Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TruFit OBI recovery...please help  (Read 36473 times)

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: TruFit OBI recovery...please help
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:41 PM »
Steve-- Thanks.  Does he think you will be able to run again ?  How long does he think the plugs will hold if they work?
Has he done this procedure on other patients (patella?) with success?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:51:29 PM by EMANN »

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »
EMANN,

I had the OBI plugs on both the weight bearing portions of the lateral and medial femoral chondyles and had no luck!! Within the first few months the plugs flaked out like fish scales. My lesions were quite big two 1.7x1.7cm and one 1.8x1.7cm. I had been told by the rep from the OBI company that they were trying to figure out why the plugs didnt work in larger weight bearing areas (no reply yet) of the knee. There were three of us in my OS office that it failed in the weight bearing portions of the knee but those with them behind the patella had done great!!! The rep said that across the country they were having trouble with the weight bearing portions and were working on the problem. Once they get it fixed I am planning on giving them a try again to avoid a total knee as long as possible.

I was NWB for 6 week and another 2 PWB. I didnt have much pain after the initial placement of the plugs only after they started to flake out. I didnt even need pain meds after the surgery.

Best of luck to you

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »
I thought behind the patella would be considered a weight bearing portion of the knee?

You had that done 2 years ago correct? trial period?  Any idea how those people are doing now?  Let me know if you find out.

Thanks-E
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:25:38 PM by EMANN »

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 06:24:18 AM »
Given that my defect is relatively small, my OS has confidence that I will be able to run again...approx 6 months post-op.  The plugs are supposed to gradually be absorbed by the body over 6 - 9 months and replaced by bone.  My OS is in Los Angeles and he has done a number of these procedures. 

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
I was told that behind the patella was not a weight bearing portion of the knee. But who really knows it does slide along and in the trochlear groove.

As far as the test group there were thousands of us and what my OS told me about the statistics was not promising for my situation. (Large defects in large portions of weight bearing areas) Smaller areas do well and so far patella defects from the statistics do well also so hopefully they can help you.

My OS is trying to get the printed statistics for me. He was the one of the creators of the instruments used for the OBI technique.

Paulette

4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2006, 07:03:01 PM »
Spoke with my Doc today about my 3mm defect behind the patella.  He said he may do mosiacplasty or use the OBI plugs depending on the efect once he gets in there.  He is a very good surgeon and has used the plugs before, but never on the patella!!! He would also be doing a Fulkerson osteotomy & a LR at the same time.  He told me the 5-10-20 year outlook for patella defects is not good. It will grow & get bigger & will not heal itself.  I found it interesting that he said biking, running, etc will cause the defect to grow, whereas the other surgeon (also good) I saw told me to resume sports, etc...

It seems most people that got these defects got them from hitting their knee in an accident of some sort....I was doing a SLR with weight rehabbing from a simple chondroplasty when mine happened and it saddens me I am in this situatiosn b/c of that.

DOC also said there are no long term studies so they dont know how long the plugs will last.  Have any of you read any studies ,etc...?

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 06:08:07 PM »
10 weeks post-op report....  Completed the last Euflexxa injection on Monday of this past week.  Things have come together quite nicely over the past couple of weeks.  The knee feels stronger each day and yesterday I returned to riding outside for the first time.  Granted, the ride was 60 min on the streets with some slight elevation.  Nevertheless, there was no pain, no clicking or grinding and no soreness this morning.  I'll venture out again today, and will gradually increase the time and incline on the street riding for another 3 weeks before attempting to get offroad again.  It is quite important to understand that riding on an uneven surface (mountain biking or even trail riding) places much more stress on the surgical area since the pedal movement is not consistent and smooth.  Every time that you go over a rock or hit a bump, the physics of the pedal rotation change markedly.  Hence...be dead-sure that you are feeling extremely strong before switching from road riding to offroad riding.  Do not push the transition too fast. 

I am scheduled for a MRI on Nov. 10th to get a good look at how the area is healing.  OS said that we may do one more series of Euflexxa injections in a couple of months. 

Hope that all are well...or at least on the road to recovery.

Steve

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »
Steve-- Did your OS tell you why he was doing the injections after he used the OBI plugs? 

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 04:44:28 AM »
Euflexxa is being used as a chrondal stimulant...to assist in the regrowing of cartilage cells.

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 11:47:51 AM »
I thought Euflexxa was a hyaluronic acid (HA) or sodium hyaluronate supplement. To replace the natural fluid that has been lost in the joint.  I hadnt heard that it was a chrondral stimulant.
Could you tell us where you heard that. If it is I will ask my OS for it as I need all the help I can get  LOL  ;D

Best of luck on your continued recovery

Paulette

4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2006, 11:54:14 AM »
Euflexxa is made from a non avian source.  It is like synivisc in strength but not taken from Rooster comb

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 01:39:02 AM »
Given that I cannot figure out how to respond to personal notes (yes....I looked and looked)...I'll have to reply here.  A few people have written to me to ask who my OS is.  His name is Bert Mandelbaum and his practice is in Santa Monica, California.  I highly recommend him and have the highest regard for his skill and integrity.  Around Los Angeles, he is regarded to be the "Yoda of Knees."  Hope that helps. 

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 07:31:44 PM »
Steve-- Glad to hear things are progressing nicely!! I bet it felt good to get out & ride pain free!

Good luck on your Nov 10 appt. Please post afterwards to let us know how the results of the MRI turned out.

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »
Steve--- How are things going?   Did you get your MRI results back yet? 

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 09:25:49 PM »
I have the MRI on Monday.  Things are going just OK at this point.  I am able to walk without pain in a straight line, but if a twist the knee or put weight on the joint from an angle (like trying to get out of the back of a cab), then it is extremely painful.  Feels like I hit a raw nerve.  I stopped rehab riding for 2 weeks to let everything quiet down in the joint.  It is feeling better and I plan to start back on the rehab bike today....slowly.  I have learned that pushing it is a terrible idea.  I'll circle back and give an update with the MRI results after Monday.

Strong knees and full hearts....

support