Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone in marching band?  (Read 30097 times)

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Nobody move!!!..... I think I dropped my brain!
Anyone in marching band?
« on: August 21, 2006, 04:31:49 AM »
hey! i just wanted to see if anyone else on here is in marching band.  So plz post! It would be nice to talk to some other ppl who are in it with knee problems!

-ashley
Age 16
*Clarinet Section Leader of the LHS Marching Eagles*
5/15/06- Right Scope- Debriment, Synovectomy, and L/R

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Anyone in marching band?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 05:10:19 AM »
Hey Ashley,

I'm in marching band. What is your show this year?

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:44:15 PM »
Hey gals.....im in marching band two.....i think ive talked to both of you!!! WE GOT NEW UNIFORMS THIS YEAR!!! I just got fitted like 2 hours ago. Im a sophmore. Last year i was part of a TN band, and just moved to IN and am part of the Homestead band!!!! We started school last wednesday....what about you?!? Can your knee handle marching band?!? Does your band do squats during the show?!? We just added some today.....and were squating for like 48 counts!!!! My knees are killing me cause i wasnt smart enough to sit out after they collapsed the second time!!! How often do yall have practice?!? We have 3 hrs. a night. Have you finished your drill yet?!? WE DID!!!
                ~Chelsea~
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 12:27:51 AM »
I am not in marching band,but i play in usual band(violin and drums sometimes) and i have played in orchestra for some time,thought no marching in there:P
unhappy triad

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »
Where are you located?!? That depends on whethre or not you do marching band!!! If youre not in the US chances are you havent even marched as it takes place on an american football feild!!! We have a German foreign exchange student that has never marched before, but luckily she is in the pit!!!
                  ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 04:12:00 AM »
wow, i didn't think that many ppl would be in it lol. yea, i've talked to you (chelsea) before. this year we're doing Fiddler on the Roof. I'm from Va. I didn't do marching band last year (cause i was doing soccer and i screwed up my knee by doing it too lol) but i got convinced into doing it and i really really like it (i'm a sophmore by the way). we started band camp on the 8th so for the past 2 weeks we've had practice everyday from 8-4 but this week it's from 3-6 then after school it's 3-5. our school doesn't start till next monday. we've almost finished drill, so far it's about 40 pages (the guy is writing the rest as we speak lol) so we have maybe 15 pages left and it's going good. we use poker chips during drill lol (does every band do that? just wondering). we don't get new uniforms (there are only 2 high schools in our county and they gave the other hs new one's this yr. plus our hs has only been here for 10 yrs) so ours are gonna suck lol (they're mainly white with red and blue-darn our patriotic colors lol srry).  but yea that's about it lol. srry if i rambled.

-ashley
Age 16

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:36:41 PM »
We dont use poker chips.....actually we only used them once and that was when we were practicing st the football stadium. We usually just spray paint the set number on the ground. Do yall use drill books?!? We dont really have a theme for our show this year, but our show title is "Within". Im a sophmore as well. The weird thing about getting new uniforms this year is that the school i was at last year, was planning on getting new uniforms too  :o !!! HOW IRONIC!!! Theyre blue on the coat with three black stripes. They zip up from the back, our pants are black as well.  Well heres our schedule for during the school year:
Mondays, ,Wednesdays and Fridays - after school till 5
Tuesdays and Thurdays - we all have band 7th block and go outside for the 47 mins that our class lasts, then we go home and come back from 6 till 8:30
Pretty rough on the knees. Today we squeezed in 3 full runs!!!
Okay....ive got a question. On the backwards marching, does anyone find that theyre clves and thigh muscles hurt more on your bad knee than your good knee?!? Mine do. But then again......my bad knee swaps from day to day  ;)  ;D !!! When are yalls football games?!? Whens your first compitition?!?
                    ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 10:07:28 PM »
We have used poker chips before because we have turf in our stadium, so we can't spray paint dots. However, most of the time we march on the back parking lot, so we just use chalk to mark our spots.

Have either of you ever heard of Dr. Tim? He came to Atlanta yesterday and about 70 kids from our band went. It was amazing!

We practice from 4-6 on Mondays, and 6-9 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Wednesdays we always have off, and in September we'll either have competitions or all day practices on Saturday. Our first football game is on September 2nd, I think. Our first two games are on Saturdays and then they will be on Friday nights.

Well...I should go get ready for practice...even though it's storming! lol

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 10:38:25 PM »
I just got back from band and guess what happened......you guessed it.....more choreographing!!!! This time its kneeling for 36 counts  :o !!! My right knee (operated knee) actually handled it better than my left one. This probably could be cause my right knee (the one i was kneeling on) didnt even touch the ground because my left knee was taking all the strain off it. Im very protective of my right knee. So know my left knees killing me. Today was one of the worst days ive EVER had at marching band. We had 1 pass-out, 2 nose bleeds and a seizure!!!!! We should NOT have been out there today!!!
I have never heard of Dr. Tim.....does he do some sort of band camp?!? Ive got LOADS of homework.....so i should probably get off!!!
                   ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 06:26:40 PM »
We just got turf put in our stadium but we haven't had a chance to march on it yet cause of football and field hockey and stuff like that, so we have a small side field that's at the front of the school that our band director painted yard lines on so that we can use it. we don't use drill books, i mean, we have binders and then we get about 5-10 pages of drill per day (cause the person that's writing it isn't finished yet so he's writing some everyday and then sending it to use) so we just use the little page protector things and put them all into our binders.  our first game is on sept. 1st, we have a parade on the 16th, and then we have our first competition in richmond on the 30th.

today instead of practice we're getting fitted for our uniforms and shoes, then we have to play the fight song like, 20 times for freshman orientation lol. but it'll be okay. we start school on monday. we should be getting our shirts anytime- we just found out that they're gonna be dark blue with silver print!!!! yay they'll cool. they're the ones that will have all our names on it and we'll wear them ever friday that we have to play at football games, and every morning of a football game we have to play in the lobby for an hr before school starts.

