Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: JB's ACL, Allograft (Anterior tibialis tendon), meniscus trim post-op diary  (Read 39137 times)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Hi EyeSpy - yes, the meniscus work is the limiting factor.  I'm a little disappointed, but glad I didn't do even more damage over the 5 years I delayed ACL surgery. 

Hopefully I'll fully recover and discover new ways to stay fit that don't include bouncing on my thin-ner meniscus.

going to the gym is easy, it's in the basement of the building where I work, and I was motivated.

Day 7: wearing the cryo cuff most of the time, taking it off when water warms, then back on about in about an our. Leg elevated most of the time. First PT early tomorrow.

Discovered a little more pain today, not sure what that's from, too much cryo cuff? too much weight bearing? normal? Notice warm to the touch around the meniscus area.

Guessing too much weight bearing after reading through my PT materials.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 03:31:01 AM by jb-knee-geek »
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline SarahY

• Regular Poster
Hi JB...I noticed once the swelling started to subside and the numbness went away, I had a bit more pain.  I also stopped with the pain meds so if you have cut back that could cause the soreness.  I was really getting into my excercises after the first few days and I was definitely more sore. 

However, it does sound like it could be from wearing too much weight too fast.  Hang in there...you are doing great!

Sarah
ACL tear, 3/06
ACL allograft 7/06

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
sarah - right you are, just back from my PT, he said the same, tough for me to know when I'm doing too much. I guess I'm into the good days/bad days routine. 

Day 8   - 1st visit to PT, measured my extension at 6 degrees, I got to 90 degree flexion, said I was doing good, OS has me on the aggresive plan, a good thing? PT gave me single leg raise and prone hang to add to my pase 1 rehab.

After checking my post-op photos, PT also thought I'd get back to all my activities, I can't get my head around it. For now, I'm good with my 4 reps of phase I rehab.

Revelation: Icing 20 minutes every 2 hours was his recommendation, any more may be self defeating. Makes sense, the cryo cuff is tough to beat for convenience. If you want to save $'s, ice bag is just fine.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 11:09:59 PM by jb-knee-geek »
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Day 9 - starts with little pain, 2-3 level, more conscious of weight bearing. The need to be careful during the first few weeks is a main concern. Will not aim to lose the crutches just yet.

Passive rehab is the goal, will aim for 4+ reps per day.

PT does not like leg extension of any kind during this period, I'll wear the soft brace more often.

Notice quad and calf muscle wastage, need to work it. I can almost see my full kneecap, swelling improving daily.

Offline SarahY

• Regular Poster
6 degrees extension?  I am so jealous.  Pray I get past 4 degrees (been there for over a week now).  It really sound like you are doing well.  I told my PT I want to be pushed a little.  She tough on me, but I feel like it's worth it (not during therapy though!  but afterwards).

I was doing single leg raises from day 2 and I still do them.  Oh...about the ice...my PT recommended a large bag of peas...long enough to lay on top and the side of your knees.  I have used that bag so many times!

Keep up the good work...it really sounds like you are doing well.  Whatever you do, don't catch up to me...I'll feel really defeated!   ;D
Sarah
ACL tear, 3/06
ACL allograft 7/06

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
hey sarah, thanks for the kind words, I'm happy to hear you think I'm progressing well. It good to get feedback from one who has walked the walk.  Seems like pain levels fluctuate day to day, sometimes even intra-day.

Can't explain why my extension may seem so good, I've been doing specific rehab for it and have been for a year+ in pre-op.

It's a marathon not a sprint.....

Day 10 starts with a set of rehab before leaving bed, cryocuff in place. Last night I almost took a pain pill, but fell asleep without it, slept pretty well through the night. Wife popped in with some coffee in bed this AM, we did a job search, I am still useful to her  :)

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
jb you are doing so well! I think the fluctuating pain levels are normal - at least they are normal for me - I have good and bad times of day, driven a little on what I've been doing too. I think the early days after ACLR are even more hour to hour than day to day!

