Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 years later... TTT succes!  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
4 years later... TTT succes!
« on: August 22, 2006, 10:59:39 AM »
This is a post for those of you who recently had or will be having a TTT!!

I want to tell you TTT's can be very succesfull and that it is possible to be active after the tripple T.
I was in constant pain, subluxing 24/7 and dislocating very much previous to my TTT, and felt I couldn't do my job anymore as I wanted, couldn't be active anymore, couldn't even walk without serious pain.
After a failed LR my OS did a TTT, I had a very fast rehab although I still struggeld for a year with pain. However now my knee is better than ever, I am active and I can do everything (except kickboxing it makes my kneecaps go where I don't like it!).
Of course my knee isn't cured, my tracking still isn't what it is supposed to be and the cartilage damage of course is irreversible, but I can live!!!! And I feel my age again!!

Soo...yesterday I was 4 years post TTT, have thought about it a few times.
That day, aug 21 2002, changed my life, me!

So all TTTers, stay positive and keep the faith!!

I am a nurse working on ER, ambulance services and on MICA (Mobile Intensive Car Ambulance). I am doing a special ALS (resus, Advenced Life Support) course in sept (which involves a lot of kneeling!!) and am starting my special ER nursing degree in spetember too!

So I am a busy girl with bad knees who feel good now!
There is indeed life after a TTT and a TTT can be a SUCCES!!! in it's own way!

Stay positive!

Helena x
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Sadie_Rose

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Blue Lightning, my band :)
Re: 4 years later... TTT succes!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:07:17 PM »
what is a ttt? Congrats. on your success.
1995 Knee pain begins, misaligned knees
2003 L synovectomy
2004 R Modified Fulkerson Osteotomy and lateral release
2004 L Modified Fulkerson Osteotomy and lateral release
2005 R ACI (Carticel) plus more releases. Unsuccessful 1 year post. Pain!
2005 R scar tissue removal
2006 Considering 2 TKRs

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:51:42 PM »
TTT = tibial tubical transfer. You've already had it: there are variations of this procedure, including the Fulkerson.

I've had two TTTs; the first was in 1995. Haven't had any more dislocations, maltracking - nothing. Both knees track correctly now. I've been hiking, backpacking - everything I wanted to do and more. Of course, I have cartilege damage, but it's a result of the maltracking, not the TTTs. My OS didn't give me any post TTT restrictions - told me that I could live a normal, active life. He didn't encourage running, but running is hard on anyone's knees. Of course, now the cartiledge damage is catching up to me (sigh!), but I would have had more damage if the TTTs hadn't worked so well.
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline Dianae

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:52:21 PM »
Hi Helena,

It's so nice to hear that you've done well after having two TTTs.  I'm 45 and have been told by one OS that I need to have this procedure done to both of my knees.  I"m going to see another OS tomorrow to get a second opinion. 

At first I dismissed the idea of having such an invasive surgery because I'm not in constant pain.  My knees hurt going up and down stairs, lifting weights, or sitting too long, but that's only part of the time.  I can live with the current level of discomfort in my knees but now I'm wondering if I should have the surgery not only in the hopes of having less discomfort, but in preserving the integrity of my knees as I get older.

Surgery is never fun, almost always a little scary, and the recovery for this one sounds pretty intense.

Was pain your primary motivating factor in getting the surgery done?  If you weren't in a lot of pain do you think you still would have gone ahead with the surgery?

Thanks a lot for sharing your positive experiences!

Diana
LK TTT: 10/06

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 04:58:56 PM »
Exactly 5 years today, worked so hard with ambulance that I even forgot my jubileum day  ;D

Well, I just remembered, 5 years ago I was smiling in hospital with a plastered leg, facing a hard recovery, now only my 2 screws and the scar remember me of my TTT.

Go guys! Off for 3 hrs of badminton now!! Yay!!!!!

Helena x
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Dragoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
This is a post for those of you who recently had or will be having a TTT!!

I want to tell you TTT's can be very succesfull and that it is possible to be active after the tripple T.
I was in constant pain, subluxing 24/7 and dislocating very much previous to my TTT, and felt I couldn't do my job anymore as I wanted, couldn't be active anymore, couldn't even walk without serious pain.
After a failed LR my OS did a TTT, I had a very fast rehab although I still struggeld for a year with pain. However now my knee is better than ever, I am active and I can do everything (except kickboxing it makes my kneecaps go where I don't like it!).
Of course my knee isn't cured, my tracking still isn't what it is supposed to be and the cartilage damage of course is irreversible, but I can live!!!! And I feel my age again!!

Soo...yesterday I was 4 years post TTT, have thought about it a few times.
That day, aug 21 2002, changed my life, me!

So all TTTers, stay positive and keep the faith!!

I am a nurse working on ER, ambulance services and on MICA (Mobile Intensive Car Ambulance). I am doing a special ALS (resus, Advenced Life Support) course in sept (which involves a lot of kneeling!!) and am starting my special ER nursing degree in spetember too!

So I am a busy girl with bad knees who feel good now!
There is indeed life after a TTT and a TTT can be a SUCCES!!! in it's own way!

Stay positive!

Helena x
sailing   say -  ling    a way to spend  lots of money and go very slow