Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI looks good, dr still says probable tear  (Read 1762 times)

Offline worriedscrmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI looks good, dr still says probable tear
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:13:41 PM »
I'm looking for someone to give me insight as to how likely it is that an MRI misses a lateral tear on the back, outside edge?  Dr. seems pretty sure its torn, but the MRI he had done doesn't show it.  We're looking at going in and planning for repair, I just wnat to be sure he's most likely right...

Offline EyeSpy21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • Surgery Video
Re: MRI looks good, dr still says probable tear
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:47:57 PM »
I sympathise but can't help much.  In a similar situation myself.  Just had my 'good' knee scanned due to symtoms very like the 'bad' knee.  Doc was happy to do arthroscopy based on my symptoms and advised the scan won't always show a tear.  Result of scan are that no tear is visible.  'Good' knee is causing more trouble than 'bad' knee at present so am tempted to have the procedure done.  However, looking at my scan I'm sure I can see white lines in the meniscus when I think it should be black, so getting a 2nd opinion on scan first.

I suppose you have to weigh up how much trouble you are having against recovery and possible resolution of symptoms from the procedure.  The procedure itself doesn't bother me half as much as the amount of meniscus I'll have left after it!!
R knee symptoms 2003
Feb 06: MRI extensive complex tear/shredded R medial meniscus
Aug 06: NHS offer removal of most of meniscus
Oct 06: Partial meniscectomy, plica resection and CMI in Germany
Mar 2008: R CMI failure
L knee symptoms 2006
Mar 2008: cartilage defect patella, pes anserine bursa

support