Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help im only 14!!!  (Read 793 times)

morgan4219

Help im only 14!!!
« on: September 03, 2006, 01:33:06 PM »
I am a fourteen year old female and i am very athletic...I had my first lateral relase with meniscis repair when i was 13 in november 2005...everything went good with that surgery so they decided it was time for my right leg...my right leg was done almost 3 months ago and it has been a living nightmare....I have done continually physical therapy with both legs like 6 to 8 months worth... I fell 3 times the day of surgery on my right leg...and have had some continual falls b/c i have no stabillity in my leg...about one month ago my leg was swolen and would not go down....so they drained 5 things of blood out of my knee and gave 2 cortosone shots....it was unswollen for about a week now it is big as it was....i had nothing like this with my left knee.... Now im having a lot of pain and it is unbarable...my OS once told me that your ligament could grow back together with scar tissue then they would have to do the surgery again possibly...has this ever happened to anyone?  Now i have this thing on the lateral side of my leg that i can move around and is not on the other Knee....Anyone have any idea what it is...I go to the OS friday so maybe he will finally give me some awnsers....if you have any comments they would be greatly appreciated....I would really like to be able to return to softball by next week...although i know i wont....

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help im only 14!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 03:17:41 PM »
Hello and welcome. Unfortunately, I'm sorry you find yourself here in this forum! While I don't have any medical advice for what is going on with you (your OS will most surely let you know on Friday), I just wanted to write and say God bless you and wow, you are really a tough one. I have no doubt you will return to softball with your kind of toughness, but in the right time, just try to be patient and do what is best for your knee right now because you will have it for the rest of your life, long after softball. Hang in there and keep us posted!  :)
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Talli05

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 01:15:05 AM »
Morgan,
     I'm not going to be too much help but what your OS said about scar tissue is correct. Occasionally after surgeries our body's tend to want to over heal and they develop quite a bit of extra scar tissue that certainly causes pain, and most of the time a limited range of motion. I developed scar tissue after my surgeries and I did have a third operation where my OS went back inside the joint to clean that up. It's possible that after your lateral release scar tissue developed around the incision, however I'm reluctant to say that your situation is just because of scar tissue, especially since you were saying they drained blood from your knee. I do hope you get back out there and continue to stay active, its quite heart breaking to have bad knees hold you back. Good Luck!
                                               Laura
2 surgeries dedicated to plica removal. 1 to remove scar tissue in my left knee. And another “pie crusting” of my IT Band. As of 2012 I am still not recovered.

Offline kera4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 06:35:05 AM »
Dear Morgan, I had lateral releases on both my knees back in 1999, and did extensive PT (about 6 months). During that time I developed excessive scar tissue where the lateral releases were done. Specifically, under the portal site where the surgeon went in. It started out as small and over the next couple years grew bigger. In 2003 I had 2 surgeries to remove the scar tissue. It never limited my range of motion, but it limited how far I could walk or stand. It was very painful and frustrating! Ask your surgeon about the possibility of scar tissue. Looking back on it, I wish I had pushed to have the scar tissue removed sooner. Good luck! Kera