Isn't it nice to realize even if you can't do all the physical stuff you used to do (and will do again!) that you are still useful :)

And bless our spouses for coffee in bed. It's been my favorite part of my life post-op  ;D
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi JIC - thanks for the confirming the different phases in the early stage.  Have to agree about coffee in bed, a nice touch. I'm able to field phone calls during the day which helps my wife w/ car repair and other contractors, like her personal assistant.  ;D

Day 11 - spent more time one crutching, turned the corner on weight bearing, seems like less overall pain. Rehab exercises seem slightly easier, consistent 4x daily.  Spent most of the day leg elevated, icing. Stopped ibuprofen, OS says to continue if there is swelling. I'll take 600/2x daily.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Day 12 - one crutching and no crutching around the house more often, knee feels stable with less pain when weight bearing. Swelling and flexion improving. Doing early rehab exercise 4x daily consistently. Need to keep up the icing and ibuprofen even though things are improving. PT appt. tomorrow, onward and upward.

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
Excellent progress JB!

You're making it sound too easy  ;)
R knee symptoms 2003
Feb 06: MRI extensive complex tear/shredded R medial meniscus
Aug 06: NHS offer removal of most of meniscus
Oct 06: Partial meniscectomy, plica resection and CMI in Germany
Mar 2008: R CMI failure
L knee symptoms 2006
Mar 2008: cartilage defect patella, pes anserine bursa

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi EyeSpy, I just hope I don't screw it up by being over-confident, that's how I damaged my meniscus.... ah yea, if knew then what I know now... how often can you say that about things in your life  ??? Gots to look forward, not back.....

Day 13 - turned the corner on weight bearing, walked around the house without crutches about 75% of the time.  my wife has that look of serious disapproval, she's an angel most of the time, but don't piss her off! I'm feeling the heat, promised to keep crutching until OS and PT says it time to ditch the sticks.

Day 14 starts with a visit to PT, says I'm doing good, 1 degree extension, 90 degree flex, gave the approving nod as I moved through some rehab routines and half turns on the exercise bike.

says I can do the same at home if I can find a stationary bike. A friend has one I can borrow, if I can get it home......

I can't lose the crutches for another week, safety first! Says I no longer need the soft brace, except for sleep, he added a hip strengthen routine to the mix. Confirmed I should continue ibuprofen until swelling is gone. OS visit tomorrow.

Swelling is improving, knee feels wooden (from swelling I'm told), scars healing nicely, still seated in  shower.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Day 15, feeling so much better. Weight bearing more often, no pain, getting muscle sore in the calf and quad, now looking to work on the limp and gain stregnth.

Went to see the OS, went over the photos from the operation, confirmed all is looking good, says I lost some depth on my meniscus. If I avoid deep, weight bearing squats, I'll be fine.

Noticed I still have swelling, says it should continue to reduce for a while, he gave me some message to work over the leg which should help reduce swelling, his assistant removed the stitches. Re: crutches, his concern is stability, we both agreed to go with PT recommendation to use one crutch for another week. Seems like a safety precaution, I guess it's like a cane. We also went over future use of a neoprene brace for warmth and as a bio-feeedback mechanism. 

He gave me the ok to increase the number of sets of rehab I do, but left it to the PT to add exercises to the routine.

I'm thrilled.....

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Day 16: can walk around the house w/out crutches easily. thinking of taking a drive soon. I'll take a crutch along as a safety measure, but right now it just slows me down....

Over did it on one of my extension exercises, got a nice jolt from the meniscus, reminding me not too be cocky. Doesn't seem to be a problem except when I overextend the knee joint.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: JB's ACL, Allograft (Anterior tibialis tendon), meniscus trim post-op diary
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »
day 17 - woohoo - drove to the post office and gym, crutch-less, though I had them in the car.

did my rehab routine at the gym including half rotations on the bike. I wanted to take a whirl on the rest of the machines, but the new, patient me only allowed the abs machine. Taking no chances these days.

Knee feels good, good flexion & extension, improves daily. Iced plenty on the couch at home, downed an ibuprofen for good measure. Taking 2 daily. Swelling improves daily.

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
Re: JB's ACL, Allograft (Anterior tibialis tendon), meniscus trim post-op diary
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 03:55:28 AM »
Yay - driving feels GOOD so independent! Sounds like you are making excellent measured progress. I think that makes the most sense - if you push too too hard you backslide - slow steady progress seems to work best for us ACLr-ers!

You are making this all seem pretty easy! :)
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy