Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone in marching band?  (Read 30094 times)

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
Re: Anyone in marching band?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 12:30:11 AM »
I havent heard from you gals in a while......so ill let you know whats going on in my marching band world!!!! PLEASE get back to me and let me know how yall are doing!!!! Tommorrow is our first band compitition!!!!! YEAH!!!!! At 6:45AM we have a breakfast for all the clarinet players, then we have rehersal at 7:45. Around noon we stop for lunch. Then we go out for more practice. We head over to the high school that we are performing at around 2:30. Its a 2 1/2 hour drive. We perform later in the night, then they hand out awards and announce the placements. We get back home at about 1:30 AM the next morning!!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
                        ~Chelsea~
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline J_Jackie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 01:05:54 AM »
Hey all,
I was in marching band for four years and loved it. I was a majorette (baton twirling) and it is something I will never forget! Twirling did put A LOT of strain on my knees as it involved a lot of dance and marching....oh love the marching!

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 01:22:06 AM »
I love it as well!!! I think the most important thing about it that can help you later in life when you move on to bigger and better things is the self-discipline aspect of it all!!! Theyre really strict and you have to push yourself through whatever they throw your way!!! It amazing and i know i will never forget about it!!!
               ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
  • Nobody move!!!..... I think I dropped my brain!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 12:56:44 AM »
hey! I'm srry that i haven't posted for a while! how are things with everyone? marching is going great! we had our first parade and here's a good pic of me from our marching site- http://www.darkhorsebss.com/band/Haymarket/pages/IMG_9312.htm i'm the one that's standing right in the middle and my clarinet is in my right hand lol. but yea, the rest of our band pics are here- http://www.darkhorsebss.com/band/. we had a lot of fun yesterday at the parade though. and here's a good pic of my friend sam that had knee surgery 2 times and helped me through mine last yr but he's the bari sax player- http://www.darkhorsebss.com/band/Haymarket/pages/IMG_9327.htm. and yes, our uniforms look pretty good, but my pants are too big and my jacket is too small lol. but that's okay i don't mind it! we've done one football game so far (we're only doing home games this yr and i dunno why). it was supposed to be on the 1st, but they had to change it to the 2nd cause of the rain, and that just happened to be the day that my band director had his baby, so he couldn't go to the game, so we didn't do our show, we just stood in an arc and played the music for it but it was still good. we had fun lol. yea, it's going good and my knee is holding up so i'm glad!

-ashley
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:59:06 AM by thebandgeek »
Age 16
*Clarinet Section Leader of the LHS Marching Eagles*
5/15/06- Right Scope- Debriment, Synovectomy, and L/R

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 01:24:58 AM »
I love yall uniforms!!! We dont have a band site, but i will take some pics of me and our uniforms and i can send them to your email address if you would like. Weve won both of our compititions so far!!!! This is gonna be a great year!!!! I just got done having a big cry cause my mom has told me that i cant do marching band next year unless im in the pit!!!! THIS SUX!!!! I LOVE MARCHING!!!!! My knees are killing me....i can barely walk. School is gonna be a PITA tommorrow!!! Friday was homecoming. This coming up saturday, we are performing in two copititions about 2 hours away from each other, and i have to ride on the bus next to this fat freshman and so my knee are jammed into the seat. When i get off the bus my knees are locked into place and i have to have someone help me walk it off!!! NOT FUN!!!!
                  ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 01:04:06 AM »
hey good news!!! I got that orchestra job! We have had about 2 weeks of reherseals and they sound pretty good!  ;D

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 11:30:20 AM »
HEY THATS GREAT NEWS!!!! Ive got news too.....im gonna try out for drum major next year so i dont have to mess up my knees marching, but can still be in the band  ;D !!!!
                        ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 01:24:57 AM »
hey! we had a game last night and we did our whole show and they loved it! it was great! plus last night was 8th grade night so we had extra ppl there but we did really good. here's a really really great pic of me- and i'm in the middle lol http://www.darkhorsebss.com/band/Culpeper/pages/IMG_9396_filtered.htm our director taped the show during pracitce from up in the stands, so we're gonna watch it on monday cause our first competition is next saturday in richmond at hermitage high. so that'll be fun! our drill writer even came by on thursday to see us do the show for him and he loves it! it's going great!

