Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyaluronic acid by injection  (Read 1285 times)

Offline helinman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hyaluronic acid by injection
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:43:59 PM »
Where can I find physicians with the ability to perform intra-articular knee injections in the UK, Hyaluronic acid injections may be an option or cure. My doctor and the private hospital I contacted knew nothing about  hyaluronic acid injections.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
Re: Hyaluronic acid by injection
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
did you get an answer to this ?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:23:04 AM »
Every doctor that I know in the US can do these injections. But many won't do them because the results are poor. My doctor doesn't bother. These are not a cure by any stretch. If they work at all the results are temporary. My last doctor gave me the injections several years ago. They were completely useless, extremely painful and a very expensive waste of money.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »
I have had my 3rd op on left knee ... and the outer side of knee joint is very poor condition, no auricular cartilage left ..bone on bone damage.
It was cleaned up, is there any post op treatment at all that helps ?
Injections, oral drugs,

I take Glucosamine (1000mg)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »
Once you're bone on bone there's very little that will help except a knee replacement. Don't waste your money on supplements. You're better off buying a bike. The movement will keep your knee mobile and help lubricate more than anything else. I had a partial knee replacement last year. I'm doing very well but any time I stop exercising for any length of time my knee gets stiff and sore. All I have to do is get on the bike or in the pool and my knee feels a lot better.

Offline Osprey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 05:34:28 PM »
only 3 weeks post op at present, still swollen, and very stiff/limping after any period of inactivty - other than lying down .. guess it does not like being bent and imobile.

I fly a lot on business, and I limp like a geriatric after a few hours in economy.

I'm due back to see Surgeon in 3 weeks ... I'll have to discuss next steps ...
He quickly mentioned Cadaver transplant, partial knee replacement, and a new technique he is undertaking where discs are inserted in the knee.
Transplant from my own cartilage is not an option.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »
jathip,
I totaly agree with you. The gluecousome and chrondrite don't do anything.
Biking makes a huge difference. I was an avid walker and hiker and as much as I love hike I have cut done very much  to almost never and added Biking. I bike at least 5 days a week even if I'm low on time I try to get on for 3 miles. I have a great bike for road and paths  altough I mostly on paved paths or road. I also have a stationary bike for bad weather.

Jathip I've noticed you always have good tips. Keep up the good help.

Osprey-
I had poor results with cartilage transplant and wished the doc I had (being key work) discussed other options such as cadaver. I had transplant 11 yrs ago and it never fully took, long boring story.
I get you on sitting for long periods. I can not be in a car for more than half hour without having to get out. Makes for long trip. that is why we don't travel to far or we plan extra so I can get out. I feel for you.
As much as I hate to say it try good shoes, sneakers or inserts. I can not wear heels..EVER very painful. I wear sneakers alot and can in my job, does yours allow this? This might help with the limp. But I don't think as much as getting up and walking around after an hour.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008