Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Arthroscopy operation August 31st  (Read 3130 times)

Offline prince22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Arthroscopy operation August 31st
« on: August 26, 2006, 07:53:31 PM »
This is the first operation im going to have and even though ive been told its not a major operation im feeling really nervous.
My consultant said that the MRI scan showed i have damaged cartilage and it needs to be seen to. Also something about my meniscus? Could someone please give me advice on the operation, or anyone who has had it done give me sum advice>> thanks

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
Re: Knee Arthroscopy operation August 31st
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 08:40:11 PM »
HIYA,

I had an arthoscopy done on the 31st july for a tear in my meniscus which is cartlidge, I was sooooo nervous it was a really big op i thought, but the op didnt take long it was about and hour.
Im still on crutches, but everyone heals differently and most people walk out of the hospital if they are having the tear cut out, if its a repair the timing is different, if you read some of my previous posts you will see how scared i was, but you will be fine x
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT
INNJECTIONS INTO THE JOINT

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 03:33:53 AM »
Hi Prince,
I've had scopes on both knees for meniscus tears, and while your doctor is right about it being a minor surgery, it will take a couple of months before you're completely back to normal. Here's what usually happens:
The procedure takes about 45 min. under general anaesthesia, and you wake up with your knee in an ace bandage. It should feel pretty comfortable. They monitor you for another half hour or so, give you something light to eat, ask about pain level, etc., then they get you up, ask you to take a short walk around to see how it feels, and send you home with your post-op instructions and pain med prescription.
Usually what they do with meniscus tears is debride them, and they may also smooth out any roughed-up articular cartilage (that's the cartilage covering the ends of your leg bones). You shouldn't be in extreme pain, but it will hurt once the anesthesia completely wears off and you shouldn't hesitate to use the pain med. You probably won't need it for more than a couple of days.
They like you to get up and walk around on it, but for the first few days, you'll need to take it very slow and easy. You won't be doing the rumba any time soon. I'm three and a half weeks post-op from my latest scope and I'm just now beginning to be able to walk at my normal pace.
It takes about five weeks to really feel normal.
You'll probably need to do some PT for a month or two also. You lose about 30% of your muscle strength with this type of procedure and you'll need to build that back up to support your knee.
That's no big deal either. Your therapists aren't going to do anything to make your knee hurt, because that could cause more damage. They'll start with some simple exercises to get the circulation going and maintain your flexibility,then gradually progress to strengthening exercises. Usually you come out of a session feeling better.
That's pretty much it. It's not easy, but it's not horrible either and your knee will feel so much better after. Good luck and keep us posted.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Mike780

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee Arthroscope operation August 31st
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »
Hi Prince

I think everyone is different I had one done on the 27th July , had lateral cartilage removed meniscus tear, and various cartilage smoothed down ( he did find severe OA, but diagnosed that by xray before op)

It was day surgery but as afternoon session stayed over, my surgery was at 2pm by  7pm ( could have got up earlier but knackered as no sleep night before due to worry) I was out of bed leg a bit stiff but no pain whatsoever and walking around room, knee was lightly bandaged and two small wound entry points. I had worse dental treatments.

Knee felt much better and  the next day was walking fine no crutches or sticks offered or used, I did take the course of anti inflammatory , but no pain med, as didn't have any. I still have a slight lump around lateral entry point which is going down where he did most of the debridement and the scars, well  showed my knee to people and they can't see where the op happened as now covered with hair again.

I had an exercise sheet which was straight forward and told to strengthen my quads . Had my stitches out a week later and discharged.

Make sure you get a copy of the report which tells you what exactly he has done and found as he may tell you stuff which sounds horrible, when you get it translated on here not that bad.

Good luck and enjoy , it made my knee feel much better, no more pain up stairs or aching and have got  back to the gym. The only thing I have been told to avoid until I shed some weight is running and told badminton not a good idea.

The only other advice I would give if like me you were overweight use this as an excuse to shed it , I have lost 1st 4lbs since op ( 2 more to lose until my BMI weight) and the loss also has made me feel fitter and more stable on my knees.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 04:31:57 PM by Mike780 »
Arthroscope L/K 27/07/06 Meniscus tear trimmed, diagnosed with OA Grade IV Lateral compartment and trochlea groove.

