Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Partial ACL Tear  (Read 957 times)

Offline bdjonze

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial ACL Tear
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:22:37 AM »
I recently tore ( partially ) my ACL playing soccer, needless to say I start PT soon. I can straighten my leg out and put pressure on it, but I can barely bend it, not even 90 derees. Is anyone familiar with this and how long till it gets better.

Brad

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
Re: Partial ACL Tear
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:42:43 PM »
hi bdjonze,

[Just a note:  better chance of getting lots of feedback by moving your post to the Cruciate Ligaments board.]

Re flexing knee and timetable:  all depends on how much swelling you have in the joint and if it's the swelling that is inhibiting your flexion.  We all have different physiological reactions to injury, eg I had no swelling in either ruptured acl knee and one was completely severed and, therefore, never lost full extension or full flexion.  You say you'll start PT soon.  Try putting in a call to them just to ask what you can be doing now to increase flexion while waiting for formal PT.  It's important that you work on "unfreezing" your knee as early as possible whether you're opting in or out of surgical reconstruction. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline bdjonze

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:13:21 AM »
thanks for the insight

Offline kneefizzio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I am willing to help answer peoples questions
    • Knee Injury
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:10:54 AM »
Has it been confirmed it is just ACL tear - NO meniscal injury? That might affect the range more than the ACL tear.
Graham
Physio Graham

Offline agatha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 04:18:47 PM »
Hi,
          Just wanted you to know my experience with ACL.  Was diagnosed by physical measurements and MRI with complete tear of ACL after ski accident in 1997.  No surgery since amount of play in my knee was minimal.  Returned to very active life -running, rollerblading, biking, hiking everything without any pain or problem after 3 months.  No pain or problems until  2003 when I began to have medial pain while running.  I had arthroscopic surgery  and found out that ACL was only partially torn.
          Bottom line - partial tear doesn't necessarily mean pain, disability or require surgery.  Then again, it may have contributed in some way to the knee problem I have right now which doctors cannot figure out and which has left me quite immobile. I just want you to know that ACL surgery depends on types  of activity you pursue.  If you're a soccer player, it probably matters a lot.
                                                                             Agatha