Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Important question  (Read 788 times)

Offline Laza

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Important question
« on: September 02, 2006, 11:11:09 AM »
Is there a possibility that something really bad happens in the knee (meaning breaking one or more of the structures that form it) and in the 12-24 hours after the possible injury there is minimum or no swelling? I am asking this because I am really troubled. I had the ACL and the meniscus repaired on 17 february this year and I am playing soccer for about 1 month now with no problems except some feelings and pains that are described to me by evryone as normal. A few days ago I was chasing a ball which I reached pretty hard because it was almost going out and when I tried to stop and turn I fell and felt something in the knee (very hard to describe the feeling, as something moved inside it) - during the last months i had many different feelings and in the majority of cases they were bothering but they all went away - . I stopped playing of course and i felt a minor pain on the right side of the leg, just under the knee and I only felt it at some leg movements and only for a few days. What I am asking if something coud have broken (i am reffering at the ACL in a special way but also at other structures) or could it be a sprain or strain? Or just a few fibres of the ACL could have been affected? I remember that when I broke my ACL, the next day the knee was really swollen and I couldn't extend or flex the leg to the max. Of course, when I got home I put some ice on the knee but as far as I know when something really bad happens the knee wil get swollen a lot and range of motion will be affected. I would really appreciate some opinions on this. Thanks a lot

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Important question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:34:40 AM »
Swelling isnt always an indication that there is something wrong in the knee.  When I completely ruptured my ACL I had very little pain, and no swelling.  So much so that it took 5 months to find a Dr that would take me seriously when I said I thought I'd torn the ACL.  While in most ACLtears one of the first signs that you have done it is swelling, it does not always happed. 

I'd go and see an OS and ask them what they think is going on in your knee...... that is the only way to know for sure.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline Laza

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Important question
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
Of course I will go and see my OS, no question about it.  ;D I just wanted to know if someone experienced something that matched what I described and if it's possible to be just a sprain or  a strain.