Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR Info Needed  (Read 2980 times)

Offline renegaderob18

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR Info Needed
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:52:47 AM »
I will be 35 in less then 2 weeks and am facing TKR by Jan or Feb 2013. I will see the doc to get the surgery date and to let him know that I have decided to go ahead with the surgery. The reason I have elected for the surgery is we have tried everything from PT, to artho surgeries to clean it up, to shots, to rest, etc. Via the recent MRI It showed bone on bone and then pain has been getting worse and the knee is feeling more unstable and I am able to do less each week. I always use a knee brace and a day or two a week use my crutches. My questions are as follows. How long was your average hospital stay? How long were you using a walker and then a cane or crutches? How long is it usually before you can go out and kick a ball around with the kids or chase down a baseball with them? Is there a higher chance since it is bone on bone already, still swelled up, the unstableness, and especially with the knee not tracking correctly is it easier to tear a ligament or muscle? Any info on this or anything else useful would be greatful so I can ask the doc my next visit and know everything from A to Z after the surgery. I know each person recovery is different, which is why I am hoping for as many responces as I can get on everything you can think of especially if it's easy to tear something with the knee cap maltracking, be swelled up, unstableness and the bone on bone.

Offline wanna

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: TKR Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
I had my first TKR at the ago 43 so understand a bit about having one at an early age.

You are correct that not only is everyone's recovery is different, but also different Docs, hospitals and even countries have different procedures.

Your reference to a baseball tells me you are quite probably from the  US! - probably very different to mine in the UK.

When mine was done I was in hospital a week, although mine was a bit more complicated than average. some patients were out in 3-4 days.
I was only on a walker 1 day in hospital and then on crutches at home for about 2 weeks. I was offered a stick instead of the crutches after the walker, but preferred the stability of crutches.
I was probably only on 2 crutches for a week or so, and then down to one crutch for another week or two maximum (rather than a stick).

I was walking and able to do most things 3 weeks post Op and back to work in 6 weeks. Still not fully recovered 100% but good enough to drive, travel to work and do an office based job.

If I'm honest I didn't have much 'proper pain' at all post 2 weeks after the Op. discomfort certainly but not pain that really hurt.

What I would stress however, that is my experience. I read many posts on here about people with pain and on meds for months after their op date, other complications, and many who say they were unable to work months after the Op. Again that never happened to me.

I would expect at your age, you have young muscles to recover much quicker than someone post 60 years plus. (One to ask your Doc)

You only really hear about the problem cases on here which probably amounts to a very low percentage of all TKR's. We all know many people who have had no problems whatsoever.

Not really sure about the chances of a ligament or muscle tear due to your problems. I would suggest post Op, you probably would have very few problems at all - maltracking etc will be sorted.
Before you get to the Op, logic would suggest that there would be a greater risk, however my personal opinion would be that this would be very low. (Again MY opinion - not a medical one)

I won't bore you with my problems (more to do with other knee ops not the TKR) but I had bone on bone, had actually snapped my crusciate ligament & at numerous times needed crutches to move at at all - I never tore or snapped anything else.
This also included a number of awful falls where the whole lot gave way and I ended up in a pile in massive pain and unable to move at all for minutes. In fact on one occasion I fell in a bedroom and could only crawl onto the bed after 20 mins. Even though I could hardly move, I hadn't torn or permanently damaged anything.

Your age should determine that your recovery should be quicker and less complicated than many who post on here. Many older people have other health complications that affect their recovery. I stress my experience - may be very different with others!

Andy
82-carbon fibre Ligament construction
04/04- synovectomy after ACL snap
09/04- TKR
02/05- TKR revision
07/05 & 09/05 Joint out then Revision TKR
05/07 Revision TKR.
12/07 joint out Stge 1 revison,Stge 2 revision 03/08
08/09 Revision TKR
05/12 Quads Y plasty, scar removal & straight cast for 6 wk

Offline renegaderob18

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I do have a new question along with the other questions already posted. My question is has anyone had there foot go to sleep while waiting for the TKR surgery? I am not sure why it started falling asleep, but it does it for 5-10 minutes out of nowhere and then I can start moving it. At that time the knee seems a little more painful as well. Could this be because something is now getting pinched off depending witch way I move my leg or could it because i am getting more water on the knee or because the knee may be even more out of alignment at times? It is just worrying me cause I don't wanna be driving and it falls alseep since its my right knee.

Offline wanna

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
Short answer from me regarding this is no, I've never had my foot 'fall asleep'.

I'm not sure what 'a foot falling asleep' is?

If it's totally numb, I would presume there is a nerve trapped somewhere. Definitely one for your Doc
82-carbon fibre Ligament construction
04/04- synovectomy after ACL snap
09/04- TKR
02/05- TKR revision
07/05 & 09/05 Joint out then Revision TKR
05/07 Revision TKR.
12/07 joint out Stge 1 revison,Stge 2 revision 03/08
08/09 Revision TKR
05/12 Quads Y plasty, scar removal & straight cast for 6 wk

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 02:21:05 AM »
Rob great idea knowing all you can know. This is a great site for finding answers. I hope you have read the diaries kept by others.
Again, there is no way to give you a definitive answer to your questions. You can even watch the whole thing on Utube. But be prepared to see what you see.

I was in the hospital two nights. I was realeased a day early. Doing well. Three days is normal. I .was walking with a cane from day one. Only about a week. I think I was a little earlier than most on that. Sometimes, in the next few months with lots of walking I would pull it out.  It was my right leg sto didnt drive till after stiches out. I can not answer about running kicking. Early injury to tibia kept me from doing those things already. I know of a gym teacher who was running some down the side lines after 3 months. WOW.

One thing I would do. If you have a choice of places for PT--go do interviews. You want a PT who has a Masters Degree in PT. Also, not brand new. Even though it might be uncomfortable, try hard to increase your quad strength. That will make a difference in your recovery.

There are many strings on this site about people your age or abouts having tkrs--with great outcomes. Hope you will take the time to find them and read them.  Also, some educational articles about the surgery and recovery.

On knee geeks you will find a number of people looking for help that already have a problem but there are alot of success stories. I am in contact right now with someone from this site who posted yesterday. She is doing great after 6 years. She said yesterday that having the surgery was the best thing she has done.
Again, read, read, read. There will be surprises no matter how much you prepare. Its the nature of the beast.

Luck,
Wonder Woman
tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0