Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyalgen injections and pain  (Read 13868 times)

Offline dwest

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hyalgen injections and pain
« on: August 02, 2006, 06:46:47 PM »
I am scheduled to start Hyalgen injections in two weeks.  I see a few posts which say they are painful, others which say they are not.  I am worried about the pain.  If you have had these injections, could you let me know how it went?  I have had cortizone shots in the tendons around the knee and also in the heel of my foot.  These were quite painful.  I'm hoping it's not like that.  I am also concerned about any discomfort following the injections.  Does it impede mobility for any period of time?  Are they worth it?  I am just trying to prolong the period until I do a complete knee replacement. 

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline xisbum

• Regular Poster
  • Tennis nut raging against reality
Re: Hyalgen injections and pain
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 09:56:46 PM »
Hey, DW. I had Synvisc injections about 10 months ago, and the actual injectinos (3) didn't hurt at all. They seemed to help for about 2 months - but after a couple of hard tennis outings, the pain returned. Your reaction may be different.

But the actual injecvtions aren't that bad, if the doc knows what he or she is doing. And I know everyone is different, so I won't say "piece of cake." Hope this calms your anxiety a bit.

Rob in Virginia
Baby boomer and tennis nut raging against reality.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 10:13:04 PM »
Hi,

I've also had the injections and you might notice a little pain the next day - like you experience from a bruise.  That's what I felt anyway.  Hope the injections manage to give you some relief. 
Following the injections you should be taking it easy and don't overexert.

Wishing you good luck with the injections.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline loopiegirlie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:20:32 AM »
hi--
i had three separate hyalgen injections in the last year.  i would say the pain was only what i call achey the next day.  nothing worse than what i had been through.  the actual injections themselves hurt a little, but nothing to complain about too much after the first one.

Offline 0802kja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »
I had two courses of these injections.  The first was Synvisc (three injections) and the second was Supartz (five injections).  The injections were not painful.  I felt a very quick prick, followed by a feeling of pressure as the liquid entered my knee.  The feeling of pressure was not painful.  The injections go very quickly, and you will be in and out of the doctor's office in no time at all.  I had good results from the first round of injections (pain relief for 7 months), but my arthritis was too advanced for the second round to make much of a difference.  My biggest "complaint" about the injections was the "pain" of having to go to the doctor so many times in the course of a few weeks.  I hope that you are pleased with the results.

Karen

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 06:58:52 PM »
I agree that the biggest pain about the shots was having to go to the doctors office so many times (5 in 5 weeks for Supartz). The actual shot did no hurt at all and so far so good for me I got my last shot at the beginning of June and still doing good (fingers are crossed)

Best of luck to you

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 09:41:32 PM »
My fourth Hyalgan shot is going to be Monday 8/7.  The shot itself it's not really painful.  My only problems is I do get a little stiff within 8 hours of the shot.  Turns out my normal rehab day falls on the day of the shot which makes things interesting.  My OS said the only limiting factor for me was the underlying cartilage/bone stuff.  He wasn't worried about working out hard the day of the shot per se.  I just started to notice a difference after #3 when we decided to use a lateral approach to the shot versus medial.  For some reason the medial appraoch for the first two irritated my medial joint a bit and it didn't calm down between shots.

Good luck,

J
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:33:33 AM »
I always had injections on the lateral side. 

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »
My doctor and I decided that SYNVISC is the next step for me as well so I will be getting my first shot in a few weeks.  I was concerned about the amount of pain at the time of the injection too so it's good to hear all these people say that it wasn't that bad.  I really hope they work for me.  I'm only 43 years old!  I'm not ready to just sit and be content rocking in my rocking chair on the porch.

Teresa

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 01:32:25 AM »
Well, this is encouraging.  I'm supposed to make my appointments tomorrow for 5 injections of Hyalgen, bilateral.  The only thing that freaks me out (ok, there are 2 things) is first of all the whole concept of a needle going into my tender little joints (yikes) and secondly that it might hurt.  I'm such a wienie - I can tolerate all kinds of pain that is associated with arthritis, etc. - but I manage that and understand it and it's sort of in my control.  The idea of someone else doing something to my knees that could hurt is kind of out of the window for me.  Of course, this could be why I tolerated a torn meniscus on both knees for many years w/associated pain, immobility, locking...and finally a fall before getting any treatment...ya think?  Anyway - all of you are very encouraging and so I'll do it.  Thanks.
--Denise
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 01:41:00 AM »
I can truthfully say that you will be able to take it.  The only thing you may feel is the pressure of the needle but if your doctor is as gentle as mine.. It will be one two three.

Here is the deal .. You will be put up on the bench.. Knees dangle down..     The doctor will mark the area he will be injecting you to make an imprint.    I freaked the first time the doctor did it.. I was like ..  But arent you going to put some numbing stuff on it first..  He said after he marks the spot.  So the numbing stuff takes seconds.. and before you can blink an eye you are looking away and the first needle goes in.. This is the numbing needle...   ( I say this is a needle my doctor says he doesnt count it as a needle  the debate goes on )   Than the injection needle goes in.. He may inject you with the first needle and than keep the needle head in there for the second injection.. .. 

