Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: AHH! Surgery Monday! Scope LR and open medial reefing.  (Read 1459 times)

Offline 3timeloser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
AHH! Surgery Monday! Scope LR and open medial reefing.
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:25:44 PM »
Hey,

Wow my surgery is already tommorow! I am so nervous! I still haven't decided between the general anestheia or an epidural / spinal. I'm having a lateral release(scope) and open medial reefing. Does anyone have any idea how long it may take to recover from that? School starts September 5th, exactly one month from now. Wow. Also, has anyone had the scope lr with medial reefing that would like to give some advice?  Please post.

;D <3Keegan

P.S. Wish me luck!

2 days...

Offline JSW82576

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: AHH! Surgery Monday! Scope LR and open medial reefing.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 03:42:07 PM »
Hi there, I had a very similar procedure to what you are getting ready to have.  I am 4 months post op from a LR and VMO and still in PT but I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, I was told that it will take me about 6 months to 1 year to be back to 100% but keep in mind, everyone is different.  I would venture that you will be getting around fairly well by the time school starts, you will be limbing and still sore after the first four weeks but hopefully off crutches.   I was off my crutches and full wait bearing 5 days after my surgery but again, everyone is different.  I also would do as many straight leg raises or any other exercise to keep your quad muscle strong, I don't know how bad your patella is but the key is to keep that quad on and working.  The most important thing to remember when you have bad days because there will be bad days, stay positive and keep in mind that you had surgery and your body needs time to heal.  Do lots of ice, stay on your meds for as long as you need them and keep it elevated as much as possible.  It's not a sprint to the finish line, it's a marathon or so my PT keeps telling me.  As for whether or not you want to be awake or under, I didn't have the option but I would much rather not hear, see or feel anything so I was happy to be under.  Just keep in mind, either way you decide to go, if you are going to be in pain so if the nurse asks you if you need pain meds, don't be a hero and take the meds.  The drive hime is a bit of a blur but the doctors would prefer to keep you almost pain free for the drive home b/c you will be moving your leg this way and that to get in and out of the car and they don't want you hurting to much before the novacain wears off from the operation.  I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.  IF you have any ?, please feel free to ask. :)

Jamie
Knee dislocation 2/04
Knee dislocation 2/05
Scope LR and open medial plication VMO 4/06

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 04:10:48 PM »
hiya
I had my surgery last monday,. i had a spinal as i didnt want to be knocked out not only that im a little overweight so didnt want to increase the risk.
it was great they gave me sedation, the only problem is i had to stay in hospital for a bit longer overnight cause i couldnt feel my legs

good luck i am sure everything will go well for you
xxtegs
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT
INNJECTIONS INTO THE JOINT

Offline TEGS77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 12:16:17 AM »
how did it all go??
hope it went well xx
ARTHROSCOPIE MENISECTOMY
DEBRIBEMENT
INNJECTIONS INTO THE JOINT

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:22 AM »
Hey,

This is late, but I hope the surgery went well! I had the same thing done back in December. I was on crutches and in an immobilizer NWB for a month. Then in the immobilizer and on crutches WBAT for two weeks. In total, I was in an immobilizer for two months and on crutches for two months, but not two months straight. When I came out of the immobilizer my quad was extremely weak, so I could barely walk. I wouldn't expect that to happen to you because I've had 3 knee surgeries within 13 months so my quad wasn't really there to begin with. Also, all doctors have different protocols, so yours may be different.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

support