Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: JB's ACL, Allograft (Anterior tibialis tendon), meniscus trim post-op diary  (Read 39135 times)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: JB's ACL, Allograft (Anterior tibialis tendon), meniscus trim post-op diary
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 04:07:53 PM »
slow steady progress seems to work best for us ACLr-ers! - Amen Sister JIC! Hopefully, it continues this way.

I feel like I'm at then end of the "acute phase". I'm praying things continue to progress as I look forward to the active life I've had to put on hold for what seems like ages.

If I had to guess why things are going so well, it would be that my knee was not sore or swollen when I went into surgery. My surgery was straight forward, with a meniscus trim and allograft.

Prior to surgery, I strengthened my legs for a year or more (between instability injuries). 

Additionally, I have access to excellent resources, a sports minded, knee-expert OS, well-educated PT, access to gyms, and these boards have been terrific.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 04:46:26 PM »
I think you are right...the ability to strengthen your legs and prep for surgery seems like a big rehab bonus! I know I was going into surgery with a lot of muscle loss and really talked with my OS about whether I should do PT first to build muscle. We decided that to the extent I could - great - but not to postpone since my post-op protocol with the meniscus repair was going to cause so much more muscle loss that unless I wanted to wait a year and work intensively (and hope for no injury) - I couldn't combat that with a few weeks extra PT. I have to admit the NWB protocols and muscle loss make me feel weeks behind others with different surgeries/injuries...my "acute" phase is only just now coming to an end as I reach 7 weeks post-op - but I know I will catch up to all of you eventually!

I like how many people on this board recognize that there is no one way rehabs go (timeline)...but that we are all ultimately moving through the same phases and support and encourage each other along the way!

I'm betting that while you will have some frustration - since this really is a long slow process - at the end you will be able to do everything you have been missing :) In the meantime enjoy all the small accomplishments! I know I am really looking at so many things differently as I go through this process! (and I'm counting myself as lucky too since I've got access to the same resources you cite - and I know not everyone is that fortunate!)
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

Offline SarahY

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2006, 06:53:42 PM »
Hi JB...sounds like things are going well.  Lately it does seem slow and steady; at least for me.  I agree with what you said about the pre-surgery rehab stuff.  I know for me, it was difficult since I was still walking with a limp up until the day of my surgery.  I did do pre-surgery rehab and I can see where it has definitely helped.

Keep up the good work...have a wonderful weekend!
Sarah
ACL tear, 3/06
ACL allograft 7/06

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 04:09:16 PM »
Day 18 - drove to the gym, cycled half rotations (7 minutes), added a few full rotations, didn't seem like a problem.

strolled around the gym looking for knee-friendly, upper body machines, there were 4 in a row, got a good workout in a short time.

Being careful until I see PT on Tues. Still icing, ibuprofen 1x daily.

Had to visit the hospital to remove a stitch which was overlooked by the OS assistant. One incision wasn't healing properly. Looks good 24 hours later.....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 05:51:37 PM by jb-knee-geek »
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 04:12:59 PM »
Hi JB, almost three weeks now eh?  And things are progressing nicely.  Glad you aren't pushing it too much because you feel you can.  Sensible!  Is your knee still swollen or are you just taking precaution following exercise?  Much pain/discomfort at this stage?
R knee symptoms 2003
Feb 06: MRI extensive complex tear/shredded R medial meniscus
Aug 06: NHS offer removal of most of meniscus
Oct 06: Partial meniscectomy, plica resection and CMI in Germany
Mar 2008: R CMI failure
L knee symptoms 2006
Mar 2008: cartilage defect patella, pes anserine bursa

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 05:49:06 PM »
Hi Spy, thanks for checking in.

I read your post on your plan for CMI, it seems like a smart strategy.  I wish you the best and will be interested in your experience. I'm interested because if I need a another meniscus trim, I might opt for CMI myself.....

It seems 3 weeks is a PT timeline to evaluate whether to take rehab to another level.

I'm taking precautions, knee is 10-20% more swollen than un-op'd knee, I continue to take anti-inflamms and ice.

Knee is stiff but ROM improves daily. Rehab 3-4x daily, one of those at the gym, takes ~15 minutes, gym for about 30.

No crutches, no soft brace, still sit while taking a shower, can probably stand easy enough. Just being cautious on a wet surface......

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »
Day 19 - excellent workout at the gym, cycled with mixed half/full rotations, 7 minutes, walked the treadmill for 5 minutes, low speed, no incline, spent quality time on knee friendly upper body machines.

