Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Zimmer Knee - Gender solutions - DEC 6 2006  (Read 76730 times)

knee deep in Goo

Re: I'm Gonna Get a New Knee In October ( Zimmer for Women)
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 07:07:26 PM »
Don't know what I was thinking but I went camping.
 It was kind of weird. I couldnt walk to the bathrooms I had to ride my bike.  I did do alot of bike riding .  One of the few sports/activities that is good for the knee.    Damage report. several bug bites. one hurt wrist and elbow (had a little bike accident)  (unloader brace saved me from cutting up my leg. ) leg was stiff in morning due to rain over night. I did lay out in the sun and  people watched (canoes and tubing)  Had big time water envy.  Waling to truck and campsite -  hard at first but found my way

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 07:32:45 PM »
hey LOL Goo - good for you! bet it was great fun - I am amazed you can ride a bike with your knee - that is something I just could not do before my op - sooo frustrating - hey but I can now!! hee hee

Bug Bites - hate them.

did you enjoy it in the end? - and when you going next!? mad woman!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006, 09:57:40 PM »
Good for you Goo, I'm not a camping kind of girl, but I applaud you!!!!!

I'm with Anja, absolutely can't ride.  Looking forward to the time when my hubbie & I (and the dog) can ride our double bike again.
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2006, 01:07:34 AM »
oh boy.  How does one tactfully deal with someone who fears that you are making the wrong decision with a knee replacment. ???    I suppose there is no tactful way but to be solid in ones conviction that it will be the best thing for me.  Do you know how mentally frustrating it is to be subjected to  Uncles and friends of family .. that grill me on the treatment options I had done during the year.  I mean come on..  This ambush attack of elderly people phone calling me  has to stop.      I mean I had to sit alone in the doctors offices.. and confront the pain and sadness.  Do they know the non support is rather draining on me. ?   

I read somewhere the standard for a replacement is .. How far can you walk ? I can tell you I can barely walk a block with out pain.  I can barely manage walking to the ladies room with out pain . 

An elderly lady at work told me today... That when I picked up the phone I sounded so happy and cheerful that if she had not seen with her own eyes the pain on my face and me trying to hide it .. she would never believe it.   

How about a nice walk outside.?   Cant do it.   Sure I can bike ride .. and it feels wonderful .. but if I fall off again.  Would I be able to walk my ass home..  NO.  Life is weird.   Last week on vacation it was warm and wonderful and I felt I could do so much.. This week the mean rain has gotten me and I am pissed off that  I feel under emotional attack that I am making the wrong decision. 

I want to be rebuilt.   Faster stronger able to leap small puddles in a single bound.     I often think back to last october when I started to use heating pads.  Last Nov when I  started Physical therapy.  My goal was to get up the long path to work.   I guess it was sometime in May that a fire drill .. brought my fears and pain levels up to accomplishing it.    July brought a pulled ham string on my good leg.  a shot in my heel on my good leg. Sure my doctor and I have worked hard to get me to this point six months of physical therapy..    I think I am more flexible than most people on this board right now.   Yet the one thing I do not have is stabiltiy in my leg.  the Vargas./valgus.. I forget which .. is really hurting me more...  the more I stay this way .. the more harm i do to my hips. the more I do to my other leg.

I think .. that perhaps being so young ..  many people do not have the perspective of seeing a parent worry about a child.  And I am one of five children but I am the only daughter.  I think an unplanned pregnacy would be taken far better than a knee replacement right now.   Ok so I have to stand my ground and perhaps  just keep in mind to myself.. Its my pain my body .. my future.   This is where you yes people to death.   I think it might be good to have my dad perspective while I start this.. I will just focus on being so irrate at him. instead of an emotional wreck.. I mean..   Sure everyone normal would have anxiety during all this.  Right now my one brother said . he didnt want to give blood .. I am like fine.  ...   i am doing this for me anyway..

anne

Offline Jo-knee

• Regular Poster
  • I will not give up.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 06:14:20 AM »
Goo,

Amen girl!  I'm so sorry for your pain and frustration, and so thankful for the endless support you have given people here.  Do what ya gotta do.

Joanie
Gotta love that ice!  10/05 lat menisectomy, microfracture to 2 medial femoral defects.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
Hey anne

There is no way that your OS is gonna give you a new knee if you don't need it.

Only you know what pain you are in and all the people who are suddenly coming out of the woodwork with their opinions maybe shoud have been there giving you more help rather than trying to advise on something they know nothing about,

Not being able to walk and the pain you are suffering is not giving you any quality of life - and yeah you are young - but surely that means you need to get your life back - I too am young for this op and realise that when I am older prob about 65 that they won't be  able to do anymore for me but I won't need to be rushing around so much then - I would much rather have my life back now - already I am in the gym 6 weeks on doing stuff I haven't been able to do for years - that feels sooo good - yeah it still hurts but I know with time that is going to go - before my op it was there forever and getting worse!

I don't think you would be where you are now waiting for this op if you didn't need it - we all had second thoughts nearer the time as well - you suddenly get a couple of good days and wonder if you are doing the right thing..................and then a real baddie comes along again- and you do know!

So Ignore the people who suddenly want to be involved - actually no don't - use them in your recovery ;D - make em work hard for you!!!

We are all her for ya! ;D ;D ;D
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2006, 04:48:23 PM »
Just did a hour on the yoga ball.  I feel so strong.  but reality sets in when I try to walk.  Been thinking about the word teflon alot lately.  Letting things just slide off me.  Thing that is binding me right now is .. what my OS said.  To fix you up before you get depressed.   You are so right Anja. The OS would put the breaks on it if it was not right for me.  Case in point .  I needed my handicapped parking tag renewed.  He said.  I would not need a perm one.  :)   So maybe this is a life lesson on what its like to have experienced loss of mobility and the inspiration and desire to overcome.

I read before someone who had obi plugs and oats and it failed for them.  I think having one failed surgery after the next would send any one down a deep cavern of depression.  Months ago my next door neighbor said to me.  Why do you want band aid after band aid surgeries ?  She worked for Stryker when they had ben howmedica.  Marketing department and  said she had interviewed  many a TKR recpient.  Her support has ment alot.   She mentioned she had seen studies on 50 years these implants may last if the cement doesnt come loose.   My doctor mentioned 20 to 30 years.  I think deep down .. They just do not have staticial back up. 

one thing that did piss me off this morning is my dad saying .. Perhaps the old fashion knees are stronger.  The guy kind.  The girl kind might not be as strong.   How can you tell your father he is an idiot and that the curve of the metal is designed for a womens bones and not the strength.   You see this is where I say . I cant go and educate people.  I do not have to defend my medical decisions.   I have offered several times for my Dad to sit and hear at the same time as me.  Hell I even signed out my xrays  for the na sayers to have a look.

believe me I am well aware of what this operation means and sometimes it frightens the crap out of me.   fear should not make you walk away from something that can be good for you .  Support can only help the fear be heard and put into a place that is healthy.   

Well the good news is that I am sure that my recovery will be supported.  Just the moments that lead up to the surgery are mind numbing.    Its really weird that everyone's knees are different prior to going into a TKR.  Right now I think I am just an expert on hopping.

I have full range of motion. When i stand my right leg is in a bent state and slanting.  Hell I think if I could stand straight and balance and weight load properly..   I would not be singing the TKR song.

Ok .. so while working out there is this tv show on bravo called work out.    I noticed the trainer had a few people go up the stairs side ways. Sometimes mixing it up by telling them to step up over one step.   Sounds easy right ?   Perhaps I should not try to fall down the stairs .. what a wimp right.

Oh another thing I asked for a journal for my hospital stay.  Omg You would have thought I was asking to be committed to a mental hospital.   A journal .. for what... Well to just write about my feelings and experience. .. Why would I want to remember it ?  I was asked.   

I think there is a cleansing effect that goes on when you just write down what troubles you.

I mean in the big picture of life.. So I have a crap knee and that really is my only heartache at the moment.   Not too shabby.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2006, 05:31:32 PM »
hey goo

I took a note book to hospital with me and wrote down what was happening and when and what my feelings were - fab to look back on and it really shows what great progress you are makeing.

hey - tell your dad he's an idiot! and to be grateful that he is not in the same position as you! - silly old bugger - prob in denial that his little girl is hurting so bad!

You go ahead and get it done and three months down the line he will see why you had to have it !

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »
Goo,
Our families and especially our parents love us, but that doesn't always mean that they understand us.  Especially dads...mine is rather old fashioned (and into men are stronger than women) and the type that never reveals his feelings, so a journal would be a ridiculous thing to him, as would this website.  I learned a long time ago, that the less I share with the parents, the better, also, the less they worry.  And I confide in my friends instead.

If I remember correctly, your OS is at the Hospital for Special Surgery - a very reputable place, with doctors with the best reputations.  Anja is right, your OS would not even suggest a TKR unless he felt it was the only way to go.
As for your 2nd guessing - it is totally normal from every single thread I have read on this site, everyone goes through it.  My knee doesn't seem anywhere nearly as bad as yours, yet it has effected my daily life enough that my doctor & I think it's the way to go - and when I have a good day, doubt does cross my mind.

We are all here for you and will try to give you all the support you need.  Try to let the teflon work by letting negative comments just slide off of you.

Take care,
Bonnie
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »
Actually I will have my TKR in St Joseph's trauma center in Patterson, NJ. 

The waiting for the OS appointment is killing me.  Just give me the date already.   10 days.  Till I see my doctor.

I was driving to work today and there is this song that is called  Had a bad day.   It was my theme song post op in Jan.  When I felt like oh god..   It really cheered me up.   Anyway today driving to work I heard it.. and now feel so emotional and feel like I can cry..but not going too..   That bathroom may be 100 feet away..  but I today I wish I had my sticks with me.

Funny my boss is emotional today too.   She went shopping ..  I was ready to give her my bath and body work coupon for a free thing when she said .. oh you arent going to ask me to pick something up.  I said no...  and than read.. oh .. you wouldnt be able to use it today since it starts on the fourth.    So much for being nice.

Now I am thinking better I keep it and get some nice body lotion for after surgery.  I can use the coupon online.

So today is the start of a long weekend.  I get out of work at 3 today.  YIPPY

So did you know Next week is "NATIONAL PAYROLL WEEK" ?     

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2006, 03:51:02 AM »
I can understand how the waiting is frustrating.  I think that you should keep whatever you can for yourself right now. You need to come first for a while, without being mean, sometimes selfish is okay.
It's almost 9 days away.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »
Goo,
Was re-reading the literature for the Zimmer Gender Solutions High Flex knee when I couldn't fall asleep last night and realized that this prosthetic is able to bend 155 degrees.  I guess I read this before, but I got it this time and it made me very happy since I have ability to bend all the way back now and feared I would loose a lot of it.
How about you?

PS - Any objections to telling us your name?

Take Care,
Bonnie
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2006, 03:47:52 PM »
Hi Bon

No Objections to my using my name .. It is Anne.

The zimmer knee has the design that will contour our bones better and still provide an excellent range of motion.  Infact before I knew what I was exactly getting.  I surfed the net and went to the styker site.  I think they make the scopion knee and the zimmer site to poke around.   My doctor told me back in April to hold out as long as I could because a new knee was coming out on the market.  That is the Zimmer for women we now know and a new spacer.  And he would also project oh it will at least two years..  .. until he tried everything..  than i'd say back in july the tune changed. to bite the bullet.. lets seriously talk about getting your life back to normal. No more limping..  Lets do it before any depression hits you.  I think what tilted the scale was .. how I was able  to handle a fire drill. Getting out of a building.  I mean i told him i woud get stiff after sitting. When I stood up I felt like I had to get myself planted. I would feel these ice pick pains.  ( the orthovisc really helped)

See I been having small knee chats with my doctor since Jan. after my operation.   At first. I didnt want to hear anything about surgery. The whole experience of getting better from my first surgery was my top priority. Than I started to come around to it and started to read postings on this site.  Very overwhelming at first.  I sit and find technical documents and just cry. It really hit me at the core. That I was to have one of these procedures. HTO or Pkr or TKR but as I read more..  I began to understand why I was not a canidate for an HTO or PKR.  ( I had three compartments with OA)  ACI  very new very unsure .. Didnt want another failure and just be a puppet of surgery.   Also my next door neighbor worked for stryker in the marketing department and said..something very practical to me.  Why keep doing surgery after surgery when these knees will last a very long time once done.    Now mind you  I am only 36   . I have heard that these knees last a very long time .

I never expected this .. at all.  I went in for a small posterior horn tear that showed up on my mri.    If you click on my User info >. I uploaded my scope and xrays to a photobucket link.   I think I know the exact moment my joint collapsed. 

Someone posted the word grief  many months ago and it helped me understand and allow myself to put a feeling to the emotions I had.   At times my younger brother would see me cry out of the blue and say . why are you crying.  I would have these temper trantrums when I couldnt get my bathing suit in the cellar. So i had anger.  Acceptance came when I crutched my way into work and had to accept offers of help. 

when people saw me cructching around faster they thought I was getting better.  Little did they know my arms where getting stronger.  When I transitioned to a cane it was pure hell. and went back to the crutches fast.    the orthovisc shots got me off the cane and crutches..  the unloader brace really  to me now is just a big sign of.. I walk slow becasue my knee is messed up.  keep clear.. unless you want to pick me off the ground.

Rainy days really are insane now for me. Pain levels are really out there.   I think I have talked my father going to this OS doctor visit with me . I know my mom wont.  She has a bad knee as well and feels if the doctor sees her .. he will force her to get a TKR she doesnt want.   I say to her.. wouldnt you like to at  better  pain control.   ??  but I only say that she is old school "polish" /  i guess she can live with her limitations and I see her back hurt and knee hurt.  You can only tell someone to go see a doctor.. They do not have to take your advice.

So to recap..  Yes, This Zimmer knee looks like it is very high end .. top of the line stuff.   So bon are you getting your right knee or left knee done ?

Mine will be my right knee

Regards
Anne

knee deep in Goo

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2006, 04:46:16 PM »
Anne (so much nicer to know your name),
It is my left knee.

That's great that your Dad will go with you to your appt on the 11th for 2 reasons, one to reassure himself that the OS is competent (of course he is, but Dad needs reassurance) and also for moral support for you.  It is a tramatic moment when it becomes a reality, even when you are expecting it.  As for your Mom, she has her own issues regarding her own knee, so it kinda makes sense that she can't deal with your knee problems.  Try not to take it personally and just do what you know you have to do.

Anne, it sounds to me like the only thing to do is go forward with the TKR - you are way too young and are missing out way to much, and that's without even discussing your level of pain.

My knee is not as bad as yours even though I've had 7 surgeries, but I'm so tired of my limitations and the pain.  I'm only 53 and if I hurry, I can make up for lost time before I get too old or afraid.

Your OS sounds like a smart man, aside from his surgical skills.  He understands your age, limitations, pain and emotional state.  You are in good hands.

We're having rain here too - sucks!
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR