Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery Finally! Now I'm terrified  (Read 1036 times)

Offline trasan8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery Finally! Now I'm terrified
« on: August 27, 2006, 07:34:21 AM »
Finally after 6 months of appts. and tests my doctor has decided what to do with my knee. I was hoping for an easy fix, but no such luck. Just the name of the surgery written down scares me!
 I am having a "Left Knee Scope Lateral Retinacular Release, Distal Patellar Realigniment Osteochondral Defect Repair-with-Allograft OBI lplug Medial Meniscus Debridement vs Repair".
Has anyone had any of this done? How bad was it seems like a stupid question.  I know I'm looking at alot of pain, but I'm really worried about therepy and how long recovery from this is going to take. I thought I understood my doctor to say I won't even be able to bend my knee weeks. My short term disabilty through my work says 12 weeks off but I think their more optimistic than me. I work full time at a job where sitting isnt always a option.
I'm really stressing over this. I'm a active person and the thought of not being able to do for myself and being immobile for months is keeping me awake nights.
 My surgery is scheduled for September the 6th.  Any information anyone can give me would be great. :'(
9/06 chodronplasty, debridement, plica release Lft knee

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: Surgery Finally! Now I'm terrified
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »
Hi!

First of all relax! Not easy I know but stressing out won't help at all. Think rationally!

Secondly, I wanna give my 2cents worth...

I had an open lateral release, medial reefing, shaving and distal realignment (modified) 4 years ago. So not what you're all having done. HOWEVER I was back to work (fuul time nursing) 12 weeks after the surgery without too much problems. So yep they might be looking at the best possible positive side, but it IS possible, I DID IT!!

My recovery hasn't been easy and I sure had my ups and downs, but  decided to reset my brains and just GO FOR IT!
Reading on here might get you a bit down, but BELIEVE!

I am an active young woman (nurse, I play sports a lot! like running, badminton, walking, swimming, cycling, tennis when I have a partner ;), speleology) all without problems. I can kneel, jump, whatever! Of course I was a bit younger than you are (I was 25 when I had surgery) and you heel faster when you're younger, but I have seen many people have speedy recoveries after the most major surgeries (I worked on ortho, which I have now switched for the ER, MICA (Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance) and ambulance). I do a hell of a lot of movements i never thought I would ever be able to do! But I do them!

So hang in there, get your positive attitude and go for it. Time will tell how fast you'll recover but don't only look on the down side...

Good luck!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline trasan8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 10:29:26 PM »
Thanks for the pep talk, hearing that you  made it through and went back to work helps alot!
I know that as a nurse your on your feet constantly.  I work 2nd shift in a factory and I'm on my feet most of the night. It's really been bothering me that I may have to bid off my job and try to get one where I sit, because I have to be 100% able to do it or they won't let me back come off sick leave to it.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 10:47:55 PM »
Hi there......

I'm older than both of you and I've pulled through an open LR, fulkerson TTT and allograft w/OBI TruFit BGS plug. 
I was NWBing for 6 weeks but after that things get much easier.  My other leg has problems also so this slowed me down somewhat, but I've managed to strengthen my leg anyway....

My physio did not start until week six and I did home therapy with a recumbent bike and walking on a soft surface. 

You mentioned post-op pain - there are things called blood rushes which you get when you stand up, but aside from them the pain was not bad for me at all.  Ice, elevate and take your meds and you'll do great.

Good luck to you and keep remembering the end game.  ~shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline trasan8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 03:20:42 AM »
Thanks Shade!  3 Days to go, I know I'll be better off when its all over with.  I just have to stay optimistic and not try to rush things.