

Offline lilly_kc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Leg length
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »
Some of you reading my postings lately will figure out that I have just been thinking too much! But..... trying to get my head around this TKR next month, and have new question:

Once my left knee is new and shiny, will it be longer than my right leg with little meniscus left? Seems like there is a good amount of down time between two surgeries, and just wondering how "crooked" I will be and whether that will cause troubles? What about in long run?

Just as an aside - I have been so grateful and impressed by the knowledge and helpfulness of meg and some others. THANK YOU so much!!!!
TKR Left  10.26.06   WOW awesome - I can jazzercise again!
Right rescheduled for 04.12.07

For everything there is a season.... (this year has been my "knee" season)

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
Re: Leg length
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 12:34:18 AM »
Leg length differences can happen following a total knee replacement -- usually when a more-than-usual amount of bone needs to be removed. It is not occur often, though, with competent surgeons. It is also a lot less likely to happen with a first time arthroplasty.

It is more likely that one could have a functional length difference due to an altered gait. A hip hike or a flexion contracture can cause a functional length difference.

In either case, the affected leg is typically shorter. I don't know of any instances where the affected leg ended up longer -- which isn't to say it isn't possible, it's just unlikely.

Your right leg would not have a length change unless it had a significant joint collapse. Simply having had a menisectomy doesn't mean the joint space has narrowed. Many people do well for a long period of time, as long as they have the meniscal rim remaining.

I'm not sure what you mean by the down time between the two surgeries --- are you having another one, also?

If you go to PT, you will probably have a great deal of help with gait training and your therapist can watch for trouble and correct it.

Good luck... I'm sure you'll do great!

Meg

Offline lilly_kc

• Forum Faithful
Re: Leg length
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 03:02:53 AM »
Thanks Meg - that makes sense to me!
And yes, will have TKR on right leg once I recuperate - no clue really, but sort of hoping for spring 07.
Kathi
TKR Left  10.26.06   WOW awesome - I can jazzercise again!
Right rescheduled for 04.12.07

For everything there is a season.... (this year has been my "knee" season)