Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: lateral release  (Read 3190 times)

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
lateral release
« on: August 27, 2006, 09:37:24 PM »
hello,

i have had problem with my left knee ever since i fell on ice over a year ago. my knee hyperextends past where it should stops. i have had my plica out, i went to my OS and he thinks there is nothing wrong, so i got a second opinion and they think that my knee cap does not track right and gave me a lateral j brace to u and see how that works. i saw the docotr that i got the second opinion and he thinks that i might need a lateral release. i would like to know how long the recovery is and what to expect after surgery. please help. i am sick of the pain.
"ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" ~SPAMALOT

Offline kera4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: lateral release
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 05:50:37 AM »
Dear Margaret, I have had lateral releases on both knees, and it took me 6 months to fully recover. Although it is an outpatient surgery, the recovery does take time. Because your lateral retinaculum is cut, your muscles are re-aligned and they take a lot of PT to strengthen. Do you have tilted patellas? It is my understanding that lateral release is mostly for tilted patellas, not malalignment (subluxation). I know how frustrating patella issues are, they are complex with many factors involved. Take care, Kera

bi-lateral releases 1999, scar tissue removal 3/03 and 5/03

Offline Talli05

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 07:50:22 AM »
Margaret
    I'm sort of behind Kera here. A lateral release is primarily for those with tilted knee caps and if you infact have a malalignment problem the lateral release is only going to make things worse for you. There are countless situations listed on these boards of people in your situation where their doctor suggests a LR, then they go through with it and they end up in a situation ten times worse than they started. Before you decided on an LR I would talk to another OS about it, and possibly bring up the patellar tilt versus malalignment issue just to make sure you are doing the right thing for your situation. If an LR is right for you recovery time is about 6-8 weeks, granted the surgery is the correct operation, different surgeons will have different approaches as to your rehab and weight bearing.
                                      Laura
2 surgeries dedicated to plica removal. 1 to remove scar tissue in my left knee. And another “pie crusting” of my IT Band. As of 2012 I am still not recovered.

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 05:50:21 PM »
thanks kera and laura for your help i think i am going to get another opinion and see what happens i will keep you posted. i am just sick of having knee pain

morgan4219

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 02:37:50 AM »
I have had Lateral Releases performed on both knees. The first surgery went great and i am glad i had it but the second surgery not so good and i am having lots of problems with it....
Good Luck

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:46:35 AM »
morgan,
how long was your recovery? how long before you could drive again? if i have to have it done i am trying to schedule it around my winter break for college
thanks

morgan4219

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 03:37:25 AM »
My recovery is still going on im still not fully able to do everything with my left leg and it has been almost 1 year...and my right has only been 2.5 months so it is really not recovered...and i dont drive im only 14...but i heard it is not long such as a week....and yes i would do it when i had some time off...high school is rough on mine so i cant imagine how much college could hurt...

Offline nave246

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »
I had both knees done lateral release and clean up under kneecaps on Tuesday march 31.  By Friday I could walk looking "cool" with no pain.  Got full range of motion by Monday April 6,  and started Easy exercise biking today, Monday April 6.  5 minutes on level 1.  Will kick it up 5 minutes a day and 1 level till feels like it working a little.  Can go up and down stairs fairly easy.  Started driving the next day after operation.  Am extremely happy with both knees!  My doctor is Dr. Spencer Chang fron Straub Clinic, Honolulu Hawaii.  There has been a minimum of pain and went off pain meds on Sundy April 5.  If anyone wants to talk about this let me know. [email protected]
Also had a shoulder replacement ( they only changed the humerus not the socket.  Dr Ed Weldon Straub clinic.)  After 2 months got my full range of motion back after 39 yers, benched press 225 ten times and can do 5 sets of 12 pullups!