Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New problem - Popping / cracking  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
New problem - Popping / cracking
« on: September 03, 2006, 04:34:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

Couple of week ago my right (TTT) knee started popping and cracking everytime I stand up/sit down/bend my knee - it's done this before but always gone after a day at the most.  This has now been going on for about three weeks and is starting to get uncomfortable when it does it.  Anybody any idea what this could be or what I should do about it?

Thanks in advance

Jo
-x-
Jo-UK

TTT right knee October 01  RSD diagnosed October 02, Arthroscopy left knee Oct 04

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: New problem - Popping / cracking
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
I'm an ACL rehabber, 4 months post-op and I get the cracks also. They are diminishing more and more each week as muscle is built up. I really believe the pops and cracks that are not painful are because the muscle isn't doint it's job 100% yet and causes the joint to move more than it's used to and you get the rubbing of tendon on bone, etc. Some of mine are quite loud! EEK! I always get a big one in the morning before getting out of bed and I know it's from my muscles being tight. As you work out your muscle it seems to get tight too at least it does for me. Keep stretching if your protocol allows it and you'll find hopefully that once the muscle is built up again (could be months), the cracks and pops will go away.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »
Hello, Jo,

If I'm reading correctly, your TTT was some time ago (2001). The cracks and pops could be from weak muscles, but I think it may be time to get checked out by a doctor, especially because the symptoms have changed from what they were in the past. The doctor may just send you for another round of physical therapy, or suggest that you resume your old PT program. To me it just sounds like something you should have looked at if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Take care,

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:08:53 AM »
I'd get it checked out. Ask for a standing Xray maybe..  It may be bone rubbing against bone.

Offline Jo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »
Thanks all for your replies,

Yes TTT was nearly 5 years ago now and because of the RSD (that wasn't diagnosed until 18 months later) my muscles are and have been for the last 5 years badly wasted particularly the quads - however I've never had this cracking / popping for more than a day and it's never been uncomfortable - just isn't going away this time?

My last x-ray about 2 years ago showed my knee was degenerating badly and I was advised that I will need a new knee at some point in the future although my age is against me.

I have spoken to my GP who is concerned at this new problem - so much so that I'm being sent back to my O/S - will keep you all posted.

Thanks again
Jo
-x-
Jo-UK

TTT right knee October 01  RSD diagnosed October 02, Arthroscopy left knee Oct 04

Offline Brownie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 10:07:30 PM »
I'm not an expert but, although many posters here have connected pop/cracking with muscles, I certainly know from my own experience that could also be worn articular cartilage and/or meniscal damage.  I agree with the comment that the fact that your symptoms have changed is a kind of yellow flag indeed - this should be checked.  Remember, OA (osteoarthritis) is more or less inevitable, only some will be so fortunate as to never know it.  One thing worth contemplating is whether your lifestyle may be hard on your knees.  Being overweight, repetive activity (my situation), congenital predispositions such as varus (knock-kneed) or valgus (bow-legged) or such, athletic activity like soccer or basketball, etc.

Brownie  8)