Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyalgen injections and pain  (Read 13873 times)

Offline rwilson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hyalgen injections and pain
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 12:49:46 PM »
I'm new to the forum but I've been getting Synvisc shots for two years now (Two sets so far)and Like xisbum said(another Tennis Nut on the board), They last about three months if I play hard and on hard courts, longer if on soft courts. I'm three months from my last shot now and recouping from playing takes longer. So I have to limit my playing to only twice a week.
  My doctor allways uses a freeze spray when giving shots in my knee so I really don't feel anything except later some aching like a bruise.
   Has anyone ever heard of another type of shot that is given to animals for the same reason? Can't remember the name but it was talked about as having a longer result with dogs and horses.

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »
Yes, mine used the spray too but the needle still hurt going in but only for a second.  It really was no big deal.  My knee felt really good right after my shot but then it got a bit sore around the injection site.  This morning there's a little muscle sorness and a little puffyness but nothing  I can't deal with.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
Do the injections significantly help alleviate knee stiffness??
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

Offline latennis1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 07:27:16 PM »
Hi All,

This is my first post. I just got back from the OS and we are going to try the SYNVISC. I hope this works, it seems that my case is a little less severe than most of your so I hope it works as it seems it has for some of you. I basically had orthroscopic on my rt knee in 1999, been holding up OK so far, but now its my left knee's turn. If this doesn't work, he is going in. My rt knee literally gave out without warning, I was in brace for 4 months plus therpay but it didn't help. My left knee, hurts about 90% of the time but hasnt gone out. I hope this helps although it is the opinion of many DRs that I will need surgery at some point. I am only 33.

Offline benson-az

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
See www.gebauerco.com for information on Ethyl Chloride spray. It comes in a spray bottle or presurized can for applying on an area to temporarily provide an anesthetic effect for injections, starting IV's, minor surgery, etc..

It is available my prescription from some drug stores. Wal-Mart didn't have it.

The chemical is sprayed on the skin for 4 seconds so one can lasts quite a long time.

My rheumatologist has his own bottle that he uses each time I get a hyalgen shot.

Offline neuf350z

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Deb Neufell Photography
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 02:48:30 AM »
I was wondering about these injections as well so this is good info!

I've had 2 cortizone shots which I thought were very painful.  The first one crystalized in my joint after a few hours of injection and caused tremendous pain.  I got another shot about a year later out of desperation from my knee pain, but it did nothing for me.  I'm hoping my doctor will suggest Synvisc, Orthovisc, etc. in hopes that will ease my pain.
1st LR surgery 1997 (left) - 2nd LR surgery 1/05 (left) - 3rd LR 11/05 (right)

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 03:16:04 AM »
The pain from these injections doesn't come from the needle piercing the skin, but from the steroid in the joint.  Putting an anesthetic on the skin is silly, imho.  I won't waste my money that way.  Heck, just have someone pat your hand, and it'll offer the same benefit. 

I will waste my money on Marcaine instead of Lidocaine.  Some people get a flare reaction from the steroid.  Marcaine anesthetizes the joint for a much longer period of time than lidocaine, but lidocaine's cheaper.  Marcaine can provide relief if you get the flare reaction.  Reimbursement to physicians is the same regardless of the componenets of the injection.  I'll spend a few extra dollars to give my patiets Marcaine because in some people it's beneficial.  The local is not beneficial, though, and I won't give it....even if a patient asks for it.

~dig