Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone in marching band?  (Read 30090 times)

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anyone in marching band?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »
Oh Yeah!!! Im a big DCI fan!!! Love phantom regiment and the blue devils.
I was part of Columbia Centrals band in Columbia tennesse (about 60 miles south of nashville). We had about 230 people.
Congrats on making it to all-state...thats a big deal!!!

Ohhh we saw Columbia this year at Austin Peay this year (the only one we lost... we were 2nd to Johnny O in prelims but our finals sucked so Columbia got ahead of us and we got 3rd)-- I LOVE their new uniforms.

Hmm are you bychance a poster on the TN Performing Arts forum...??? You sound familiar...
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 02:00:58 AM »
Yeah i LOVE teir uniforms too...wish i could have gotten a chance to wear them!! The ones they had last year SUCKED!!!!
Yes i am a poster on that forum...im Indymarcher!!!
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 12:37:54 AM »
Has anyone started marching season yet?

We're starting to learn nwe drill for our warm-up block and getting new music for our warm-up arch. Ugh this (in addition to marching) means getting out the mellophones. I am such a French horn child. The things I do for marching band... But I'm determined to march senior year.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:20 AM »
Dang...yall are already learning new drill?!?!? We just confirmed our numbers and signed our commitment forms (we call it selling our souls to the band  ::) ). Weve had our music picked out since before spring break. Were playing the music from Ice Age 2. But we wont learn our theme till the first day of band camp (even though our band directors alreadl have the theme). They are getting the music officially this week and are just now starting to write out our drill...
Yall are WAY ahead of the game!!!!
CANT WAIT FOR BAND SEASON TO START UP AGAIN!!!!
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 02:36:45 AM »
I am in marching band too. I play the flute. I am leaving for Canada in 9 days for the Victoria Day Parade, but I have to make it on crutches, which should be pretty funny!! I love marching, even though the uniforms are heavy and hot.

jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
  • Nobody move!!!..... I think I dropped my brain!
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 02:18:09 AM »
I haven't been on here for a while! how's everything going for you guys? you already started learning new drill wow. we just found out what show we're doing (Carmon this year so it's gonna be awsome) and we just got the sign up sheets. i had section and drum major tryouts on monday, and i tried out for clarinet section leader (the current one is graduating so she forced me to take her place which i don't mindl) and i found out yesterday that i got it so i'm really happy. I have 3 weeks left of school, then band camp starts the first week of august for me.
we did really good this year, it was the best year my band has ever had. Have any of you heard of james madison university? we got 2nd place there, and our band had never even placed in the top 10 before. I think we were in the top 3 at every competition we did. We got a superior rating at marching festival, and then we got a superior rating in wind ensemble at the state concert festival, so we are officially an honor band. and since it's the first time our county has ever had an honor band award, they're letting us get new uniforms for marching band and concert band so i'm really happy that i get a uniform that actually fits lol.
how'd your last season go?
-Ash
Age 16
*Clarinet Section Leader of the LHS Marching Eagles*
5/15/06- Right Scope- Debriment, Synovectomy, and L/R

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 02:59:51 AM »
My last season rocked the black socks off  (wow I'm such a loser). Yeah the only time we lost was against Chelsea's old band. But we won Vanderbilt, Bandmasters, and two others and got to march in the Hollywood Christmas parade (even though it was a month before Xmas  ::)). 

And I should probably clarify the drill: We got a block drill that we are going to do in the warm-up area (I still don't know how all 280 of us will fit doing it). It's an 8-8-8-8 block drill to the right with breathing exercises, connected to an 8-8-8-8 block to the left with breathing exercises, 8 steps with angle to the box (or that random cloud in the sky, whichever), touchstep, 8 steps backwards, touchstep, horn at a 45 angle, pivot, horn down on one, 8 steps, rock and roll, 8 steps forward with the horn at a 45 angle on 4, off-and-down. Not that difficult-- except when you try to teach it to freshmen (please excuse while I beat a child).

