Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My OS appointment  (Read 553 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
My OS appointment
« on: August 15, 2006, 10:52:27 PM »
I saw my OS today instead of Friday when my appointment was because he wasn't going to be in that day. Anyway, he read the MRI report, which he said showed meniscus damage and a minor PCL tear. He wanted to see the original films, so asked the aide to bring them in. She brings in a set of films, and he looks through it, and says I see the meniscus damage, but not the PCL. So he's thinking he's going crazy because he should be able to read these films better than the radiologist, but doesn't see what the radiologist did. So then he's putting the films back in the envelope, and sees the films came from a different place, and were from December 2005 when I ahd the first one. So they went back to find the other ones, and could not find them anywhere. So my films seem to have disappeared. But he did promise to order them up again and look at them, and if there's anything much diff. than the radiologist report, he would call me.

He also told me that surgery for my meniscus is probably inevitable. He's sending me for more PT, and asked if I wanted to try more PT or have surgery. Personally, I would try the least invasive first, which is PT. He said if he were in my position, he would do the same. But he did warn me that the pain might just keep getting worse and in about a year or 2, I would probably want the surgery. But right now it's just wait and see how things go. I was cleared for all activity as long as I'm wearing a brace, which makes me really excited.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackie L

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: My OS appointment
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:02:12 PM »
I cannot be;ieve they lost the films - correction, I can believe they did.
Anyway, I am glad the doc cleared you for all activities, but please remember to do proper warm-up and cool down exercises and stretching to avoid / delay any further problems.

Good luck

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Re: My OS appointment
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:02:11 AM »
I couldn't believe it either, but hey, that's life, no? At least they had the report. The radiology place is actually in the basement of the orthopedist office (it's one of those medical suites where next door is an Ob/Gyn and across the hall a PT), so they don't need to go far to get the films. I actually thought it was kind of funny. My OS went to see 2 patients while they looked for them, so they told him they couldn't find them, he came back to my room and told me that they'll order a new set and call me if anything is different.

And I know all about the warm up/cool down. I do it all the time when I skate or play tennis or run because I've been doing these things for a while. Before I skate, especially if it's early in the morning and I drive to the further rink, I usually first walk a lap around the parking lot, then jog 2 laps, then a few jumping exercises to get my blood flowing, then I stretch usually for about 15-20 mins, sometimes more, never less. Then when I get on the ice, I have a whole warm up that I go through involving different stroking exercises and moves patterns before I start spinning and jumping.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/