Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TruFit OBI recovery...please help  (Read 36476 times)

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: TruFit OBI recovery...please help
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 12:39:27 AM »
http://www.obi.com/

Basically its a synthetic cartilage plug...above link will answer your questions.
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 06:12:31 AM »
Another update....nearing 5 weeks post-op.  Something strange happened after last Friday night (that was the rough night that I last wrote about).  I have been taking Advil 3x a day and have been icing the knee 4x everyday.  I rested on Saturday and began back on the rehab cycling on Sunday.  Almost overnight, things felt dramatically stronger and more stable.  It is almost like things clicked into place.  I have been cycling daily for the last 4 days and have been gradually increasing the resistance and the riding duration.  Tonight I rode for 60 min on a middle level on the lifecycle.  I have another 10 days on crutches, but I now believe that it is reasonably likely that I'll be walking crutch-free soon.  I start the Euflexxa injections on Oct. 2nd. 

Best to all....

Steve

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 01:55:50 PM »
Thats great news...you'll have no problem ditching the crutches...sounds like your quad is firing fully now...just takes some time for everything to work in harmony again--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline speer03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 04:44:34 AM »
Hi Steve, and others,

I caught your post and thought I would offer some info if you would like.  I am very familiar with OBI plugs and how they differ from microfracture surgery.  Doctors are using this as it is a huge upgrade from your standard microfracture surgery.  Let me explain:

They basically differ in that microfracture is done by poking holes in the affected area, allowing for bloodflow in the hope of a repair.  This produces fibro cartilage in cases where successful.  Normal articular cartilage however is Hylane cartilage.  OBI differs in that it is a synthetic plug which acts as both a scaffold and a sponge.  A sponge to absorb all the blood, cells, marrow, etc which will effectively "feed" the new cartilage which grows across the stable platform of the scaffold.

I can go on, but just thought you might be interested.  If it were me I would definitely have this procedure as it can repair large or small defects and provides and excellent opportunity to avoid the "total knee" for a while.

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 11:54:09 PM »
Thanks Speer,

Of course, I have irritated the area recently by pushing a bit too hard on the exercise bike.  I have taken a couple of days off, hitting the Advil 4x a day and icing 4x a day.  I am going to give it one more day before starting up again...this time at a lower resistance and gradually building up again. 

Any thoughts on how long the plug site should take to become structurally sound and not tender?

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »
Speer,

Hi there, well said.  Yes, it's really awesome when everything goes according to plan.  I've been one of the lucky ones myself and haven't had the pain or irritation with my procedure, but I also had the TTT to unload the patella at the same time so maybe that made a difference. 
It's a long rehab but well worth taking the time to heal.

Steve,

Take your time and heal from the irritation.  Know it's frustrating with these long rehabs are involved, but it'll pay off for you in the end.  Hope you start feeling better soon. 

DJK,

Hope you're still progressing nicely, don't overdo. 

Catch ya later.  See that OBI has upgraded their site and it's much more informative now.  ~shade

http://www.obi.com/products_TruFit.htm
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 11:29:32 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Athlete Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 02:55:18 AM »
Speer -- thanks for explaining the OBI plug so clearly.  Does your OS give you any indication on how long the cartilage will last using the OBI TruFit plugs?  I noticed you say "a while" before a "total knee".  Is that really what's next??  My son is only 13 and seems to be healing well -- he had a minor set back last week when someone pushed him at school, he experienced a stabbing pain when he stood up -- but nothing since that day.  My doc said nothing to worry about.  He did an x-ray, and the surgical site looked good -- nothing floating around, but he said he really couldn't tell unless he went back in, so because of his age, the doc will be scoping him again in December (in and out -- no work done) before he'll release him to athletics -- just to see that the plug did its job.  I've been having a horrible time trying to find any study results from the plug (results at 1 year, 2 years, etc.).  Any input?  Thanks a bunch.

