Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: when can I bend my knee  (Read 921 times)

Offline jerrymane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
when can I bend my knee
« on: September 02, 2006, 03:45:45 PM »
Hi, I had meniscus removal with ortho 17 days ago. I am just wondering how long it will take before I can start bending my knee without pain. My knee is doing quite well really just don't do stairs without feeling like a very old lady, only 41. Bruising only occured on my calf, weird right. That is where most of my pain is, behing my knee and calf. Anyone with any ideas. the doc said I didn't need pyhso so if anone has tips on stretches and stuff that I can do at home that would be great too.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: when can I bend my knee
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »
Hello,

It generally takes several weeks for the pain to subside, but you should begin doing some kind of at home physical therapy immediately so you can regain your full range of motion. If your OS placed any limitations on how much you should bend, follow those instructions.

There is some great info on rehab on the KNEEguru's website. Here's a link to the home page in case you haven't found it yet. Look for 'knee rehabilitation' in the index along the left-hand side of the page.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/

Start with the early rehab exercises, you may already be doing them; you should move pretty quickly to the intermediate exercises. It's particularly important to get full passive extension asap. You can do this by lying on you back or sitting with your legs stretched out in front of you, then prop the foot of your affected leg on a rolled up towel and just let your leg relax and straighten.

The lying wall-slides are one of the best exercises you can do to gain flexion (bending). There are pictures of it shown in the intermediate exercises, but you can start it immediately. I find it works best to lie with your behind about 8-10 inches from the wall and support your affected leg by placing the foot of the uninvolved leg behind your ankle. Let your affected leg relax and let gravity and your unaffected leg do all the work. Bend as far as you can without pain, a little disconfort is okay, then push your leg back up to straight using your uninvolved leg. (I hope thiat makes sense, looking at the pictures should help.)

I do lying wall-slides on a door that has a sort of slick surface and put a sock on my foot. Just make sure no one can open the door while you're using it. Or, you can use a wall and put a plastic bag over your foot to make it slide better. Some folks use the refridgerator door, but I find my tile floor is a little too hard on the tail-bone. 

Be sure to ice and elevate your knee immediately after you do your home exercise program and throughout the day to reduce pain and swelling.

Good luck with your rehab. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Take care,

Jaci
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 08:55:58 PM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 04:44:02 AM »
Hi again,

Do you have access to a stationary bike? It's a great way to rehab your knee and help get it bending. Start out by just rocking back and forth as far as you can go if you can't turn a full rotation. Here's a link to KNEEguru's article on the benefits of cycling:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/insights/doku.php/rehab/cycling01

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 07:49:57 AM »
hiya i had the same surgery as you and i am 5weks down the line, i couldnt bend for weeks, but am now starting to, I have beenthrought the physio exercises and is getting better just really stiff lateral side and inthe knee, I am sure this will disapear, I dont know about you but i am exteremly scared to move the knee, and this is why I had so many problems ,   dont be scared though push throughit and it will be ok.

heres to a speedy recovery for you! ;)
tegs
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT
INNJECTIONS INTO THE JOINT

Offline jerrymane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 06:05:15 AM »
Thank you all so much for all of the advise. Wish I had noticed this excerise help 3 weeks ago. But oh well never to late. I think that I'm doing pretty good on my own. Did the stairs today without much pain. Hurts more to go down than up. Thank everyone for the concern love this web site.
Healing in Omaha