Almost an hour workout. Knee felt a little sore above the kneecap. With ice & ibuprofen, no pain, a little stiff as I start Day 20.

Can see some muscle definition (if you look really hard). Quad is like jelly.

Took my first shower without a chair. Back to normal sleeping pattern.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »
Day 20 (3 weeks today!) - knee's feelilng good, did my rehab routine, plus a trip to the gym for the full body workout, full rotations on the exercise bike, decided to skip the treadmill until I spoke with PT.

Day 21 - Knee started the day a more stiff than normal, possible due to yard work from yesterday, plus PT routines. Supervised PT session early morning. He added 0 resistance leg press, standing hamstring curl (weighted), weighted leg raise, and 0 resistance full rotation on the exercise bike. He measured 0 extension 130 flexion, said I should focus on heel to toe walking, I guess this is to lose the limp.

Started work from home today. This may cut into my KG time  :(

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 12:30:18 AM »
OK, I'm getting jealous now!

0 resistance leg press?  Just pushing on the plate without any weight?  I am going to the gym tomorrow to speak to a coach about doing leg presses.  But am a bit wary since my R knee is feeling a little precarious, but I can sit with it at 90 degress bend and am driving OK so expect I can do small movements to exercise the quads?  Scared to make things worse though.  I read back and you had similar problems for leg presses pre-op.
R knee symptoms 2003
L knee symptoms 2006

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 05:34:17 AM »
Hi Spy, right, pushing on the plate w- no weight. 

I was on a TotalGym at the rehab clinic, (http://totalgym.com) where the plate doesn't move but the cushion you lie on does. It just works ROM, using your body weight. I'll emulate that at my gym w- the leg press... fingers crossed.

leg press with a torn meniscus is difficult, especially at a deep angle, I'd suggest 30-45 degrees at most. It doesn't take much to work the quad. Heck, leg press w- a sliced meniscus is no joy, today I have some work out pain.

Have you tried wall squats w- an exercise ball in the small of your back? Easier on the knee and you can tell degree at a time where your limit is...... Or, the warrior pose in yoga? Used both in pre-op, hope to get back to these some day.....

don't be jealous, I'm post-op, you're supposed to feel sorry for me!

best to you,

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2006, 12:49:15 AM »
day 22 - I had a great workout at the gym, did my rehab & upper body workout, then tried some machines w- 0 resistance. exer-cycle (10 minutes), leg press, hamstring curl, calf raise, woooo-hoooo!

I attempted one hamstring curl machine where you can flip the pad to focus on one or the other hammie, my knee barked when I tried to fit into it. Got to remember to be careful at this stage.

Knee was tired but felt good.

Very happy, now to the ice.

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2006, 12:57:56 AM »
**applauds**

Well done!  And glad you are heeding your limitations.

I was at the gym today also.  It's changed a lot in 15 yrs  ;D  Very high tech.  Not really sure what I did.  Ermmm the arm bike thingy, the elliptical (had a knee pop on that one though and on the recumbent bike which I abandoned in fear), tried leg presses and a few other arm ones to make me feel like I did something.  All very light weight/low-resistance.  I think I'll be doing mainly the arm bike and elliptical though 'cos I like the cardiovascular work.  Are you aware of favouring one leg on the leg press?

My surgery is pencilled in for 16 Oct, providing I can get x-rays done and posted in time and all is OK with them.  I already have my rehab marked out to the date!
R knee symptoms 2003
L knee symptoms 2006

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »
Hi Spy, 15 years since you've been in a gym? sheesh, good thing you like to run, HA!  ;D

yes, I definitley notice a diff on the leg press between the good and bad leg. Only natural, snice my op'd quad is jello-like, but coming back.

good luck w- surgery, I look forward to your posts. Has your OS told you what to expect long term from the CMI? Is this a once in a lifetime deal (assuming normal wear-n-tear)?

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »
And don't I know it!  Can hardly move my arms today... driving is a nightmare!  Didn't really notice the knees lol

Long-term CMI results are unknown as it's only been around 6-7 years, but no problems reported so far.  OS has said he cannot guarantee anything and regrowth could be 30-40%, it could be 60-70% of defect.  He did say no difference in symptoms related to how much meniscus lost though.  And my latest x-rays are to ensure not too much damage to the bone surface prior to implant as too much wear and tear can damage the implant.  So fingers crossed (now cringing at the thought of all that mileage - it's surely had some effect)  Should find out next week once the x-ray dept work out what a Rosenberg view is!!
R knee symptoms 2003
L knee symptoms 2006

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 07:53:37 PM »
seems like you're in good hands w- an exciting development in meniscus surgery.

support