Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: GAV'S POST OP DIARY (Day 2)  (Read 10989 times)

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • the4pages
GAV'S POST OP DIARY (Day 2)
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »
Well, I'm now home. Went into hospital 12:30 3rd August to find I was 4th on the list (due about 16:30)

Wasn't too nervious, just apprehensive. The easy part is lying on a bed and being put to sleep - the hard part I thought would be afterwards. I think I'm right about that.

Op finally happened at 18:00 hrs and was back in my room at 21:00 hrs. Woke up in recovery with a large blue splint which goes from half way down my calf to half way up my thigh. This has to be worn day and night for two weeks!

Pain is more of a dull ache, particularly around the hamstring harvest site - need to be careful that I don't use up all my allowance of hefty pain killers too early in the day.

4 August

Have a nice new pair of crutches to use, so that once I'm able to walk upstgairs with them, I can go home.

Ruth comes to pick me up - how do you get into a car when you cannot bend your leg? Managed to get home by sitting across the back seat. Another question - how hard is it trying to sit on the toilet when you cannot bend your leg. I will certainly have to train my kids to put my shoes and socks on!

Glad I got the wireless system sorted out so I can sit on the sofa and do this.

I feel slightly down at the moment - perhaps delayed shock or anxiety with the lack of mobility.

Will write later

Gavin

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:06:25 PM by gavpage »
Knee injury whilst playing football Jan 06 - told to rest for two weeks
Feb 06 - knee collapsed playing football
Mar 06 Diagnosed with torn ACL and meniscus tear
3rd August - Hamstring ACL and meniscus trim

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: GAV'S POST OP DIARY
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:54:44 PM »
Hey gav.. welcome to the knee surgery club....   I had my ACLR on May 31 and I feel like a new woman.. it takes a lonnnnng time to rehab this sucker and there were days when I wondered if I have ever made a good decision in my life... 

Keep your chin up and let us know whats going on and how you are doing
cheers
Kai
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »
Hi Gav -

Glad you are back home and that things went well!

The straight leg definitely is a challenge - I had my brace locked straight for the first 12 days - not my favorite part of the whole thing - but it does get easier! (I found putting something 8 inches tall or so that I could balance my leg on in the bathroom really made things easier...no one really talks about it much - but all of that was one of the things I found MOST challenging in the first 2 weeks!).

I'm at 3 weeks - and still NWB due to a meniscus repair - and I have to admit these first days and weeks are really hard...but I'm trying to be postive and know that in the long run I'll be as good as new and able to do so many things I couldn't do if I skipped the surgery.

It's good that your wireless is up - you can cruise the internet and spend lots of time here - checking in with the rest of us and writing about how you are doing - it's your own at home therapy session  :)

Hang in there - the early days - with all the heavy pain meds - which are needed - but put you on an emotional rollercoaster - are hard - but they pass!!

Take care of yourself - and make sure to ask for help - I hate doing so - but did, especially in the first couple weeks - let your family take care of you - healing is a full time job!!

Jennifer
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
    • the4pages
Re: GAV'S POST OP DIARY (first night)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 08:35:28 AM »
I thought that one was supposed to sleep at night. I seemed to have spent most of last night awake!

I'm not a great sleeper on my back, so a) this is difficult not being able to sleep on my side, and b) really bad back pain (which is something that I do not suffer from normally)

Laid awake in bed for until 2:00 hen got up and watched some telly and made a cup of tea. Went back upstairs at 3:00 and "dosed" for an hour. 4:00 came and I got up again, and fell asleep on the settee at 5:00 until the kids came down at 6:15!!

My wife managed to sleep well, which is excellent as she is working like an angel to look after me - she was able to get back to sleep after every time I got up or moved!

Felt depressed last night with the lack of mobility I had (think most of it is through having this splint) also need to bear in mind that last night was not even 24 hours since the operation.

I'm sure I'll post some more during the day - how did others deal with sleeping during the first few days?

Thanks

Gavin

Offline rugby nut

• Forum Faithful
Re: GAV'S POST OP DIARY (Day 2)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 06:08:07 PM »
Hi there Gav. I went into Hospital at 12.30pm on thursday & also was last on the list finally going into theatre at 6.30pm. I also had a hamstring graft with minor meniscus trim.

I don't have a splint, just the tubigrip & crutches, but I certainly have some pain. I'm now almost 48 hours from the op & have no mobility in the knee at all, & can't weight bear. I've tried doing some exercises but it hurt so much I had to stop. I have huge swelling still, so until that goes away it's sitting on the sofa watching lots of sport. I've been advised to RICE for 48 hours & see how I feel.

Slept really well last night, as the first night in hospital I did'nt sleep at all. I was in a BUPA Hospital (first time) & I must say how good it was.

Most difficult thing for me is putting my pants on in the morning & swinging the injured leg off the bed/chair, & generally feeling worried that the graft is going to fail. Feeling very good with the crutches though.

I'm sure were doing the right thing. 

Good luck with yours. RugbyNut

Right ACL & Meniscus Tear playing Tennis - July 5th 2004
NHS Arthroscopy - Jan 2005
Private MRI Scan - June 2006
Private ACLR (Hamstring Graft) - 3rd August 2006

Left Knee Medial Ligament & Meniscus Tear - 2012
X Rayed, Scanned, & surgery done!! Jan 2013

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
    • the4pages
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:36:31 PM »
Thanks Rugby nut.

my leg has swollen today - can't wait to take the tubigrip off - thats planned for tomorrow morning.

Yes, getting dressed is becoming an "art" - amzing how you can use the crutches as another set of hands. Also find sitting on the tolilet a "challenge" especially with a splint on so I cannot bend my knee.

I too was at a Bupa hospital - Little Aston, part of me would have liked to stay!

Good luck for the next few days

Gavin

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »
hello gav...   well..  2nd day post op..  I really really really do not envy you..   you are in the thick of it now...   as far as acute suffering goes..   later on you deal with the frustration of the long rehab..  but right now is the worst as far as pain and disability..    I remember looking at people's knees and envying them..   I am now 2 months post op and there really is life after acl surgery..   its nots the "big" knee for nothing...  I am really grateful that I did this now and not 15-20 years ago when old farts like me were sool in terms of getting our knees back...

take care..  post and let us know how you are doing...

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
    • the4pages
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 07:58:32 PM »
Kai,

Thanks for your post - this site is good as it has people who are different phases of rehab to encourage the novices like me.

I think the hardest part for me at the moment is coping with the splint. It seems to be making my leg very heavy.

I'll post some more stuff tomorrow (or during the night depending on whether  I sleep or not!)

Thanks

Gavin

Offline cassie70

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 10:31:15 PM »
Hey Gav,
I am 6.5 weeks postop lateral release and meniscus trim. Suggestion on the sleeping, try putting a king size pillow between your knees and side sleeping. Perhaps Tylenol PM or if you're really having a problem ambien might help. Hang in there buddy!

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
    • the4pages
Gav's Post Op Diary "The Next Stage"
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 10:34:29 AM »
Well, that was another night of limited sleep - not sure what the cause is. Not a great deal of pain in my knee - most of it feels like the additional weight of the splint and not being able to sleep lying on my back.

I spent most of the night on the sette - seems to be the only place where I can get comfortable. did manage to get some sleep though.

Took the tubigrip off this morning - great relief.

My wife and family are being great and very supportive.

As well as the normal meds, I'm taking arnica for the bruising and hypericum for pain relief. not sure if its working, but as it doesn't clash with the meds, thought there is no harm.

Lets see how the day goes - think in need to do some icing now,

Talk later

Gavin

Offline rugby nut

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 11:22:10 AM »
Hi Gav. Hope you don't mind me contributing to your diary.

I had another very good nights sleep, which is strange because I hardly ever sleep this well. I was particularly stressed in the weeks prior to the op so maybe in a perverse way this enforced rest is doing me good.

For the pain, I have been given 2 x 500mg Paracetamol every 4 hours, 1 x 400mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours, & Codeine Phosphate 30mg if/when required (have only taken one so far). The knee was very stiff/sore/swollen this morning but better after the first icing session. I'm able to move it a little now. Interestingly I have quite a bit of swelling in my calf. The pain is bearable.

Were you given any photos/videos of your op? I was given Photo's & a CD from BUPA Bristol, & I've just watched the movies of my op, it's little wonder that the knee is so sore! Really clever stuff though. You don't get this from the NHS!

I just wish the swelling would go down. What do you have planned for the rehab?

Good Luck. RugbyNut.

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
    • the4pages
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 11:50:44 AM »
Hi Rugbynut,

Of course no trouble with contributing to diary.

Not sure about how rehab will go - very limited for the first two weeks, as in a splint.

Have an appointment with PT on the 16 August and then one with OS on the 19 August. I'd like to join a gym for some areobic work, but will wait to see what the physio say.

My OS a slower protocol than others, but it must work, as he does ACLs for the army, navy and some football clubs. In fact he's of to Iraq in september.

For now I'm trying to get the balance of moving around on crutches verses resting with my leg up.

Whats your re-hab like?

Gavin

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 11:31:01 PM »
I began rehab the Friday after surgery on Wednesday..... when I woke up after surgery, I was put on an CPM (continuous passive motion) machine which was moving my leg back and forth - this was to prevent stiffness...   and I am glad I had it... as when I originally injured my knee (Tai Kwan Do) I was in an immobilizer..   and it hurt like a bugger to get the range of motion back -  I was at 0 degrees extension and 90 degrees flexion at he end of the day and was released from hospital the next day.   
I spent about a week doing just quad sets and straight leg raises...   the second week was 5 minutes on the stationary bike with no resistance, followed by leg presses and step ups...  it accelerated from there..

I went to PT (physio therapy) 3 times per week for 4 weeks then discharged myself to do my own thing..
I am now doing 1 hour a day on the bike and went back to tai kwan do..   but with no kicking, sparring and one foot on the ground at both months...  I saw my OS at the 2 month mark and will see him at the end of September (4 months) to be released for jogging.  He already told me that he anticipates me returning to full activity by the end of November..  yay.. I can hardly wait..
I should mention that I am 48 years old and not physically gifted... just stubborn and lucky enough to have the time to devote to my rehab..

take care Gav...   as you can see.. life gets better for most of us... 
Kai

Offline rugby nut

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 09:36:48 AM »
Had a very positive day yesterday. Did some basic exercises from the sheet I was given, then afterwards I managed to weight bear & walk/limp without the aid of the crutches. That felt good, it was not a thing of beauty but it was a start. In the evening the knee stiffened up & the pain was back, as it is this morning.

I'm just planning to do whatever I can within the first 14 days, then take the Rehab more seriously when the swelling has gone.

I'm 48 as well by the way. Kai are you based in the US?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:35:09 PM by rugbynut »

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
    • the4pages
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 10:01:22 AM »
Another night over - I seem to have become addicted to sitting / lying on the sofa. I can't sleep when I get to bed, so come down stairs and sleep on the sofa (I don't sleep during the day!)

Hope this doesn't continue, as I'll end up with a back problem as well as a knee one.

What sort of Meds are you taking - I've been given Co-Dydramol & Tramadol, but find that I'm not needing to take the doses they suggest. Just take then when my knee starts to ache (I seem to take less rather than more)

My leg seems to be very swollen - from the knee down to the ankle - not sore, just swollen. The leg splint if uncomfortable, so when I'm just sitting on the sofa with my leg up, I tend to undo it, which is a nice relief.

I may try and use the Cryo Cuff for icing today or tomorrow - will see how it fits underneath the splint, otherwise I'll keep it until the splint comes off.

Have a good day

Gavin

support