Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Just got new DonJoy braces "Lateral J"  (Read 3385 times)

Offline amyrs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Just got new DonJoy braces "Lateral J"
« on: May 03, 2003, 01:03:40 AM »
A week ago today, unfortunately for both knees.  :(

I'm having a hard time getting them centred on my kneecaps.  My knees are sore to put pressure on them in the first place, so they seem to be doing more harm than good so far.  The only real difference I've noticed is that they are helping with the wobbly/weak feeling I have when I stand up from sitting.

When I'm sitting still while wearing them I can feel them both throbbing.  Is it possible for them to be TOO tight?  The orthotist made a point of making sure they didn't wrinkle in the back when I picked them up and tried them on, but I notice now they are quite wrinkled behind my knees, which made me wonder if they were too big!!

Can anyone shed some light here?  I've never had braces before so this is all new to me.  

Thanks!
Knee pain since 2001, braces, physio, taping didn't work, surgeon says its related to my other neurological problems!!

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
Re: Just got new DonJoy braces "Lateral J"
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 02:14:39 AM »
Hi,
I've had knee braces too. One was bigger than the other. I went back to where I got them and they ordered new parts. I would bring them back and explain your problems. They might take a little while to get used to, but they should be a better fit than yours are. Good luck. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
Re: Just got new DonJoy braces "Lateral J&quo
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 07:45:34 PM »
I agree that you should go back and and have it checked out, they wouldn't mind.
You could be doing more damage than good if its fitted the wrong way. Better to check it now instead of later.
Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline catwoman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Just got new DonJoy braces "Lateral J&
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 11:58:07 PM »
I have the same problem with the lateral J brace.  It really does feel pretty good when I walk but when I have been sitting for any period of time, my knee starts throbbing.  I find myself constantly pulling on the hole trying to keep it off my knee.  I've been working 4 hours a day (desk job) and I have to undo the velcro strap that goes across my kneecap immediately after I sit down.  Sometimes, I just roll the whole thing down below my knee... feels better but kind of a hassle when I need to get up for something!  It's also very scratchy, especially in the back where the seam is do you find that to be true with yours?  
Fell 02/07/03 dislocated kneecap and tore quad tendon.  Open knee surgery 02/12/03 to repair tear and remove bone fragment.

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 04:30:02 AM »
I have never used the donjoy J brace but I've heard a lot of bad and good about it so I guess it depends on the degree of patellar and joint surface damage and in what type of situations its used in.  Generally from what I've seen people like my cousin who need it only for say soccer practice and thus are in constant motion when using it are usually all right with it although my cousin did say it was on the uncomfortable side, hot, sweaty, and hard to get on and off.  For those of us who have patellar tracking problems and need to wear a brace all day I HIGHLY RECCOMEND the Breg Patellofemoral Tracking Orthosis (aka Breg PTO).  For me and many others it's been a wonderful brace and is incredibly comfortable to wear.  On bad days I'll even sleep in mine at night.  It comes in neoprene or in airmesh which is much cooler and comfortable and also has the closed or open back.  An open back, also what I have, is really comfortable as the area directly behind your knee where other braces cut in is an open circular whole so you can have your knee bent and still be comfortable.

In my opinion, its the best tracking brace out there.  And Breg's customer service is WONDERFUL to boot!

Just my experience

-rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Qwikset15

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 04:20:42 AM »
I've been wearing the Donjoy Lateral J braces for a while now, and I find that they can't be worn all day, they are more of an athletic brace. they make the knee all sweaty and in my experience, the knee has been sore and often swollen/ bruised after taking the brace off. I also find that the brace is horribly uncomfortable when i'm sitting down. How ever it still does it's job of keeping the patella from maltracking so the 'side effects' aren't so bad; Is the Breg PTO that much better?