Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: quad tendon recovery time?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline dden10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
quad tendon recovery time?
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:01 AM »
I RECENTLY HAD A OPERATION OF 6/05/06 QUAD TENDON RUPTURE.  IT IS AUGUST 23, AND I CANT TELL WHEN ITS GONNA HEAL. I M A COP AND IT HAPPENED AT WORK, HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE ME TO GO FULL TO FULL DUTY 4-5 MONTHS? DOES ANYONE KNOW RECOVERY TIMES?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: quad tendon recovery time?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:05:03 PM »
What does your doctor say? When I tore my quad tendon, I was told it would be 12-18 months before I forgot I had an injury. I had a lot of complications and my recovery did not go normally, so I can't really tell you how long it should be before you can go back to work. I know I didn't get back to my desk job full time for about nine months.

This is a major injury and it takes a long time to recover. What stage are you at now? Are you walking normally? How is your ROM? How is it going with PT? Are you still in a brace?

Here is a link to a thread in another section about quad tendon rupture. http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28128.0
You will see that Simon was doing well, then fell and retore the tendon and had to start over.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline dden10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:32:28 PM »
I M CURRENTLY STILL GOING TO PT.MY ROM IS JUST OVER 100.I GO BACK TO THE DOC SEPT.5,06. I'M STILL WALKING WITH A SMALL LIMP.MY KNEE IS STILL SLIGHTLY SWOLLEN ALSO. MY QUAD MUSCLE IS STILL VERY WEAK. WHEN WALKING I CAN FEEL IT BUCKLE OCCASIONALLY. I WENT AND BOUGHT AN ATHLECTIC BRACE.(SOFT)I GUESS I M JUST TIRED OF SITTING AT HOME BUT IT HELPS TO KNOW, HOW  I AM COMING ALONG.
    THE DOC JUST TELLS ME IT WILL BE A WHILE NO SPECIFIC TIME FRAME WHICH I UNDERSTAND BUT WANTED TO KNOW FROM SOMEONE SOME SOLID NUMBERS.
   THANKS APPRECIATE U TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:50:06 AM »
It is normal for your knee to still be slightly swollen at this point. I would guess that your flexion will continue to improve as the swelling goes down and you keep working on the bend. Can you get to full extension? That's important for walking. You can't walk without a limp without full extension. It sounds like you are moving along in your rehab. As your quad strengthens, your knee will stop buckling.

I know it's really hard to be patient, especially when you're used to being active. You just have to look at it as putting in time now letting your body heal so you won't have to think about your knee at all a year from now. Try to get out as you are able, even if it means just having someone drive you around to get you out of the house. Keep your chin up, it will get better.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.