Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee manipulation  (Read 889 times)

Offline va

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee manipulation
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:45:41 AM »
Hi I am in my early 50's I justhad double knee replacement six weeks ago,For many years I was overweight lost alt but because being so overweigh I had arthritis and could not berd my knees. I have been having pt, tomorrow I will be getting a dynamic splint for the knee since my knees are so stiff, on the 19 I will be having knee maniipulation , has anyone ever had this before please tell me all about it thanks ;)

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: knee manipulation
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 02:25:35 PM »
Hi I am in my early 50's I justhad double knee replacement six weeks ago,For many years I was overweight lost alt but because being so overweigh I had arthritis and could not berd my knees. I have been having pt, tomorrow I will be getting a dynamic splint for the knee since my knees are so stiff, on the 19 I will be having knee maniipulation , has anyone ever had this before please tell me all about it thanks ;)
I had a TKR 8 months ago. Just because you are overweight is not a conclusive for having arthritis. That is usually why people have knee replacements and as many young people have them these days as older people. I am 59 years old and am not overweight.  At five months I had a manipulation but wish I had it sooner. My PT screwed up in not notifying my Doctor of the problems. I complained about pain continually, especially on the inside of my knee. This was caused by scar tissue and is quite common in people under 60.

A manipulaition is where they take you back into the operatibng room and under anesthesia the Doctor bends your knee under different ROM to break up the scar tissue. be glad you are having it this early as your rehabilitation should go smoother. The procedure takes about 5 minutes .Don't be fooled. This is not a quick fix. You have to do extensive PT after, including the day of the manipulation. For me it was 5 days in a row and for others it has been as much as 5 weeks every day. It all depends on your Doctor. The first 5 months was terrible for me but after the manipulation I did great immediately. What a difference to be able to bend the knee. Hasn't your doctor explained this to you. Don't be afraixd to ask questions. You need to get the therapy appointments lined up before the manipulation. Becky