Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Total Knee Replacement  (Read 1564 times)

Offline kv1107

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Total Knee Replacement
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:43:35 PM »
I need some input/ideas on how to handle my hospital phobia and needle phobia.  I posted before about previous knee surgeries - but each time I went in to have the work done - I was a complete basket case.  They've tried to sedate me befor going in - but I have such a high tolerance for any type of med's that - they poor folks at the hospital have a very hard time keeping me down.

Quick story - At one time I was able to find my way out of the pre-op center and get to the outdoor sidewalks - in my surgical gown - they had a wheel chair under me in no time and I was given something a little stronger than the norm - to keep me down.

I am open for suggestions - I am in a great deal of pain all the time - I'm on oxycontin right now to manage my knee and some other damaged parts of my body - but I am taking myself off of this prior to the surgery.

Any help - suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

KV

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Total Knee Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:50:59 PM »
KV,

I don't really know anything about phobias and such but what about trying some hypnotherapy or something like that? I've heard that some people have really good results with these sorts of things for various phobias, stopping smoking etc, or maybe some councelling sessions to talk over your fears?   Good luck, I hope you manage to get something that helps.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline kv1107

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 03:32:41 PM »
Thank you for you advice - that's just the kind of input I'm looking for (a bunch nicer than the previous one from Luckygrandma)  - I've just set up some guidance counseling with the hospital staff - they're going to work with me up to the very day of the surgery.

I appreciate it!

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:35:17 PM »
KV,

I used to live with someone who had a terrible phobia of hospitals, needles, blood, you name it, anything medical, he couldn't even go and visit his only son when he was ill so I do know how hard it can be even though I've never experienced it myself.  Good luck with the councelling!!  ;D

Natalie.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 03:38:13 PM by Natalie.D »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:03:51 PM »
Hi KV

That is good that the hospital are going to help you , didn't know they did such a thing !

Also think you should know that there are hell of a lot of us that go through this major panic, tears etc before we go into hospital - nothing wrong with it - it is just fear of the unknown.
When are you having your TKR?
I had mine on  july 10th and it was much much easier than I thought it was going to be - probably because it is one of those surgeries where you get to use your operated leg within hours of the op - no hassles of having to be non weight bearing or on crutches for weeks on end - I was really suprided - it is a good one considering it is major surgery ;D - and you feel the benefits quite soon - no osteo arthritis pain anymore - just op site pain - for which you get decent pain meds!

Wishing you all the best with it. We will all be behind you ;D and you can rant as much as you like here!

Take care

anj
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 07:11:15 PM by anja »
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:11:59 PM »
KV,
I was about to say hypnotherapy too, you need to be talked into some coping techniques that you can do when you undergo the things that you find causes you anxiety.
I too had my TKR in May 2006 and a PFR 17 days ago.
Its a lot easier than you think it will be like Anja says.
I was never worried about any of my ops, but I was stressed about my TKR, and even had night terrors before the op, jumping out of bed screaming and pulling at the curtains and pictures.
I saw a psychologist about this and it did help, she told me how to work through after it happened, and they reduced greatly.
But the surgery is not as bad as you work yourself up for.
So get the help and I'm sure you will feel more at ease.
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 09:44:09 PM »
I been thinking long and hard to respond to your post.   I can tell you I am just doiwn the road from a TKR.  Sometime in October is all I know.

I think just meditation deep breathes may help you.  . Hell yes I am frightened of all these things too. 

When I had blood drawn the first time for my surgery in Jan. I took advantage of all the medical staffs support.   Holding someones hand.. is powerful.

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:40:37 AM »
How about trying a personal stereo, you can listen to your favourite music, close your eyes, concentrate on the music instead of whats going on around you? ;D
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline kv1107

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 08:46:08 PM »
First and Foremost - Thank each and everyone of you for you kind thoughts and words - what you all have done in just responding to me has helped me tremendously.

The hospital has had me on deep breathing and meditation and they have got me training on Tai Chi - which will help me with my phobias and help stretch my muscles - which is very necessary as some of you TKR grads already know.  You get a new knee joint but you keep the same old muscles.

Again, you have all made me feel better and your support is more than I could have ever expected.  I'll keep in touch and let you all know what's happening!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »
Hi KV

That is really good news! ;D Keep it up and hope it all works out really good for you.

D ;Don't forget we are here if you need to rant, moan ,groan or celebrate with us!

anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

support