And I just found out that my band director is going to make 2 mellos section leader next season. This season I was a junior s/l because-- well-- I'm a hoss and I can play the horn (to say it one way-- I'm sure you don't want my resumé). So I've been marching on band knees since frosh band camp, but this year is the one that has to be bad. MY band director knows I will raise hell if I'm not section leader again (which is true-- no one wants to be dethroned), which is mainly because I feel like that no one else is really qualified to do the job, and I seriously think there would be very big power trips on the part of the girl I think would be co-section leader with me if there were two. I find out if I even AM section leader tomorrow at the band banquet... I put on the "Check which job you'd be willing to do" that I was aiming for Brass Captain, not section leader so he might do that... idk.

But we have the most amazing drum majors for next season!!!! I'm so excited because they are sooooo good. 

I hope our show is going to be okay... our bd sold-out this year season and is next season too because he REALLY wants to win USSBA Nationals next season. Our show is from the Epcot music that is played on the giant golf-ball-type-thing ride. It has some chessey name that I can remember. Selective memory because I remember not liking the name, but liking the music. Mainly because it has a mello solo and a baritone/trumpet/mello trio thing.

Wow this is long. Ok. I'll post tomorrow on the mello s/l results. Hopefully it's good for me!

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2007, 12:43:24 AM »
wow. you have 280 members in your band? we're only a single A band. We have around 65 members. Just look at my profile pic, that's my whole marching band lol. i can't imagine having 20 ppl or so in a section. that must be harsh cause we only have maybe 6 ppl per section.

-ash :o
Age 16

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2007, 12:59:14 AM »
It was humerous for me to watch the Vanderbilt DVD and know that we had sections bigger than some bands.

I think our roster looks something like this:
25 flutes
37 clarinets
38 altos
7 low reeds (5 tenors and 2 baris)
42 trumpets
18 mellophones
8 baritones
16 trombones
14 tubas
25 battery
20 pit
35 guard (our guard is horrible. We have an amazing "A" indoor guard-- but there are some that have no clue what they are doing.)

If I had my way, the band would have about 30 or so less people who don't care/don't contribute to the program.

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 03:25:53 AM »
wow that's crazy lol. i don't know the roster for this coming season yet, but here's what it was last season-
4 piccolos
6 flutes
6 clarinets
6 alto saxes
2 tenor saxes
2 bari saxes
5 trumpets
3 mellos
2 baritornes
1 tuba
2 trombones
5 pit
8 drumline
8 guard
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 03:28:48 AM by thebandgeek »
Age 16

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 07:51:42 PM »
I found my band on YouTube! This is the performance that won us the title of "MidSouth Marching Champions" and our rings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yd7CYd7yG4

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 02:29:40 AM »
That's cool. We had our spring concert on thursday, it was really really fun, but sad cause they make all the seniors stand up and we all clap for them since they're leaving.  We played 5 songs in symphonic, and 7 songs in wind ensemble and one encore (we finished the concert and as soon as the clapping died down, our band director motioned us to sit down, and we started straight into it without any introduction it was awsome, everyone was laughing- we played instant concert for the encore, and it has like, 30 songs in it, and is extreamly fast). it was the hardest program i have ever played. We played a professional grade piece called Festival Overture by Shostakovich it was amazing, but sooo hard because of all the runs and it was 7 pages for me lol. we have our band pot luck/awards on wednesday and i get my letter!!!! lol i'm happy about it

-ash
Age 16

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 03:51:51 AM »
OMG!!!!! Festive Overture!!!!! NO WAY!!!! That was our closer for my freshman marching show (2005)!!!! NO WAY!!!!! That song is flippin AMAZING!!!!!
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 05:21:36 PM »
I haven't played Festive Overture, but I played the Finale to Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 for All State Orch this year. That song is so evil... I love it!!!! I <3 Russian composers because their music makes you think that they're going to smack you in the face.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
GUESS WHAT FELLOW BAND DORKS?!?!?
We got our 2007 show music today!!!!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still dont know our theme and wont know it till the first week of band camp. All i know is its the music from Ice Age 2 but not the theme.....and the music.....LOOKS FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

support