Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Injured Knee 5 Days Ago  (Read 1104 times)

Offline aprilstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Injured Knee 5 Days Ago
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »
I was going up my stairs and missed a step, my right leg was jammed into the upper step, while my ankle bent. I did not really have pain until the next day and some mild swelling on the inside of my leg next to the kneecap. I did the RICE routine and the ice killed me. I have been taking Motrin and icing the leg, but probably not enough. It feels better when the leg is kept straight. Also, around my kneecap feels spongy. Now today, the 5th day, the back of my knee hurts as well. How long should I wait to visit the doc?? Any advice would be appreciated.  :)

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Injured Knee 5 Days Ago
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:42:51 PM »
Why wait, you've given it 5 days and treated it as you would have been told to by your doc? ;) I would go as soon as possible just to get checked out and referred on if needed. Even minor knee injuries can take a while to recover sometimes but I'd always err on the side of caution and get checked over.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline aprilstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:53:14 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I actually have an appointment today. Will give an update thereafter.

Offline aprilstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 10:59:40 PM »
Well, my GP manipulated by right leg around the knee and it hurts more now than it did before! She gave me a pain killer and told me to continue RICE. She ordered an x-ray of my knee, which was taken, but I won't know the results yet.

My question now is...if the x-ray does not show anything and my pain continues, would an MRI be feasible? :'(

Offline aprilstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 04:45:51 PM »
Well, the x-ray came back negative for fracture, etc.. I knew it wasn't fractured, but I am beginning to believe I have an issue with a ligament. My doc said to continue to RICE. Well, quite frankly, I am sick of the RICE method! It has been a little over a week since my injury and my knee still feels the same. Am I freaking out?

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 05:12:19 PM »
OK it's a bit difficult to say without knowing what tests your doc did, GPs aren't always adept at knee tests but some are. Does your knee feel unstable when you walk? Where is the pain?
Even just bruising can take a few weeks to settle down and minor ligament sprains can take up to 8 weeks to heal so if your GP has tested for instability and not found any she has gone for the obvious choice of more rice. Yes it is boring but it does work.
You would have to wait a while for an MRI and they aren't always conclusive for meniscus and ligament tears. It may be worth you going back and asking for a physio referral if there is no improvement in the next week or so. Take a look around the site and look up some basic exercises you can do to keep all your muscles working without putting any undue strain on your already sore knee.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Vokeefe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 01:06:05 AM »
How did it turn out, April?