Offline choclab

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 01:02:57 AM »
I've not had my OBI plug yet...probably sometime in Oct...doing PT and building up muscle tone currently...but my OS said recovery would be at least 3 weeks NWB and then 25% weight bearing added per week for 4 weeks...that's going to be hard to be patient as I am the only nurse in a Dr. office and since my job is walking around all day that means off work for some time...I AM GOING TO NEED YOU ALL'S SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT while I am going thru cabin fever...won't be able to
drive as it is my right leg...
ruptured tendon calf in Brazil in '03
medial and posterior menisectomy 10/06
lateral release patella 10/06

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 05:53:38 PM »
Euflexxa injections and Blue Cross/Wellpoint Pharmacy....

On Monday, I am starting the Euflexxa injection program (3 injections into the knee, once a week).  Given that it is a new drug, I had to go to the pharmacy directly to get the prescription filled.  My pharmacist looked up the drug under my PPO coverage at Blue Cross an told me that it was not covered and that I would have to pay the $526 myself.  It took 4 calls back and forth between Wellpoint Pharmacy (works with Blue Cross) and Blue Cross to get it covered.  If this happens to you, make sure to ask for the Wellpoint Elite team (yeah, these geniuses are really called that) and strongly insist on coverage.  In the end, I had to pay a $110 co-pay, but it was mostly covered.

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 04:00:58 PM »
Any updates on those of you with plugs?

Did you have to use a CPM machine or no with these plugfs?  Hopefully not!

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »
Update 8 weeks post-op....

I received the first Euflexxa injection 2 weeks ago.  It probably gave me a false sense of the state of progress of the recovery.  I took too big of a step between coming off crutches and the amount of load that I was putting on the knee.  It became quite sore and I scaled back the amount of time on the exercise bike and the amount/speed of walking.  It seems to be a bit better now.  My OS was out of town for a week, so I have my next Euflexxa injection tomorrow.  If I turn or twist the wrong way, I get a sharp pain in the knee....trying not to do that.  OS said that it will be 6 months until the bone replaces the plug and then I should be able to run.  Frankly...if I could just ride my mt bike again without pain, I would be a happy guy. 

I am back to daily PT sessions on the exercise bike.  Everyone (OS, patients, PT) says that this is the single best thing that I can do to promote a good recovery.  Doing 60 min daily on the bike.  I good solid icing session for 20 - 30 min post ride is key for me.  I really like the Bodyglove velcro wraps so that the ice pack is held in place with appropriate pressure.  Sorry...don't know what a CPM machine is. 

I'll check back in a bit.....  Steve

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 04:41:19 PM »
Steve-- If you dont know then you must not have had to use it and that is a great thing!!! 

Where was your defect located?  How big was it?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:59:41 AM by EMANN »

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 01:39:26 PM »
EMANN - if you read the first few posts, you'll see a description of the defect and all of the gory details.  Though it is not big, it was located in a very heavy WT point on the femur.  Tricky little sucker. 

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »
Steve-- A couple of more questions if you dont mind me asking.....

-- Before you had the microfracture, you said your defect was 2mm....What caused it? and What symptoms were you having prior to microfracture?

--- How much pain were you in the day of and the following couple days after the surgery?

--- It has been 8 weeks since the surgery I see.....Are you able to walk on it normally with no pain or are you still using the crutches for PWB?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 03:21:56 PM by EMANN »

Offline steve439

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 06:06:18 PM »
EMann -

Originally got the defect from crashing my mt bike and hit the knee.  The impact caused a full thickness (Grade 4) tear of the articular cartilage.  If I would twist the wrong way or step down on the wrong angle, there would be a sharp pain.

Pain post surgery was not that big of a deal.  Hit the meds for the first 36 hours, but after that I was on over the counter stuff.

- I am off crutches now, but there is still some pain.  I have only been off crutches for 2 weeks, so this is quite normal.  It should gradually feel better every week for the next 4 - 6 weeks (so my OS said last night). 

Hope that helps....

Steve

support