oh, and i had my wind ensomble chair test and i got 3rd chair out of 11! i'm so happy! lol cause i didn't think that i'd ever do that well in there. i took my symphonic band chair test yesterday, and i'll find out the results on monday but i know that i got 1st chair in there cause there isn't anyone else in there that's in wind ensomble! so i'm happy i get to be a section leader! yay!!! lol

-ashley
Age 16

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »
Is that a park and bark section of the show cause its looks like youre blowing your lungs out ;)  ;D !!!! Good picture though!!!!
We had 2 compititions yesterday. The first one got cancelled right as we finished in our warm-up area. So they had us arch up in the gym and we played our show marking time. This was the first time in ten years that a marching compitition has been rained out!!!! Some of te fans who were sitting up in the stands said that the stands where shaking because we were playing so loud  :o !!!! Then we drove for 5 hours straight to the next compitition which hadnt had much rain so wasnt cancelled. We were out in warm-up archs (in our soaking uniforms....remember they are BRAND NEW!!!!). And it started to pour with wind and rain coming from all directions, so we ran to the school and stayed in the gym for 30 mins until it ended. Then we continued warming-up and went to the stadium to perform. We were the last band to perform (because we had another compitition and got there late), so the feild wasnt even grass any more.....it was MUD!!!!!! So we marched out to our opening set. The pit crew were tying to hook up an amplifier for our flute soloist....but the power had gone out of the little box. So we stood with our intruments at carraige for 15 mins. We won both competitions despite everything that happened. The director said that he has never had so much happen to one band in the same day!!!
                   ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 06:25:12 PM »
Yea, i'm pretty sure that they took that when we had a 12 count hold. :P lol. that's good that you guys are winning all your competitions! ;D
i messed up my left knee last week, i tripped on the side walk and have this huge scrap on my knee, so it's making my left knee die. my section leader has had to make me sit out a oupld times during practice cause my knee's were hurting so badly but i never wanna get off the field so she has to get someone to force me of the field lol.

-ashley
Age 16

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 10:38:54 PM »
Noone even acknowledges my knee problems other than some of the visual staff who tell me to "just do the lunges as good as you can with your knees"!!! Are all of your instructors funny?!?!? All of mine are.....even the band directors have a sense of humor sometimes!!! What about band director quotes?!?!? Do you have any good one?!?!
              ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

morgan4219

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 04:22:12 AM »
Im in marching band.  We did a pretty cool show featuring "Vertigo" by U2, "Ruby  Tuesday" by  The Rolling stones, "Pinball Wizard" by the who, and Let it be by the beetles.  I play piano, flute, and some percussion.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 03:23:19 PM »
So did you march flute or were you in the pit?!?
           ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 04:14:20 AM »
I saw this (and even though its been kinda abandoned for awhile) and I had to respond because ever since I had to quit riding band= life. I march mello, I play French horn in band and orchestra, and I'm semi-retired on violin. I play at church but that's about it. My mom used to play pro on horn so unfortunately that means I have standards to make/exceed. So far I'm doing ok on horn... I'm going to All State again if that means anything...

Last year i was part of a TN band, and just moved to IN and am part of the Homestead band!!!!
If you don't mind me asking-- which band were you in? I'm over in West TN at Houston (the really big band with 280 people).

^This year's band :)

^A close-up on our uniform which were new last year. They remind me of Star-Trek.

This year we earned the title "Mid-South Marching Champions" (and we got rings!) because we won 4 out of 5 contests this season. Next year we're doing a show to the Epcot fireworks music. Supposedly we're going to a national competition in DC-- but we don't do BOA. I heart my band program... and I'm really sad that I my knees might not let me march my senior year  :'(. I would go from drum major/field commander but I think I would be horrible and not fair to the band if I was it.

^That was taken at the Vanderbilt Marching Invitational (which we won  :))

And if I didn't have bad knees I would audition to be in Phantom Regiment. Any other DCI fans here?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 04:16:43 AM by stickshifty »
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
Oh Yeah!!! Im a big DCI fan!!! Love phantom regiment and the blue devils.
I was part of Columbia Centrals band in Columbia tennesse (about 60 miles south of nashville). We had about 230 people.
Congrats on making it to all-state...thats a big deal!!!
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

support