Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: WEEK 5 NEW START  (Read 8703 times)

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: WEEK 5 NEW START
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 07:34:52 AM »
Thanks ron,
your message was very helpful to me, I have started the diet and I know its going to be a long hall as I have so much to lose but i think 2lbs a week should be my aim.

Im really pleased to have someone who understands as the operation is such a simple procedre and everyone is expected to be up and running straight away but  havent been its been 6 weeks today, I can see improvements though.
im really trying really hard to make myself aware of how i am walking, its really weird how we can forget to walk.

its like what ever is behind the knee at the back of the leg keeps pulling and wont allow me to have full extension yet, but phsyio said I got to keep workin on it and I willget there.

its the stiffness and not be able to do much on my own that gets me down, but i kow it will change soon.

thanks for talking the time to answer my post
xtegs
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT
INNJECTIONS INTO THE JOINT

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 10:08:17 AM »
having a real bad day today,
my muscles are really hurting, the good leg  feels like a muscle has been pulled under the top of my leg when i walk
im still limping off my crutches in the house,

its been 6 weeks from a basic op and im still not 100%, everyone keeps telling me give it time, its normal its muscles dont worry, but i am getting to the point where i think I will never be back to normal, i thought what i had done was a normal procedure and after wards people walk out of the hospital without crutches not me!

I really am sorry for having a vent but im fed up, im not getting any better.
how long does all this take??
xxtegsx
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 12:55:43 PM »
Tegs, in rehab, we all have good days and bad ones. I am sorry that you are having a bad one but it will get better. the trick is to not let the bad days get you depressed. Just get thru them and work towards getting better. It has only been 6 wks, be patient.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 12:59:13 PM »
thanks stiles
I am trying to push through it, my sirgeon called me back today as I left a message for him, im going in to see him next week he said he will have a chat with me and put my mind at rest.

has anyone else been through this from a menisectomy, how much longer does it take for all the twinges to go from muscles xterssa
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT

Offline GolfGrl72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 09:02:57 PM »
Hi there!!  I am reading your posts for the first time, and I am sorry to hear that you are still having some pain and discomfort.  Don't push yourself no matter what anyone says to you.  My PT said to me one day, you really think you should be on crutches??? And now I walk around with a limp and a wierd gait because I feel stupid using them.... The power of suggestion. So keep your pace, and realize, not everyone heals the same.  Also, know that sometimes...it's okay to be down.  We are only human and that frustration is a natural emotion, no matter how we feel.  So be proud of your accomplishments and love your good days! Remember, there will be even more to come.  Good Luck!!

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2006, 09:38:40 AM »
thanks for your reply.

I got a quick question the other knee is playing up lots of muscle pullings and shooting pains, not big ones little ones in the good knee, is this normal and it doesnt mean theres damage there does it?
xtegsx
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 03:41:03 AM »
Most likely you good one is just tired of compensating for the bad one. I had it too. That's why it's important to try and distribute your weight  evenly or as much as you can.  Your PT should give you suggestions on how to make the good knee feel better.

Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 03:16:09 PM »
hiya,
went to physi yesterday and she said i dnt have to go back for a month now, i have to practise my walking without crutches and a limp now which im finding hard, i got to do my exercises at home to.

i keep having weird sensation in the knee thought, like little catching,or sticky feeling it doesnt hurt, im assuming its everything going back to normal.
im finding it hard to get the motivation i need to do the whole diet thing,.

Hope everyone else is ok
terssax
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 05:01:57 AM »
Hi - you are absolutely where you should be!  It took me at minimum 3 months to get to walking sort of ok (limp and weird gait) without crutches, and to build up enough muscle to get around without tiring out the "good" leg.  I had my second (both knees done in 2005 - year of the knee) meniscectomy in early June 2005 - then it wasn't until late Sept., after PT three times a week most of that time that I started going to the gym and left off the PT.  I think I still used one of the grocery store carts you ride around in as late as the end of August because I got so tired walking in the store with either a crutch or a cane.  I spent at least two days a week at the gym with a trainer guy for several weeks before I even felt really strong.  I have no idea how I was even walking upright, I had so little real muscle in my legs.  Now I've been at the gym for a whole year and feel good, but of course still have pain and twitching and sometimes swelling and my knees just plain hurt a lot (arthritis, bone on bone).  But I'm strong.  Don't despair, it will get better.  You just have to keep working on the exercises and use the ice and the anti-inflammatories.  I'm putting ice on my knees about once a week even now, just 'cause it feels good.  It takes a long long time to not think about walking and paying attention to every little pain.  You're right where you should be!  Hang in there.
--Denise
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 04:04:22 AM »
HIYA ALL,

Im off to see os today real one! so he can answer questions for me, im still getting a lot of swelling in the feet and need to know why? things going ok, im getting a little more mobile now, and taking one day at a time,
hope your all ok.
xtegs
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2006, 06:06:29 AM »
Sounds good !! Good luck today !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2006, 07:41:30 AM »
Hiya all,
went to see OS and they have removed a tear in te back of my discoed meniscus then cut it to normal shape.
He said because I have had had this problem for 7 years then i need muscle building and to learn to walk properly.
He said this will take months, I asked him all thequestions I needed to and I felt happy about everything.
I  have minor wear and tear in the knee like everyone else so nothing to worry about and he said it wont lock again because the tear is not there anymore.

I do have one question though, my ankles feet and legs go massive due to extra water and swelling, im 2 months post op and pver the last 3 weeks have started walking around with a bit of a limp but im walking, will this water and swelling eventually go.
any answers greatfully recieved
many thanks
x
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2006, 06:03:24 AM »
Good to hear you got a favorable report and that your mind has been set at ease for at least the lock up problem.

Too bad you didn't have your questions all written down for your OS on the swelling issue. Give them a call back and see what they say . Since they have seen you and know your situation you would be better off getting advice from them Terrsa.

Hope you are now determined to build that muscle up and get your weight to where it should be. All my best to you! Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2006, 09:14:03 AM »
hi,
thanks for your reply.
I didnt ask my OS as it wasnt so bad then, over the last 3 days its got terrible.
I wasnt abl to do my exrecises for 2 days so I am wondering if its to do with that,and thats why all the fluid has collected together, Im going to start them again today and then see from there where we go.

thanks terssax
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »
Hang in there..there are ups and downs..this with having swelling some days too.
You are doing great, it will take time but you have come a long way already.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.