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:38:07 PM »
Hi - I had two of these last year - one each side.  Both times were the same for me, a bit more of a problem then a couple of folks on these replies.  I went home the same day with a big bandage and an ice pack machine thingy that kept ice water circulating in a pack over the knee - I kept that on for 2 or 3 days, day and night, and it helped a lot.  I was using crutches for about 7 days, then went to one crutch, then only when I was shopping for groceries or something.  There are two things that no one told me that were helpful post-op:  One is that there is a bunch of anesthetic used in your knee when you have this done - so that the next day, you think this will be a cinch!  Then it wears off that evening (depending on timing and personal response I suppose) and it hurts like a sumbitch. The second surgery I knew this so was able to stay ahead of it.  Get pain med rx and don't be afraid to use it.  Also, I took pain meds at night for about 2 weeks because I would be very wakeful with lowgrade pain, then exhausted if I didn't address that.
Second thing to know is that your surgeon will use a lot of saline in your joint to clear it out and help him/her see what they're doing.  That's actually what causes a lot of the swelling, post op - your body will absorb the fluid eventually, but it really takes quite awhile.  I think it probably was about 6-7 weeks before it was really all gone for me. 
Use ice.  I travelled around with an ice chest in my car for weeks, had packs in the fridge at home and at work, and even had a friend that I visit frequently fix me ziplocks with ice so I could slap it on when I got to her house.  It really helps with the post op rehab and pain.  I probably used ice regularly for a few months after each surgery.
Make sure you get PT.  Insist on it and don't "tough it out"  without it.  Your PT will really help you regain range of motion, strength, plus they will be almost the only one really interested and willing to listen and talk to you about your worries - except for us on this site, of course...Plus it will give you some perspective because you'll see other folks come in for their first postop visit and you'll realize you really have made progress.
You'll be fine.
--Denise
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 12:20:43 AM »
This is the first operation im going to have and even though ive been told its not a major operation im feeling really nervous.
My consultant said that the MRI scan showed i have damaged cartilage and it needs to be seen to. Also something about my meniscus? Could someone please give me advice on the operation, or anyone who has had it done give me sum advice>> thanks

Fist of all meniscus is cartilage. That is just a fancy medical term for it. This surgery is a cinch compared to TKR. I've had that surgery three times and it worked until the last one when they found more then they bargained for. While going in to repair the torn meniscus, it was discovered that my knee was filled with arthritis. I ended uo with two more operations that year. I had an arthroscopy, Partial knee replacement and Total knee Replacement on the same knee within a year.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 01:15:31 AM »
But not all cartilage is meniscus. There is also cartilage covering the ends of the femur and tibia and the back of the patella. So if someone's doctor mentions cartilage and meniscus, the doctor may be talking about 2 different things. The only way to know is to ask the doctor.

Jaci
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 01:45:59 AM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 01:21:33 PM »
A lot of doctors call the meniscus "cartilage" as a general term because they think that most people don't know the difference, it can be confusing when you know what meniscus is and what cartilage is and the doc calls them both the same thing, my understanding and as Jaci has already said, the covering at the ends of the bones is called articular cartilage and the half moon, wedged shaped things in between each side of the knee is called meniscus (hope that makes sense)  ;)

Try not to worry too much about your upcoming surgery, it shouldn't be that bad, I've had quite a few of the procedures you're going to have and have walked out the hospital unaided by any crutches or sticks the same day as the procedure - hopefully you'll be as lucky.  Good luck.  ;D

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline prince22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
Had my surgery yesterday afternoon, thats 31st August 2006 at 4pm, just in case you want to know. lol
I was told before the op that my acl had a tear and that a different procedure was required for that. my surgeon also said that when im alseep he will be able to tell if i need ACL surgery at a later date. From what ive been told by the nurse i had a lateral release??? i really know what that involved, i was too sleepy to be told anything, im due in next week at the clinic to discuss the operartion.

someone help me out??? need advice

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 03:58:45 AM »
Lateral release is a procedure where they partially cut a band of tissue on the outside of your thigh, called the lateral retinaculum. It's purpose is to support the patella (kneecap), but if it is too tight, or stronger than the supportive tissue on the other side, it can pull your patella off-track and cause pain, inflammation and damage to the cartilage underneath. Cutting it releases the tension, so that the patella can track properly in its groove.
Hope this helps. Sorry I don't know anything about ACL surgery.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 07:46:55 AM »
hiya prince 22 how you doing x
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT
INNJECTIONS INTO THE JOINT

Offline webber

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 12:33:37 AM »
Hello-
Anyone had articular cartilage pieces floating in the joint space? I had a 1 cm piece on the lateral side and about a 2-3 cm piece on the medial side. The medial side piece caused me a lot of pain preop. Anyone also had microfractures? What has your success rate been with/without microfractures, and how much is your knee compromised due to loss of articular cartilage?
Webber

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 12:48:40 AM »
Hello-
Anyone had articular cartilage pieces floating in the joint space? I had a 1 cm piece on the lateral side and about a 2-3 cm piece on the medial side. The medial side piece caused me a lot of pain preop. Anyone also had microfractures? What has your success rate been with/without microfractures, and how much is your knee compromised due to loss of articular cartilage?
Webber

Webber,

You'll probably get more responses if you create a new topic. You can copy/paste your post and just put it in a new topic -- that way more people will see it and you can get some answers. You might also want to post it in a couple of the boards in The Arthritis Department, which is a short scroll down from this General board.

Good luck!

Meg

Offline webber

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 12:53:43 AM »
thank you! I am desperate for info. I will probably have to try tomorrow though. Thank you!!!!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 12:57:55 AM »
Webber, I have had 2 microfractures. My first one failed but the second one did fine. It is a little over 2 yrs old now. I did have to have further surgery on that knee but it was not for damage in the microfracture spot. Feel free to send me a private message with any questions that you might have. There is also a section called "bone marrow stimulation" in the arthritis section that is totally about microfracture. check it out.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis