Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Metal in shiny new knee  (Read 1062 times)

Offline lilly_kc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Metal in shiny new knee
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:19:03 PM »
 ;) I am schedule for knee replacement next month, and a thought just popped into my mind. Lots of jewelry makes my skin break out etc - I wonder if anyone knows what these guys are made of, and is this something i should talk about?  Anyone had any problems?
TKR Left  10.26.06   WOW awesome - I can jazzercise again!
Right rescheduled for 04.12.07

For everything there is a season.... (this year has been my "knee" season)

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: Metal in shiny new knee
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:52:08 PM »
Hello Lilly_kc,

It is possible for people to be allergic to the metal in knee replacements, so this is definitely something you should talk about with your doctor. Be sure to mention it sooner, rather than later in case your doctor has to order a special prosthetic for you.

I don't know if you've found the knee replacement board further down in the knee arthritis section. I remember reading posts on this topic sometime in the last year or so. You can either look back through the different threads or try posting a similar message down there. The TKR group is pretty active. They can probably give some answers, plus help you get ready for your upcoming surgery. They're also a really supportive group of folks in case you need some emotional support along the way.

Best wishes,

Jaci
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 07:04:50 PM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:58:55 PM »
Hi Lilly
I was worried about this as anything but gold makes me break out in a rash - but my knee is fine (titanium)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:21:38 PM »
If you are allergic to metals , by all means tell your OS. There are some amounts of nickle in the implants. I know some people who have reacted to the implant and went thru painful times before Dr finally tested for allergy. One person had the implant company send sample disks of the 3 metal components of the implant the OS planned on using and took them to her allergist where they taped them on her back for a week to see what reaction she would have. Others have done the same type of testing thru an allergist. Some people are also allergic to the cement used. I've read where if you have a bad time or can't wear acrylic nails then you might react to the implant cement. There is a forum for knee replacements called  delphi  "onourfeet/jointreplacement   that several people post on this subject. OS's aren't very in tune to the allergy thing just like many don't recognize athrofibrosis. Also , in regards to TKR, not all problems show up on xrays . Too many times patients have a problem and the response from the OS is well, the xrays like fine. Most of my problems did not show up on an xray, but I had an excellent OS who went beyond just relying on an xray and knew what was wrong to correct it.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:25:04 PM »
p.s    I think there is a blood test called the "Melisa" test for metal allegies. It is a very special test and is sent away for results. Someone a long time ago posted on this.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA