Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Zimmer Knee - Gender solutions - DEC 6 2006  (Read 79520 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: I'm Gonna Get a New Knee In October ( Zimmer for Women)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 04:12:32 PM »
Thanks Rozzie

def going to the gym to sort out the membership this week - such a pain as I haven't been for over a year - just because I couln't because of my knee - I have to do the induction again (waste of money really - and time waiting for the appointment!)

anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »
Goo,
looks like we may be having surgery around the same time.  10/10/06 for me.
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 09:28:58 PM »
Hey thanks Rozzie - I expect you have these doubts like me sometimes and have support from someone just ahead of you in the rehab stakes - it's great helping each other.

I like the leg presses the best.
anja
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 05:44:20 PM »
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n69/AnneHelene/

someone please tell me that my knee doesnt look that bad.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 07:42:08 PM »
erm hello? if it wasn't bad you wouldn't be getting a new knee!!!!!!

actually those pics mean nothing to me - I never had the chance to see mine or have them explained !

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 08:09:50 PM »
Goo,

Arthritis is really funny; the amount of pain has little to do with the amount of arthritis.  ??? 
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 08:29:40 PM »
Your telling me.. I bet that I would have been able to go on for years and years if the darn posterior horn didnt cause so much pain and had the OS poke in.   

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 04:52:27 AM »
Going to the dentist tomorrow and having my teeth checked out.   My gum is hurting I been grinding my teeth.  I think this week has been one of the most pain free weeks of this year so far.  often makes me wonder if it will last.  Also I am going to do some camping .. Believe it or not..  What am I thinking .. 

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 09:10:41 AM »
Hey Rozzie you are right about the arthritis and pain ratio - apparently my knee was incredibly bad and should not have been able to walk on it - yet I didn't even use a stick and not a huge amount of painkillers- so I think I was lucky really.

Goo - I used to love camping, we took the kids every summer - we are now 'posh campers' and use a caravan!! ;D

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 03:22:32 PM »
This sounds so good and so very interesting, I am so glad you are taking agressive measures to get your life back. You are just too young to be living in pain the way you are. I don't know of a single person who regretting their TKR. I see them at my gym and used to see them at PT and they could probably kick my butt! I'll be saying a prayer for you and sending positive vibes your way!  ;D
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 01:38:45 AM »
OK had my marathon dentist visit today..   I hate the x-rays and the cleannings.  The dentist drilled down the pointy part of my tooth that has been digging into my gum and put in a new filling that now covers the part that I had chipped off. Thank god no root canal.   

So the hygenist and dentist asked me if I knew I would have to have antibodics prior to any dental procedure after the TKR.  My OS told me that after the TKR - I would have to have antibodics for two years.  hygenist said that most OS's do not tell patients this. Frankly with all my reading and stuff I asked my OS about my teeth ect

So this is the part that I found odd.  The dentist said I would have to ask the OS what antibodic he wants me to take.  That felt kinda strange that the dentist was hands off. However,  I think my dentist is a ding bat anyway.  I hate going to the dentist.  Dentists are evil

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 01:54:56 AM »
Goo,  There are soooo many antibiotics and different OSs want you to have different ones.  My OS gave me a sheet with different procedures and the various antibiotics that can be used, I listed it in  TKR and Prophylactic antibiotics   http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=27305.0

It's always best to check with your OS so you take his prefered antibiotic,

HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 02:37:27 AM »
Thanks Rozzie,   I am printing the post. However, you would think the dentist would be able to assess a patient and the special needs.  Now looking at the post.  I remember when you posted it.  When the time comes I will also ask my OS.  I do not have to see the mean dentist for another six months. 

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 08:25:30 AM »
Hi Goo and Rozzie

I asked my dentist about the antibiotics before treatment and he said that they do not use them - the dental nurse has a TKR and said that she never has them.  I was suprised by this and will see what my OS says when I go back for my post op appt on 31 aug. Personally I would prefer to have them - just in case.

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
I went to 3 different OS's & they had 3 different recommendations as to antibiotics!  The first one (The OS that did 5 of my 7 surgeries) said I would take antibiotics for the rest of my life.  The 2nd opinion said that he didn't believe it was necessary at all.  The OS I'm using said for the first 5 years.  And my dentist - she's never treated anyone who had a TKR & said she would have to research!!! So there you go, 4 different answers - maybe I need to change dentists ?

In my case, it doesn't really matter, because I must be premedicated for any non-sterile procedure (i.e. dental work, colonoscopy, etc.) because I have a mitral valve prolapse (a valve in my heart closes funny, which may allow a back flow of blood, which if infected could be dangerous).  The prolapse it not serious in any way and the only problem to me is palpitations from time to time.

But what I take is four 500mg amoxicillin one hour prior to dental work, which the OS said would be fine to continue.  For any other procedures they alway administer intravenously, so I'm not sure of the dosage.

So I guess there is not a generally accepted practice for this, but if you feel it necessary, I'm sure your OS will work with you if you insist.
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

support