Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: synvisc injections  (Read 5079 times)

Offline coxsarah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
synvisc injections
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
Hello,

I am asking for advice from you all reagarding my right knee.  I suffer from Tendonitis in the knee, I have had two open pattella decompressions with two key hole operations inbetween them on the tendon. 

I have tried the blood injections to my knee - with no success.  Now my surgeon has suggested trying Synvisc injections before going back down the decompression route again.

I'm told I have grade III damage to the knee cap.  Anyone out there have any advice for me. 

I used to be a very fit and active sports lady playing football at a  very high level, now I can just about walk!  Help  :-\

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
Re: synvisc injections
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »
There are a couple of thread that address the Synvisc injections. People seem to have had varied reactions to them, from good to bad to indifferent.  Did you have any luck with the decompressions?  What I read about the blood injections - they are meant to rebuild cartilage so I'm not sure they would have been expected to help with the tendinitis, but maybe with the grade III damage. Big help aren't I?

Connie

Offline coxsarah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
No probs Connie, thanks for replying.  No the decompressions haven't worked... spose it's going down the three times lucky route  :)

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
I had the injections in my right knee and I will never bother with them again. It did me no good. Now that is not saying that it wont help you. My mom had them done and they worked great for her. But as for me they where not worth the $200 that I had to pay for them.
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
I had them and they did give me 3 good months totally pain free.  I did have a few side effects right after the injections but nothing too bad.  Do your research because there are really mixed feeling about them as you'll find from people on this board.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
Don't think I would agree to another decompression if the first 2 didn't work. Maybe time to seek an opinion from someone else?

Connie

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:51:07 AM »
Hey There!
I had them and they worked for me. I have grade 4 patella and grade 4 trochelear groove with a chondrol defect. It might be worth it if your insurance pays and most do nowawadays. -Summer

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:38:32 AM »
I had Synvisc, and it didn't help.  It just made my knees worse.  I have talked to about 6+ people at my church, who also tried Synvisc.  Not one of us had relief, just more pain. 
I think it is a new pricey thing, mine got charged as a $580+ surgical procedure per knee.  So the OS seem to push it, but I think only the minority get any real lasting relief. 
My mom's OS suggested it to her on Thursday, I advised her NOT to do it.  It hurts for a long time after the shot, and did me no good.  And if they add marcaine to it, it cuts the synvisc's effectiveness.
Just my humble opinion and limited experience with hearsay thrown in.  Sarah MN
3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 03:56:27 AM »
I have had much success with Duralane which may only be available in Canada...only one shot but fairly expensive....
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
I had a 3 shot course of Supartz before my right knee got to bone on bone (all the insurance would approve at the time) and it did nothing. Last year, starting in MArch, by then at bone-on-bone OA, I had 5 SUpartz shots as a last ditch effort to postpone what seemed to be an inevitable replacement. They did nothing again. I had a PKR this past September which finally got rid of the OA pain.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline coxsarah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »
Thank you to you all for all your feedback, it was very helpful.  I think i'm not going to have them and as you said Connie get another opinion.

Thanks again!

Sarah ;D

Offline Lea50

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I had 2 synvisc injections into my left knee.  My reaction was so severe I could not receive the 3rd.  I actually had a systemtic reaction.  Flu like symptons, chills, hives, etc. The information says its rare!  But it happenes.  I will not be having any more injections.  Waiting for possible pattlofemoral replacement.  Have you had cortisone shots yet?  I also had a reaction to that.  They only worked for about a week for me.  Not worth it. :-[

Good luck with your decision?  Maybe a second opinion? I going for my 3rd opinion.

Lea 
Injury 4/08 left knee
10/20/09 PFJR, LR
6/25/10 LOA, Synovectomy , MUA
7/7/10 Cellulitis
7/26/10 Staph infection PICC Line IV antibiotics-3 months
8/4/10 Debridement MR LR and Synovectomy
12/10 Allergy Methyl Methacrylate Chemical in Bone cement
3/8/11 Remove PFJR/Cement less TKR with TTO

support