Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: JB's ACL, Allograft (Anterior tibialis tendon), meniscus trim post-op diary  (Read 39271 times)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
a year has gone by, and time for an update, not sure how many more posts I'll have, but I'll check in from time to time. 

It's been a long, strange trip, as the song goes. I started this journey about 5 years ago, playing baseball, as I made a play on a fly ball in right field, my knee hyper extended and 'pop' went the ACL. I was helped off the field. I had 3-4 prior knee sprains during a lifetime of sports, so who knows what condition my ACL was in until that moment in RF (I made the catch, by the way).

I was eventually diagnosed with a partially torn ACL, which eventually became a fully torn ACL. Are partial tears like partial pregnant?

I was mis-diagnosed at first, with a bone bruise by the OS assistant. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to work with experienced radiologist, OS and PT. These people are life savers. If they work on less than 30-40 patients per year, move on to another.

I interviewed 3 surgeons seeking their opinions. One said, 'surgery now or surgery later, your choice', another said, 'let's see if we can rehab you and put off surgery', this worked for 4 years. I did mash my meniscus during this time, but allograft technology moved along (cleaning technique and research) and I met a great OS near-er my home. Delaying surgery had it trade offs.

The 3rd opinion was  useless, he didn't look at my MRI, he was unprepared, thankfully I had done my homework. His advice, 'don't do unnecessary surgery'. Thanks Doc.

After the inital injury, I nursed along very well, playing sports with a bulky Donjoy brace until the instability couldn't be ignored. For an athlete, the experience was diluted as I wasn't the player I had been, but still pretty good.

I met an excellent, sports minded OS (a 4th opinion overall) near my home and scheduled the surgery. I was in good physical shape prior to surgery, though the instability episodes became frequent.

Now a year post-op, I'm back to all my prior activities with minor limitations, due to the meniscus I lost. I still haven't gone full out with pivot sports or back packing. But, I'll give both a try, eventually.

I'm an "older athlete", and currently pick knee friendly sports. This is a personal preference, it works for me. I'm not a good example for young athletes attempting a quick comeback, my healing process took every bit of a year. I'm 50 years young, have a demanding desk job and a 2 hour daily commute.

Many thanks to the Knee Geeks who've helped me along the way, there's lot of good stuff on the pages, some not so good.

As another of my fav songs goes, I'll see you later on, down the road.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:48:08 PM by jb-knee-geek »
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
Bravo JB!

Happy one year anniversary!

I am happy for you and your knee - and for your regaining your fitness level and ability to play sports in a more "balanced and stable" way (excuse the ACL reconstruction pun).

In that I am of similar vintage and formerly very fit (expecting to be very fit again), I applaud your returing to the land of the athletic pursuit, notwithstanding the fact that your pursuits are of the weekend warrior persuasion!

In my case, I am using Sting's "New Day" song/video as my healing-in-process theme song.

PS - I also had a deceased donor's anterior tibialis tendon used as an allograft for my ACL.  I am so very appreciative that I had this life-saving surgery - and also very appreciative of the family of the donor/the deceased donor for actually seeing fit to provide their tissues to the tissue bank for our fortuitous benefit.

Cheers to you JB!

Knee-will-be-great!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:21:10 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline cassieoz

• Forum Faithful
Hi BJ,

Your thread has made me sad and happy all at the same time. I loved it!

I really enjoy reading other people's stories, it help me stay motivated especially now im only at the start Day 4 post op. Im always keen reading up on the diary's to see the physio stages as well and think you had some great people who wrote along with you and that's always positive. You sounded like you had a tough year but glad you pushed through it all and now going back to a selected range of sports......!

Im 28 and do Taekwondo and all i can think about at the moment is getting back to where i was competeing. Obviously not as hard as before but just enjoy it again would be amazing!

Well done and good luck,

Cassie x

LEFT KNEE
1st ACLr -Hamstring 17th August 2007
2nd ACLr -Allograft hamstring 5th September 2008
Bone Allograft- 24th November 2014
3rd ACLr - Patella 22nd June 2015

Offline cassieoz

• Forum Faithful

Sorry JB  ;D
LEFT KNEE
1st ACLr -Hamstring 17th August 2007
2nd ACLr -Allograft hamstring 5th September 2008
Bone Allograft- 24th November 2014
3rd ACLr - Patella 22nd June 2015

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
thanks for the kind words:

KWBG - glad to hear you're coming along so well. The anterior tibilias tendon is about a good as it gets for allografts. My knee is very stable, I've had several "got-ya" moments along the way, and it's held up very well. It's my uninjured leg that needs stregthening, I haven't been able to ponder that for a long time.

Cassie - welcome to the world of post-op rehab, think of it this way, you're on your way to a comeback. If you're only dealing with a torn ligament, you should be able to return 100%, but give it time. Best of luck to you.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: JB's ACL, Allograft (Anterior tibialis tendon), meniscus trim post-op diary
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »
~13 months -  I've been hit with another round of tendonitis. This seems to be my only recurring issue post-op. Occurs occassionaly after strenuous activites (hiking, mtn. biking)

I'm guessing I need to warm up and cool down properly before/after activities. Getting old (or is it staying young?) is hard work.....

Rest, ice, passive weighted extension (that's leg extended on pillows, light weight above knee) and IT band stretch working well. A few days worth, then back to the action. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:29:09 AM by jb-knee-geek »

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2007, 07:37:45 PM »
Keep on going JB; you are one of my inspirations here on the Kneegeeks website ...

Cheers to you ... and your knees!!

Knee-will-be-great!!!
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2007, 09:43:24 PM »
thank KWBG - I've been reading your diary as well and I'm happy to hear your recovery is going well too. Continued good luck to you.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2007, 04:04:19 PM »
14 month update - I mtn. bike, hike and gym regularly.  Tendonitis has not been an issue lately. My gym work includes IT band stretch and leg strength work.

I notice slight lingering pain only when I overdo bouncing or weighted squat like moves. Probably due to some meniscus being removed. My knee continues to improve and legs are strong.  ;D

15 month update - mtn. biking regularly the past few months, my most frequent exercise. I'm currently recovering from another episode of right knee patellar tendonitis. This time accompanied by left lower hamstring strain, and right upper calf strain. Likely due to overuse and not working my legs at the gym for a few weeks with increasingly strenuous mtn. bike hill climbing.  Back to RICE and gym basics. I've lost 10 pounds from consistent mtn. biking 2-3 evenings per week.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:35:31 AM by jb-knee-geek »

support