Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Medial Plica  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Trek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Plica
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:08:09 PM »
Hi folks! :)

Is there anyone "out there" who have had a similar diagnosis (medial Plica) and recovered.

I’m doing Triathlon (I did) and have been competitive. I got this diagnosis already two years ago, but have avoided surgery due to extremely good results with use of radial "ESWT (Swiss dolorclast), which kept me pain free for 3-4 months after each treatment.

I did my last Triathlon competition in March this year, and well today its looks like it really was the last!

However this year I decided to go for surgery (naive) with the intention to be permanently injury free!

Well I’m 4 months postoperative and have more problems with my knee than ever before. ???

The rehabilitation included strengthening of muscles around the knee and stationary bicycling
I avoided any strenuous training, included running on my knee until 11 weeks postoperative.

When I try to run I get the similar pain as before on the medial side, but what worse is that I now also get pain in front and on the lateral side of my knee and can for the mostly run slow 10 minutes.

Maybe I not should complain. Sure many people with injured knees can’t run at all and my thoughts go to them, but consider my background before surgery with 10-12 hours training a week, I really feel knocked down. :'(

I was in so... doubt before the surgery and today ...

However this can’t be the end... Please tell me that someone have picked it up again and got back to things.

Hope…

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Medial Plica
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 08:15:08 PM »
trek,

i had my left medial plica removed about 4 years ago, and the first year i did not have pain on the inside where it was. all of a sudden i have pain on the medial side near the knee cap and on the joint line on the inside. so now i am waiting to hear what is going to happen next. hope that helps you

margaret
"ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" ~SPAMALOT

Offline Talli05

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:02:18 AM »
Trek,
        I have had a similar diagnosis but I have not recovered, completely, however my pain now is different than it was before my operations, so there is a possibility that they did some good. I'm wondering how gradually you started back up your training, because any type of sudden increase in running, biking... can set you up with patellar tendonitis and illotibial band syndrome, both of which are overuse problems, the tendonitis below the knee, and itbs on the side. I can't say that's the case but you might want to look into some of those posts and information and see if your symptoms match either of those. And this board is for complaining, everybody is welcome to express their frustrations and grief no matter how insignificant their situations may seem to them. We have a lot of severe cases on these boards but its a wonderful community of knowledgable, empathetic people who can't wait to help others.
      Laura
2 surgeries dedicated to plica removal. 1 to remove scar tissue in my left knee. And another “pie crusting” of my IT Band. As of 2012 I am still not recovered.

Offline Trek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:06:27 AM »
Hi!

”Margaret19”
Positive to hear that you at least have been pain free a period.
Unless the pain you have discovered lately is another injury I would highly recommend trying
“ESWT” (http://www.ems-dent.com/medical/en/swiss_dolorclast.htm)
It is a bit pricey but very effective and the best part is that you can keep active the 3-5 weeks the treatment last.
I will try myself in a few weeks and hope that it can help me also after surgery!

“Soccerblond52”
Hard to admit, but it can be I have increased my training a bit to much and fast, after the initial 3 month rehabilitation period was over. Very insightful what you are saying about
both patellar tendonitis and illotibial band syndrome. The description fit my “new pain”
I also have very tight itbs, so well you hit the nail. I will check out the board regarding symptoms from the above injuries and take it from there. BTW, could not avoid seeing your signature, you have really been into it with your knees. How do you cope with it! :o

Thanks to both of you for giving me more insight about “Plica” and your own experience with the said injury.  :)

Trek

Offline agatha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »
Hi,
          I hope your knee problem is improving.  I'm facing exploratory surgery for possible  plica even though doctors cannot see (MRI, xrays)  any problem in my knee.  I cannot walk going forward because my knee locks with pain but I don't have any swelling ever or tenderness and I'm able to do almost anything else without locking or pain.  What were your symptoms for plica syndrome?  I'm really nervous about surgery because it seems as though plica surgery success is not that common.  And I have some symptoms but not all and it's hard to figure out which ones matter in diagnosing it.  My doctors are non-commital, as always it seems. Thanks for any info you can give me.
                                                                                                          Agatha

Offline tblansit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
I am a competetive cyclyist, I had a medial plica excision on 3/31/06.  Resumed cycling on 6/1/06 and was almost back to normal.  THEN.....about mid August, I started having severe pain @ my pattelar tendon, behind my knee cap, and along my quad tendons.  It's almost like someone flipped a switch.  I saw a new OS last week who thinks it is scar tissue.  Scheduled for an MRI soon.  I hope it either shows severe scar tissue or no scar tissue.

How do you diagnois tendonitis?  If the MRI shows up clear, it sounds obvious that tendonitis is the cause????

Offline Talli05

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 03:40:52 AM »
tblansit
   Scar tissue is certainly a possiblity, after my surgery-to remove plica, I developed quite a bit of scar tissue in my left knee that my OS later went back in and removed. However I am not sure if scar tissue does show up on MRI's. If I'm remembering correctly I actually had one before my third operation(the one to remove that scar tissue) and it showed no signs of me having any excess scarring. I think in a lot of cases MRI's aren't really all they're cracked up to be, a lot of people get misdiagnosed by them and they fail to show a lot of problems.

As for tendonitis generally its just diagnosed purely based on your symptoms, in most cases an OS or PT will consider it the very first time you complain of pain below the knee as long as your not presenting signs of osgood shlatters(which is mostly in the case of adolescents, but its not unheard of in adults).

I would not be confident in saying that if the MRI doesn't yield you results that tendonitis is the problem, it might be but it might not.
            Laura
2 surgeries dedicated to plica removal. 1 to remove scar tissue in my left knee. And another “pie crusting” of my IT Band. As of 2012 I am still not recovered.