-ashley
Age 16

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 08:12:40 PM »
Sounds like fun!!! I LOVE getting fitted for uniforms and playing stand tunes!!! Our drill writer finished our drill a long time ago. So they printed of lots of copies, and gave them to us. So were all running around with 90+ pages of drill in little binders straped to our shoulders. Its a PITA to march with. Weve got 2 practice feils and the stadium that we use on a regular basis. On the after-school practices we do basics on one feild and practice the show on the other. The reason we have separate feils for that is, after 3 days of marching, were leaving HUGE ruts in the ground and were tripping over them when we march backwards cause we cant see them. Then on the 6-8:30 practices we have a hour indoor rehersal then we go to the stadium!!! I think im coming down with a cold  :P .........just what i need. Marching with a sore throat, runny nose, headache, and my ALWAYS bum knees will be interesting tonight!!!! Wish me luck!!!
             ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 01:13:35 AM »
Sadly, my school did not have a marching band. We used to...I found the uniforms hanging in the band closet one day...but due to budget cuts and our location in the US marching band isn't a very popular activity. I always wanted to be in one. since i'm a professional musican I have played in every ensemble you can think of...except...you guessed it the marching band!

however, I am thinking about spending a summer down in Disney playing in their marching bands. But, for now I am going on an interview to be a youth orchestra conductor! I am soo excited about this!!  :) I hope I get it!

I have a good friend in Arizona who is a marching band director at one of the big schools. For the life of me can't remeber...heh.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 01:23:46 AM »
I feel really sorry for you. I cant believe it.....no marching band. That sux. I hope you get the job as a youth orchestra director. That sounds like fun. Ive always thought that being a band director would be a fun job. I hope you get the chance to march with a band....its a lot of work but really rewarding and fun. What instuments do you play?!?
BAND GEEKS UNITE!!!!!!!  :P  ::)
             ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »

I play flute, piccolo and piano. Flute and piccolo are the 2 instruments I play professionaly. But I teach all 3 privately. yeah I'm hoping to march with a band someday but sadly I have to wait until both hips and both knees settle down. I keep having my left knee give out!! not cool when you are marching with a really good instrument and you fall over...it would be like...hmmm which to protect the knee or the really expensive instrument?? LOL I treat my instruments really well.

I see from your name you play Clarient? are you looking to pursue a career in music?

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 02:42:09 AM »
You play flute!!! Awesome!!!! One of my best friends plays the flute. For years ive been trying to get sound to come out of that darn thing, and finally about 4 months ago i succeded!!! I was so proud. Then I had to move away from my hometown and i dont know any of the flute players in my new band so im afraid im gonna lose my knowledge of the flute  ;)  ;D  (all 3 notes  ::) ). Yeah....i think itd be best if you wait until youre body's ready. Its a lot more rough on the knees then it looks. And a lot of the bands like to add visuals in like squats and kneeling  :P !!! I would be more worried about my instrument than my knee....but thats just me  ;D !!!! I play a Buffet which is like on the best wooden clarinets you can ever hope to have. I usually march with a plastic one, but it broke so until i can get it fixed i am marching with my expensive Buffet. Im so scared that im gonna mess it up somehow. At rehersal on Sat. it started raining, and you know what happens to wood when it gets wet (not to mention the pads and corks). We were marching and i stopped playing so i could try to keep my clarinet from getting wet. Then the directors made the announcement over the loudspeaker that all the woodwind players needed to put their instruments up. Everyone started walking to their cases to try to take as much time as possible away from pratice. But i ran (as fast as my knees would allow). I DID NOT want my clarinet to get messed up. During the rest of the practice we had to hum our music and march with invisible horns  ;D !!! That was exciting i allways have liked to pretend  ;) !!! For the rest of the weekend my knees were hurting like h*** but i was happy cause my clarinet wasnt messed up (what a band geek). 
Yes i play clarinet. I have had a goal for around 2 1/2 years now to try to make something of myself through music. This is mainly cause after i had to sit out of soccer (which was my life for years) because of my knees, ive lost all of the talent i originally had  :'( . I was planning on trying my best for getting a college scholarship through soccer. But my knee problems opened my eyes, and i have learned that theres is more than soccer. So i have taken up music instead, and am the biggest band geek around. I am hoping for a music scholarship to a college of music in TN (Bellmont), if not ill go to Middle Tennessee State University. I have been thinking about a career in music education. I high school band director would be a nice job as i am so critical of the way the high school band directors run their band. I am teaching myself the saxaphone and the piano. I will eventually get around to learning the guitar. I think at the end of the year i may try out for drum major for the next marching band season. That would get me ahead as far as conducting goes  ;D !!!
Sorry that was so long, but as i said "i am a major band geek". You get me on the topic of band and i wont shut up  ;D !!!!
HUGS,  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*
                    ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee