Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: maryann's TKR 9/18  (Read 29091 times)

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: maryann's TKR 9/18
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »
Geez, Donna! 95lbs? if Pierre hears about it, he'll probably make me try to do it! But I think Maryann is doing uni-lateral on her 35lbs, since she said just on the one side. I remember those, that was murder.

Maryann, glad you missed the snowstorm. take it easy with work, though. It's not really a surprise that the PT tells you more, she sees you for an hour at a time regularly and your OS sees you for, what?, 15 min occasionally?

Good luck with the eval!

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2008, 06:24:28 AM »
Yeah, my 95 lbs. is with both legs. I get help from the good one. But this is the highest I have gotten since this whole ordeal began. So glad you missed that snowstorm. I LOVE snow, but since this knee replacement, I am soooo afraid of falling. I am hoping this braced will help me get those few degrees of extension. Maybe will help with my limp. PT says I have been hurting and limping for so long (3 years) that some of the limping may be from being so used to doing it. Glad work went pretty well. I am going to check into getting some grants and doing some online schooling so that I can get an office job when I am released too. Actually, Rick thinks he can get me in the prison, doing office work for the state, which would be excellent. I just want to make sure that I have all the computer/office skills I need. Know what I mean?

Ha ha Judy! I wont tell Pierre about the leg press. What he doesnt know wont hurt him, right? Have you convinced him that candy bars are way better than those protein bars? ;) I know I need to watch what I am eating so that I dont gain any weight. Since I am almost weaned off the morphine, my appetite has come back in full force. So I need to watch. Once workmans comp gets me the YMCA pass, I will work in the pool, and also do extra time on the recumbant bike too, which Im sure will help.

Im sure you guys are sound asleep, like I should be. hehe. So, sleep well, and have a good Thursday....

DONNA :-*
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »
Hey Donna,

Limping is a really hard habit to break - even when you don't need it anymore. Gait-training is tough. I'd been limping for 2 years - on both sides (which pretty much means wobbling like a penguin)  :o ! I found that when I used my cane, I walked straight, but when I didn't (and I was supposed to give it up), I went back to old habits. I had to concentrate and actually pay attention to how I walked, to make sure I didn't penguin-walk. I'm much better now, but when I get tired...

On the leg press...  I have a big mouth. I was bragging about you, and how you're about 2 weeks newer on your revision than mine. So When he moved me over to the leg-press, I didn't realize he had already set it at 90lbs (he said I was doing 45 last week, no wonder it felt pretty easy)! the sneak. And then for my last set of 20, he snuck on an additional 10lb when I wasn't looking!! Pierre is a very sneaky man. But, I was able to do the 110, so I guess he's right as well (poor man: his wife has colon cancer that they're just starting to deal with, and there's already tiny spots in 2 other places).

We haven't discussed those nasty protein bars since that first week.  ::) I've been buying the Pria bars at Target - much cheaper (a box of 5 comes out to .80 ea or so), and they come in mint-chocolate. They do have some sugar in them, so he won't like them - but I'm keeping my big mouth shut on that! The pria bars are also 1/2 the size of his, so I also eat a hard boiled egg as well. I haven't had any trouble doing any of the work, so it must be ok.

Big news: we had snow today (no, that's not the news), about 3 inches or so. And for the first time in 2 years I did the shoveling!!! And I don't feel that I overdid anything, either, so Pierre must have me in pretty good shape. That's the back porch, the path out to the road on the side, along the side so we can get to the  car doors, up the length of the yard so he can get to the cellar door to twiddle with the heater, and the front walk and sidewalk. I'm so amazed! Ok, it was down to slush by the time I went out to do the front walk and sidewalk. but still.  ;D ;D ;D

-Judy
6/78 LR - LK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2008, 10:41:53 PM »
Maryann! I'm so sorry, I hijacked your thread!  ::)  :o I was scrolling down and saw the last couple of posts were mine that started with a comment to Donna and then her reply. So I confused myself. geez I'm getting old and feeble-minded.

So how did the re-eval go??

-Judy
6/78 LR - LK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2008, 01:49:55 AM »
Good for all of you on the leg press! I'm proud of you. And MaryAnn, it's a huge step that you're back at work. I'm glad it wasn't too painful for you!

I limped for about eight years. I had a lot of gait training and it was continually updated.  I worked really hard over the summer with a lot of walking and concentrating on how I was walking and it was so much better. But now I'm back in PT (for a continuing discomfort on the lateral side of my knee) and they are watching my gait again....and I thought I was walking perfectly!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline maryannhou

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2008, 03:35:35 AM »
not a problem judy went back to work and was suprised it was not bad at all am hoping it will help the recovry using the leg, however i was up all nite with cramps in my knee like every hour had to walk around,, but better than it was last month,, five more pt sessions and i am discharged. started a threadmill and a bunch of home exercises. my asthma finally is better still wheezing a bit but i can walk to the kitchen and not be out of breath
still limping alot the pt said i dont see it told her its my weight i am waddling she is like nooo i have to pay more attention
so all in all it is all good~ finally
lateral meniscus repair 1/12/07
TKR comming up 9/18/07
had tkr seeing OS 10\7

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2008, 03:43:14 AM »
Glad to hear work wasn't so bad for you. ouch on the leg cramps. In your knee? watch out if you get pain that doesn't go away in  your calf.

No... the waddling is our way of walking lazy - and with a limp. You don't 'have' to waddle, it just takes focus to stop. I know when I get tired I end up doing it, and I really hate it. We are not penguins!!!

-Judy
6/78 LR - LK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline maryannhou

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »
judy trying to concentrate and not waddle or limp but i dont see me doing it will work on that. she measured me and said while i was good at straight my rom is 107 which they are happy with  i see everyone here doing so much better i still dont kneel at mass practice that at home (( dont wanna let out a scream during service LOL)) the pain is still in my side of leg down my side bad enough that i had toleave yest to get meds that i forgot. dont take them if i am not working have to call a pain management was gonna forget that and just do without but not sure i can now. it feels so good to be at work than it compensates for the pains which realy are not crippling and a hell of alot better than this time last year so i am thinking time will take care of that.
we never got a any significant snow, which i really cant complain about. put all kinds of weights in the back of my car just in case LOL nothing like being ready left one of my canes inmy trunk too just in case.
thats it for me hope all is doing ok
maryann
lateral meniscus repair 1/12/07
TKR comming up 9/18/07
had tkr seeing OS 10\7

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
congrats on the 107! that's good. more will come. No, I wouldn't kneel at Mass yet either (if I were Catholic), but it will come back. You can practice a little just flexing your knee a bit on your bed (you can control the amount of pressure that way), just don't overdo.

I was thinking about the waddling problem. From talking with my PT and remembering my habits (and observing other folks), aside from limping out of pain, the main culprit tends to be that we get lazy (yes, me too) and don't pick up our feet very high. Hey, I've been known to fall off my feet when I'm barefoot! I don't dare try any sort of heel. It's so much easier to slightly move your feet and walk by shifting side to side; hey, when you're big, we got heavy legs. we're already weight lifting!

What my PT made me do was basically march around the room! if you pick your feet up abnormally high (certainly it feels that way to me) it's much easier to remain straighter. And sometimes the high stepping also helped with the stiffness in my knees as well. If I've been standing a lot during a massage session, I'll 'march' across my outer rooms when I got to unlock the door afterwards - no one can see me feeling silly, my client is still get dressed in the therapy room and the cats don't care. So, work on picking those feet up when you walk, and see how that helps.

-Judy
6/78 LR - LK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »
Hi Maryann and Judy,

Seems Maryann and I have the same flexion, I range between 95 and up a bit and have that pain you were describing down the side of the leg and around the back which has been frustrating me, I really bother my physio about when it is going to go, but I just have to keep stretching and trying to walk properly she said.  So I have been marching and stepping high and when I walk over exaggerate it. Looks funny but as Judy says thats what you have to do, LOL, I don't think I will ever stop waddling, got told I did that before this knee problem by two husbands. I always thought I walked normal.  It will be good to again but I know it will take time.

You sound like you are doing great, nice chatting the other day Maryann.

Take care and hugs,
Wyn
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

support