Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain in back of knee following broken patella  (Read 1442 times)

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Pain in back of knee following broken patella
« on: August 09, 2006, 01:47:49 AM »
I am just curious.  I am 5 weeks out from ORIF to correct a vertical fracture of the patella.  I have struggled with ROM (I only am at 80 to 85 degrees), and now all of a sudden, I am having pain on the back of the knee joint.  It feels as if a muscle is being stretched and won't bounce back.  The pain is constant at this point whereas before it was intermittant.  I am still in a brace open to 110 degrees and walking without crutches.  I feel pretty stable, but the muscles are really tight.  My OS won't allow me into PT until after my follow up appointment on 8/24. 

Any ideas?
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline cagoodrow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pain in back of knee following broken patella
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 03:49:44 AM »
Hello, I was wondering how your knee turned out with ROM?

Offline nbrown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »
Hi,

I experienced the same pain. It went away when I reached a ROM of 102, now I only get it once in a while when I really work the leg hard. I'm at 115 now and I really hope to be at 120 before my next OS appointment in 2 weeks. It's a lot of work, a lot of pain...but don't give up! My knee is still swollen and hurts a lot right on top of the knee cap, but it's getting better, I put a lot of ice every night. Before I reached a ROM of 90 it felt like I had some kind of tape or glue on the skin of the leg right around the whole knee and it hurt when I stretched it...it got better. At night I still have problems when I move the pain right on the knee cap wakes me up and I'm hoping that goes away also, or get the hardware removed.

Nilsa

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:16:58 AM »
Wow, I had even forgotten about this post from almost 2 years ago.  Today, I have full ROM. I had the hardware removed at 6 months because it was catching in the muscle.  The pressure from increased movement caused a bakers cyst that eventually broke open on its own.  I found that with each step forward, I took a step back for awhile.  Today, other that the huge scar and difficulty going down a flight of stairs, for the most part, I can forget about my knees.  At 5 weeks post surgery, life was pretty much a struggle.  I hadn't had scar tissue ripping away yet, but it came later.

Once I finally got into PT, I learned the value of ice.  It was a saving grace.

Boy, those were some dark days.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline Dave 1825

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • You're not as old as I feel
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:25:07 AM »
I'm curious if you had the Bakers Cyst diagnosed and if so, what the recommendation was.  Did it burst on its own and as funny as it sounds, was that the plan?  I had a microfracture done on the femoral chondyle (I think I got that right).  No after effects, 18 weeks post op, rehab went well and I'm starting to run again.  No pain or discomfort at all from the microfracture but now I have wicked Bakers Cyst symptoms exactly as you described.  Wondering if it is something to work through or if draining and / or removal are options.  Also wondering if I can damage it further by continuing to run.  Realizing that you didn't have the letters M.D. after your name, I'm just looking for opinions.

Thanks,

Dave   
Meniscus repair / microfracture - left knee 1/17/2008

support