Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Zimmer Knee - Gender solutions - DEC 6 2006  (Read 75979 times)

knee deep in Goo

Zimmer Knee - Gender solutions - DEC 6 2006
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »
Well just came back from the OS and I have done everything that I could do to live a pain free life.  I knew this was coming.  So my next appointment is on Sept 11.  I know I am going to get a Gender Solution Girlie Knee in October.  It is going to be a total knee replacement.   4 Days in Hospital and 10 days in an Acute or Subacute care facility.

Also as a side note,  I managed to pull a hamstring muscle in my left leg and obtained a heel spur in my left foot.  I got a cortizone shot in my heel today.

I got a list of Acute and subAcute care spots. Want to check them out with my Insurance.  Thats all I can think of now.  Was pretty scared today waiting in the OS' office alone. But feel its for the better. Since my father seems so negative about a knee replacement.  Sure there are risks.

I held a  prostetic knee in my hand today. Pretty heavy. Ofcourse it was not the zimmer knee but my doctor showed me the spots where the knee would be better for woman.  He said that I could get 30 years out of this knee.  Pretty promising.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:07:30 PM by knee deep in Goo »

Offline mmaxell

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • When one loves an animal part of the Soul awakens.
    • Infinite Blessings Ministries
Re: I'm Gonna Get a New Knee In October ( Zimmer for Women)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:44:26 PM »
HI - I'm getting a new knee in October, too (10/17).  I just saw my OS on Monday for a cortisone injection in each knee and discussed the Zimmer Gender Specific knee.  He said he was 'installing' his first one the next day!  He said they're really not that different, just a little smaller than the ones that they had been making.  Trying to get into a new market, targeting women  ;-) 

Don't mean to burst your balloon, but I'm afraid 30 years is a trifle optimistic - did your OS tell you that??  I'm 50 and I'll be happy with a good 20 years and think that may be over optimistic!!

My OS does One TKR on a Tuesday and I expect to be released on Friday!!  I have my Sweetie to help care for me so I'm expecting to come home.  Do you live alone that you are researching Rehab Facilities??    I'm trusting that the first one will go well enough that I can have the 2nd one done 8 weeks later (well maybe 12, but I'm aiming for 8 ;-) 

Take care - see you later at the HH list ;-)  Melanie in PA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/House_of_Hens/

Ten Years OA Both Knees
3 Years+ Bone on Bone (Medial) Both Knees
TKR Left Knee 10/17/06 ~ TKR Right Knee 02/06/07

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
Melanie,
Make it 12 weeks at least in between ops, I had my right TKR on 3rd May and having my left done on 9th August (Wednesday), and I'm just at the right stage with recovery from my right to be able to get the left done. I will be 14 weeks post 1st TKR when I have the second one done.
Best wishes and good luck to you both for October.
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »
Hi Mel,
Well he said 20 to 30 years. Being optimistic by the time I need a revision something else will come on the market.  My went over the nitty gritty on the knee and how it is custom fitted for a woman.  I just got off the phone with my insurance company and they will cover acute care . Kessler in West Orange NJ.  Kessler in East Orange NJ and Kessler at Saddle Brook NJ.

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:10:15 PM »
Goo,

I'm happy for you. I really hope this knee does everything you need and that it really makes a difference in your life. You deserve it.

Meg

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:27:17 PM »
Hey Goo
Fab news! - and a girlie one!

The time will come round very quickly! -

Fathers will always worry!

take care
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline jzzlvr13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
I'm up October 12 for my second TKR, after three femoral osteotomies. The first went pretty well, considering it was a six hour "complex" replacement....and I did the same thing. I went on a ten day vacation, climbed stairs to the bedroom for the first time in ten years and pulled every, it seems, muscle in the top of my good leg. I'm now on a crutch trying to give the muscles a rest so they can calm down and not kill me when I put weight on it Girls,it's always something...and remember....growing old....not for the feint hearted!
b
59yo...osteo both knees
femoral osteotomy right leg 2002
femoral osteotomy left leg 2003
straight legs...blown right knee
TKR in future..how near..who knows???
But will keep on keepin' on

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 02:15:03 AM »
Hey Knee Deep,
You sure got more than a "pep talk" from your OS.  I'm also getting a Zimmer Gender Specific Knee, as soon as i can schedule the surgery.  My OS also recommends inhouse PT after surgery - he says you get the best results that way. That's fantastic news!   Now you hav a plan of attack, so to speak.  How was your trip to Texas?   8)
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline Jo-knee

• Regular Poster
  • I will not give up.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 04:31:32 AM »
Good luck!  I hope things go great for you.  Here's to the end of a long road of pain!  (Is it pink?) ;D

Joanie
Gotta love that ice!  10/05 lat menisectomy, microfracture to 2 medial femoral defects.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 02:52:03 PM »
Thanks Everyone for the well wishes!! Yesterday was pretty emotional for me. I think I was the most upset when calling the Insurance company asking about the acute care facilities.  The rep on the line said Is it for me? I guess deep down going to a nursing home does not put me in a good state emotionally.  Hell I am 36.   Ok so this is growth and facing fears and all that .

I just keep thinking.  The Lame will walk again.  Although I do not consider myself Lame.  IYKWIM

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 04:30:32 PM »
 Hi Goo,

Cool!  I Hope that everything goes well.  My TKRs were the best thing I ever did for myself.

The time will fly, October is right around the corner.

Best of luck.

Melanie,  I had a text book recovery and could have done the second at 8 weeks (maybe) but 14 weeks was great, I had a little more time to develop stegnth in both legs prior to the second op.

Hugs

Rozzzie

OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline jzzlvr13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 05:56:30 PM »
If you have any help at home and can sleep near your bathroom, you probably wouldn't need a rehab facility. Remember, although you are on crutches, you can bear full weight on your new knee. I only used one crutch almost as soon as I got home and could roam the house at will. My osteotomies were much more limiting (and painful.)
b
59yo...osteo both knees
femoral osteotomy right leg 2002
femoral osteotomy left leg 2003
straight legs...blown right knee
TKR in future..how near..who knows???
But will keep on keepin' on

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 06:20:14 PM »
Rozzie - from what you say - is it safe for me to assume that between 4 and 8 weeks there is a great deal of improvement - feel at a bit of a standstill at the moment.
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 11:21:49 PM »
YES!  I was able to go back to the gum at 6 weeks and did so.  Started with 5 min on the elliptical  ;D adding 1 min per session if I felt up to it.  I also did LOTS of sled leg presses.  ;D ;D  They are great for adding strength and keeping flexion.

Anja,  You are doing great!  To you it seems slow, but believe me you are doing well!! ;D ;D

HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 08:43:29 AM »
Hi Knee Deep,
I've had the same reaction when calling skilled nursing facilities and I'm 53.  It totally freaked my out at first, but then realized that if it helps then i will somehow get through it.  Some of the SNF's have separate areas for the short term rehabers.  They all offered tours, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.  One of the things my OS explained to me in my case, was the more surgeries you've had the more pain you could have after & a SKF can administer pain meds stronger than just in pill form.  But  as a general rule, my OS suggests that all of his patients go to inpatient rehap if their insurance will pay - mine will only pay for SKF - he believes that you get a great start in your rehab.  Sounds like your OS agrees, but you may do so well, that he may just tell you to skip it, but you will have been prepared.
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

support