Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 3 Acl surgeries and still have problems with calf pain  (Read 762 times)

Offline Ginger957

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 Acl surgeries and still have problems with calf pain
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »
I had my 3rd acl surgery this last October.  It was a hard one and I had a slow start because of the pain.  I have developed bad arthritis from the last two surgeries because instability left for 5 years.  I am now 10 months post op and able to get around fairly well.  I have worse pain after this surgery and seem to have picked up a new problem of calf pain.  I don't understand where it is coming from.  I am having cramps in the calf and spams at night which is relieved by muscle relaxers.  This only started since the last surgery.  I also had a bad pop on the lateral side of my knee for a week and the popping stoped after that but left the lateral side of my knee painful and sore.  I went the the OS and he said I had problems with my petella because of arthritis or I had torn my cartledge.  He could not tell me why the calf pain since surgery except to say it was coming from my back.  I do have dengenertive disk disease but am on medication for the leg problems.  This problem with calf pain only started after the third ACL surgery and this calf pain is different.
If anyone can give me some tip on what this may be it will be appreciated.

Offline Arnoldplum

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Easy does it.. but do it!
Re: 3 Acl surgeries and still have problems with calf pain
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:53:22 AM »
            Hello,
                    Very sorry to hear of your suffering. Only thing i can say about arthritis is have you thought about dietry adustments? Ive heard this can make a big difference! Dare say you probably do anyway..
      As for the calf pain, well with the recent surgery in mind you deffinately want to be keeping leg as still as possible, yet when your sitting upright try and work on posture, if thats in any way possiblle. If you try streaching the body gently from the haunches, with your legs out in front of you, as if your torso and shoulders wanted to float away < sorry je je > this would be a very gentle way to do a pasive fizio on the ligaments and hopefully help balance the muscles.. and encourage lowerback strengh... and if its too tiering , lie down , and then try again