I find holding ones breath and sqinting eyes tightly works for me..   After he is done . he pulls out the needle .. you may see some blood or not..  dont worry..    Than next thing you know..  your doctor is putting a band aid on ya.. and you are off.     At times I thought my doctor would put the bandaid on like a parent would do to a kid.  ya know your boo boo will be better.

I went to work ....  The first shot was fine.. The second shot a little tender.. The third shot.. I got cortizone as well.

The worse part is waiting for the darn OS to come into the room

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 04:42:31 AM »
THANK YOU!!!  I'm still going to premedicate...Eeeuw.  Freaks me out to even think about it.  Got all creepy just reading your post.  But I really appreciate the info.  :)
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 08:27:10 PM »
I had my first Synvisc shot a few days ago. The Novacaine (sp?) hurt - like a bee sting. The Synvisc was fine - a bit of pressure, but that was it. It didn't get sore until a few hours after the injections - maybe I was still numb? I was pretty uncomfortable for the first 20-24 hours afterward, although that's relative, if you think about it. Would any of us be going for injections if we hadn't already experienced a fair amount of discomfort? From what I've heard and seen, side effects can vary quite a bit with different people and different shots - next injection may be better or worse. I have 4 weeks of shots to go; based on my experience this week, I'm planning to take it easy the day after the shot - this time I just didn't feel like doing much (even standing up from the toilet was very painful).

Injections don't work for everyone...they *have* to work for me - I've been surviving only with huge amounts of Advil (which I'm not supposed to take at all - acid reflux), my unloader brace, ice, and occasionally crutches. My next option after this is a TKR, which I really shouldn't have until I'm older.
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 07:02:20 PM »
I'm getting my first shot on thursday (09-14) I'm going to prepare myself for the worst possible pain I can think of and hopefully, then it will be like, "Oh, that was nothing." hahaha

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »
Kit

Believe me you will think it nothing .. A little stress about getting a needle but not major hurt.

Offline rwilson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 12:49:46 PM »
I'm new to the forum but I've been getting Synvisc shots for two years now (Two sets so far)and Like xisbum said(another Tennis Nut on the board), They last about three months if I play hard and on hard courts, longer if on soft courts. I'm three months from my last shot now and recouping from playing takes longer. So I have to limit my playing to only twice a week.
  My doctor allways uses a freeze spray when giving shots in my knee so I really don't feel anything except later some aching like a bruise.
   Has anyone ever heard of another type of shot that is given to animals for the same reason? Can't remember the name but it was talked about as having a longer result with dogs and horses.

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »
Yes, mine used the spray too but the needle still hurt going in but only for a second.  It really was no big deal.  My knee felt really good right after my shot but then it got a bit sore around the injection site.  This morning there's a little muscle sorness and a little puffyness but nothing  I can't deal with.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
Do the injections significantly help alleviate knee stiffness??
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

Offline latennis1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 07:27:16 PM »
Hi All,

This is my first post. I just got back from the OS and we are going to try the SYNVISC. I hope this works, it seems that my case is a little less severe than most of your so I hope it works as it seems it has for some of you. I basically had orthroscopic on my rt knee in 1999, been holding up OK so far, but now its my left knee's turn. If this doesn't work, he is going in. My rt knee literally gave out without warning, I was in brace for 4 months plus therpay but it didn't help. My left knee, hurts about 90% of the time but hasnt gone out. I hope this helps although it is the opinion of many DRs that I will need surgery at some point. I am only 33.

Offline benson-az

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
See www.gebauerco.com for information on Ethyl Chloride spray. It comes in a spray bottle or presurized can for applying on an area to temporarily provide an anesthetic effect for injections, starting IV's, minor surgery, etc..

It is available my prescription from some drug stores. Wal-Mart didn't have it.

The chemical is sprayed on the skin for 4 seconds so one can lasts quite a long time.

My rheumatologist has his own bottle that he uses each time I get a hyalgen shot.

Offline neuf350z

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Deb Neufell Photography
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 02:48:30 AM »
I was wondering about these injections as well so this is good info!

I've had 2 cortizone shots which I thought were very painful.  The first one crystalized in my joint after a few hours of injection and caused tremendous pain.  I got another shot about a year later out of desperation from my knee pain, but it did nothing for me.  I'm hoping my doctor will suggest Synvisc, Orthovisc, etc. in hopes that will ease my pain.
1st LR surgery 1997 (left) - 2nd LR surgery 1/05 (left) - 3rd LR 11/05 (right)

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 03:16:04 AM »
The pain from these injections doesn't come from the needle piercing the skin, but from the steroid in the joint.  Putting an anesthetic on the skin is silly, imho.  I won't waste my money that way.  Heck, just have someone pat your hand, and it'll offer the same benefit. 

I will waste my money on Marcaine instead of Lidocaine.  Some people get a flare reaction from the steroid.  Marcaine anesthetizes the joint for a much longer period of time than lidocaine, but lidocaine's cheaper.  Marcaine can provide relief if you get the flare reaction.  Reimbursement to physicians is the same regardless of the componenets of the injection.  I'll spend a few extra dollars to give my patiets Marcaine because in some people it's beneficial.  The local is not beneficial, though, and I won't give it....even if a patient asks for it.

~dig

support